Joel Amick was born September 26, 1839 in Oregon Township, Indiana. His father, Riley Amick, a native of Carolina, was an early settler in Clark county. Mr. Amick, the subject of this sketch, followed farming till 1873, when he went into business at New Market. He was married, in 1860 to Miss Nancy J. Coctores, daughter of Elias Coctores, of Clark county. They have three children - Rosa A., William P., and Charlie G. Mr. and Mrs. Amick are members of the United Brethren Church.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Mr. Joseph Ashton was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1806. His father Abraham Ashton, came to Utica, Clark county, Indiana in 1818, where he died in 1827 at the age of forty-six. His wife, Hannah (Cloud), survived him thirty-eight years. They only left one son, the subject of this sketch.

Joseph Ashton was married in 1829 to Miss Lorinda {or "Marinda"} Prather, of Clark county. She died in 1880 at the age of sixty-nine years, leaving a family of three sons and four daughters, most of whom are citizens of the county. Two of the sons served their country as soldiers for the Union - Joseph Edwin in the Fifty-seventy Indiana volunteer infantry, and Charles B. in the Eighty-first regiment. Joseph died at Jefferson barracks, Missouri in 1863.

NOTE FROM LOIS MAUK: My records indicate the following descendants of Joseph Ashton and Marinda Prather Ashton:
Esther ASHTON b: 1834
Katherine ASHTON b: 1836
Abraham ASHTON b: 1837
Joseph Edwin ASHTON b: 1840
Charles ASHTON b: 1843
John ASHTON b: 1848
Ezra ASHTON b: 1850
Susan ASHTON b: 1852

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Professor John F. Baird is a native of Clark County, the son of Dr. John Baird, whose father emigrated from Ireland. Professor Baird was a graduate of Hanover College, is a Presbyterian minister, and now professor in Hanover College. He was an exemplary young man, and a close student, and bids fair to be useful in any position that he may be placed.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Abner Biggs, who resides near Henryville, Clark County, is a widely known native-born citizen of this community. At close of the Civil War he started on his career as a farmer in his present location, and during the years since then he has met with the success which his hard-working disposition deserved. His personality has at all times been marked with the qualities which engender a sense of trustfulness and mutual helpfulness among his neighbors. As a consequence he has made many life-long friends. He is the son of one of the older pioneers who engaged in many a grim encounter with the Indians from behind the palisade of the old fort which stood east of the present town of Henryville in those primitive days. The elder Biggs was in the fort at the time of the Pigeon Roost massacre.

Abner Biggs was born January 28, 1844, in Monroe Township on the farm on which he now lives. He is the son of Abner and Emily (Miller) Biggs. Abner Biggs, senior, was born about 1799. In early life he lived with his father on the old Indian trail northeast of Henryville. Later, as stated above, he became an Indian fighter and was known as a man of great nerve and a good shot. There were large numbers of Indians in the immediate neighborhood in his day, and on one occasion he came within a narrow margin of being kidnapped by them; the event being planned with all the craftiness of the Aborigine. Abner Biggs, Sr., was also a farmer and stock raiser. In his youth he attended school in the old log subscription schools. He acquired timber land which included our subject’s farm. In those days blazed trails through the woods were the only roads available and civilization throughout the entire middle west was in its early stages. The mother of Abner Biggs was born February 6, 1802, in Clark County. Her marriage took place about 1820, and fifteen children were born to the union, Abner being the thirteenth in order of birth, and his brother, James, was the first person buried in Mount Zion Cemetery. His father died in December, 1872, in Henryville, and his mother at the age of ninety-one in 1893.

Abner Biggs started on his way in life when about eighteen years of age. In the year 1865 he enlisted in the Union Army at Jeffersonville, in Company H, One Hundred Forty-fourth Indiana Volunteers, under command of Colonel Riddle and Capt. Stephen Cole. While on their way to Richmond, Virginia, news of Lee’s surrender was brought. Soon after, our subject was mustered out of service at Indianapolis. As a Civil War veteran he is a well known member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Post. No. 461, at Henryville. On his return home he married in the year 1872, Mary Gray, who was born in 1850 in Clark County. She died April 13, 1891, having borne her husband eight children. They were Claude L. who was born December 3, 1873, and died June 18, 1874; Jessie was born July 24, 1875, and married Matthew Clegg; they have four children and live in Monroe Township. Edgar H. was born August 19, 1876, and lives in Jeffersonville; Herman, born March 14, 1878, married Hettie Wells, lives in Monroe Township, and has two children; Alec G., born January 7, 1880, married Laura McClellan; they have one child and live in Monroe Township; Bertha M., born December 13, 1882, married John Nash; she lives in Oklahoma and has one child. Emma G. was born on March 7, 1885, and Anna I., who married Ernest Thomas, and lives in Clark County, was born June 7, 1886.

Our subject married secondly on October 11, 1896, Mamie Wells, who was previously married to John Pfister. Mamie (Wells) Pfister was born in 1867, February 20th, and was the daughter of Isaac and Lucy (Hall) Wells. She was born in Kentucky, her people being all Kentuckians, and came to Clark County when she was about five or six years old. Mrs. Biggs had two children by her first marriage, viz: Thomas F. Pfister, born December 28, 1886, and Annie May, born February 21, 1888, who died August 25, 1896. Mrs. Biggs has become the mother of one child, Claude R., born July 4, 1898, by her second marriage.

Abner Biggs is a Republican in politics and a staunch party supporter, though not himself desirous of public life. He received his education in the schools of the county, and in religious life belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Though he himself did not see extended service in the Civil War, his brother, Robert, did, having served all through that conflict.

submitted by: Robin K. Reed
Baird’s History of Clark County, 1909

George W. Bowell was born in Clark County in March 1817. He is oldest son of Mr. Basil Bowel, who emigrated to Indiana from Pennsylvania in 1811. He was at that time a single man.

In 1814 he and Miss Catharine Pownston, a native of Pennsylvania, were united in marriage. They began life together in Union Township, where they raised a family of seven children.

George W. Bowel, the subject of this sketch, was married in 1847 to Miss Martha Williams, whose father came to the State in a very early day. Mr. Bowel's family consisted of four children, two of whom are living.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Major Daniel Bower emigrated from North Carolina to Clark county with his father, and settled near New Washington, when there were but few settlers. He married Catharine Hostetler. Major Bower was a man of considerable influence and had the confidence of his fellow citizens. He served as member of the Legislature and also as county commissioner. He was the owner of several hundred acres of land; was a farmer and trader, often trading South with boats of produce. He died at Natchez, Mississippi in 1843. His widow still lives at the old homestead.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

J. A. Burns was born May 24, 1826 in Carr Township in Clark County and has ever lived in the State with the exception of six years in Iowa. His father, Micah Burns, a native of Vermont, came to Indiana in an early day and located in Clark county, where he died in 1877, in his eighty-second year.

Mr. J. A. Burns is engaged in milling at New Providence and does an extensive business. He was married in 1848 to Miss Christina Baker, daughter of Jonas Baker. They have five children: Sarah J., Micah, Charles, P., Adaline, and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. Burns are members of the Christian church.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Andrew J. Carr is a well-to-do farmer near Charlestown, and was born in this county March 22, 1822. After completing his education in Greencastle and Hanover colleges he studied law, but never practiced the profession. He served as lieutenant in the war with Mexico, under Captain Gibson; was a private secretary under Governor Whitcomb; was a member of the State Legislature; and about the time of the war was treasurer of Clark County for four years. He was married to Miss Sarah Whiteman about the year 1851, and had by this union four children, three sons and one daughter. The oldest son, Joseph L. Carr married Miss Ida Baldock.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Francis M. Carr, M. D. was born January 3, 1831 in Charlestown township, and has ever since resided in the county with the exception of three or four years in Washington county. His father, Absalom, was a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He came to Clark county in 1806 and was one of the early pioneers of Indiana. He was a brother of General Carr, and was a Tippecanoe soldier. He died in 1876. Mr. Carr graduated at the University of Louisville in 1855 and has ever since practiced in Clark county. He was married in 1854 to miss Martha E. Coctores daughter of Daniel Coctores, of Oregon township. They have had eight boys seven of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Carr are members of the Presbyterian church.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

James Carr was born and raised in Clark county. He is the son of Joseph Carr, and a nephew of General John Carr; his mother was a daughter of James Drummond, one of the first settlers of Clark county. The mother of Mr. Carr having been left a widow, with a large family of children, managed the farm, and accumulated considerable property. Mr. Carr is a well-to-do farmer.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

J. Leander Carr is the son of Mr. Milford Carr, who was the son of Colonel John Carr, one of the pioneers of Clark county. Leander was born in this county in 1836. In 1867 he and Miss R. Eva Ryan, daughter of James Ryan of Henryville, were united in marriage. Mr. Carr was born in Clark county in 1854. The have one son. Mr. Carr is one of the leading merchants of Henryville.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

M. B. Cole, merchant of Charlestown, was born in 1825 in Clark County. His father, Christopher Cole, born in 1802 moved here in 1822, and was during a period of sixteen years, assistant sergeant-at-arms in the House of Representatives. He also followed mercantile pursuits in Charlestown, but retired in 1846. Mr. M. B. Cole was educated during his early life to close business habits, and has during his whole life been a successful merchant, having followed that pursuit for forty years. During the war his sales run to almost an unprecedented figure, and since that time have continued good, and now he is ready to retire from active service for a quiet life. He owns a farm adjoining town, where he lives. In 1848 he was married to Miss Margaret Long. His two sons are married and in business with him.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

C. H. Coombs was born in Clark county, Indiana in 1848. He is the fifth son of Jesse J. Coombs, an early settler of the township. Mr. C. H. Coombs was married in 1878 to Miss Alice Dietz, of Union Township. He is a member of the firm of J. D. Coombs & Brother, proprietors of the Silver Creek Flouring mills, of Memphis, Clark County, Indiana.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Madison Coombs was born in Clark county, Indiana in 1835. He is the third child of Jesse Coombs. Madison Coombs was married in 1856 to Miss Mary White, daughter of Absolom White, of Memphis. Their family consists of four children, all of whom are living. He has for the last ten years been a leading merchant in Memphis, and is at present stationmaster of the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis, railroad at Memphis.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

James A. Clegg, retired farmer of Henryville, Clark County, is a well known and respected member of the community in which he has lived and a man whose family has been actively associated with the prosperity and progress of that section of the state. His father {Capt. Matthew Clegg} was known throughout Clark County as a lawyer of ability and reputation, and a man of honorable character. Our subject was himself a participant in the Civil War, and at the close of his term of service was discharged with honor. Since that time he has been most successful in his farming pursuits.

James A. Clegg was born on February 2, 1839, in Wood Township, Clark County, and was the son of Matthew and Martha C. (Allen) Clegg. Matthew Clegg was born in the year 1799 in Pennsylvania, and came to Clark County where he located, near Utica, when he was quite young. He lived there a short time and then lived on Silver Creek, at which place his parents, who also came to Clark County, both died. He got little regular education, but succeeded in educating himself through home study in his spare time. In this manner he took up the study of law and became one of the best pioneer lawyers of his day in Clark County. He became judge of the Criminal Court and was Prosecuting Attorney for many years. He participated in the Civil War as first lieutenant in Company M, Fifth Indiana Cavalry, emerging from the conflict as a captain after three years’ service. Having been captured at Macon, Georgia, by the Southern troops he spent six months in Libby prison. Three sons, one of whom was our subject, served with him. James A. was in the same company with his father, a brother and two nephews. The brother, whose name was Matthew, died in Andersonville prison. Returning from the war the older Clegg went back to his law practice in this part of the county, and previous to his death in 1881, lived in Henryville for many years. His first marriage to Catherine Anderson occurred about 1835. They had two children, both of whom died when young. His second wife Martha C. Allen, was the daughter of James and Mary (McBride) Allen. The second Mrs. Clegg’s parents were married about 1837; her mother being born about the year 1819 or 1820 and was a native of Ohio. James A. Clegg is the second of a family of fourteen children. The death of both parents occurred on the same day, the 6th of February, 1881, in Henryville. The elder Clegg was one of the best known men in Clark County and well liked by everyone.

James A. Clegg started for himself at the time of his marriage in 1860 to Martha Dietz, who was born in 1840 in Monroe Township. She was the daughter of John Frederick and Sarah (Lewis) Dietz. John F. Dietz was born on the 4th day of October, 1788, and died March 15, 1874; his wife was born April 23, 1806 and died on the 5th of November, 1873. John F. Dietz was also known as a large fruit grower. His parents came from Philadelphia.

James A. Clegg enlisted in Company M, Fifth Indiana Cavalry, in 1862, at Jeffersonville. He joined as a private and at the end of three years was mustered out as a sergeant. At the end of the war he became a farmer in Monroe Township at which occupation he remained until ten years ago, when he retired and came to Henryville. He obtained his education in the subscription schools of Clark County. In politics he is a Republican and in religion is a member of the Christian Church. He is commander of the local post No. 461, Grand Army of the Republic at Henryville. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Clegg: Richard M., who was born September 19, 1861, married Ellen Cain; they live in Cainville, Missouri, and have two children. Mary A. was born July 7, 1865, and married John Copeland; they live at Mannford, Oklahoma, and have three children. Sarah C. Clegg was born July 28, 1868, and married Charles M. Clark; they live in Jeffersonville and have five children. John W. was born April 7, 1871, and lives in Oklahoma; Matthew S. was born May 13, 1873; he married Jessie Biggs; they live in Clark County and have four children. James A. was born on the 28th day of June, 1876; he married, has one child and lives in Oklahoma, being an undertaker at Mannford. Frank, the youngest child, was born August 3, 1879, and remains at home with his parents.

James A. Clegg, his wife and son live comfortably in their nice home in Henryville. Both the elder people are still well preserved and enjoy good health.

submitted by: Robin K. Reed
Baird’s History of Clark County, 1909

In the last paper mention was made of Captain Matthew Clegg and his son Matthew (Polk) Clegg, who went into the Civil War as members of the Fifth Indiana Cavalry, the last named perishing so miserable in Andersonville prison. Such a patriot and patriarch as the elder Clegg deserves special mention in these sketches. Matthew Clegg was born in Virginia, April 25, 1810, and came to Clark County, Indiana, in 1824. Early in life he became a farmer, and up to the day of his death he was engaged in that occupation, or interested in it. He was married to his second wife, Martha Allen, January 28, 1836. Thirteen children were born to them, nine of whom survive. Up to the time of death of Captain Clegg and wife sixty-nine grandchildren and ten great-grand children had been born, nearly all of whom are alive yet. In 1862 he entered the army as a Liutenant (sic) of Co. L, 5th Indiana Cavalry, and was mustered out in 1865. After the war he resumed farming, also engaging in the practice of law. At one time he was elected by the Democratic party as Prosecutor of the Clark and Floyd Circuit Court. Although he was not considered a finished and educated lawyer, he made one of the most efficient and effective Prosecutors the two counties ever had. In some respects his life was eventful and deeply exciting. At one time he was engaged in a dispute over the ownership of a farm with a William Patterson, his nephew by marriage. He went to the farm to take possession, and was shot through the left lung by a hidden assassin. Patterson fled and his family soon followed, to Missouri. These facts directed suspicion to Patterson as the guilty party. Mr. Clegg lay for some time hovering between life and death, but finally recovered to live over a quarter of a century, and considering this incident, with the trying exposure of the army, and his inexpressible suffering at Andersonville, his vigor and tenacity of life were almost unexampled. Mr. Clegg was a loyal, devoted friend, and once engaged in a quarrel he punished his enemies severely. Himself and wife were members of the Second Advent Church. He was zealous and liberal for his favorite sect, and his influence has left a plant that will live many years, if not all time. He was a hospitable, kind and Christian man, and was a strong prohibitionist.

Mrs. Clegg was born near the present town of Henryville, then a howling wilderness, December 10, 1818. She was a sister of Cass Allen and Mrs. Phineas Taylor, of Union Township. She was an industrious, quiet, modest woman, a true Christian and a faithful, loyal wife. She left her impression on the generation that survives, and during all the struggles of her husband was a true ally and counsellor (sic).

It was a singular coincidence that both these old people died the same day, February 6, 1892. During the severe weather of January preceding, while Mr. Clegg was at a well in his yard, watering a horse, he slipped on the ice, falling on his breast from which injuries death indirectly resulted. He was about his house for two or three days afterward, then took to his bed with pneumonia, never again to leave it. He died about 7 A.M. Mrs. Clegg, who was taken with the same disease about ten days previously, steadily advanced toward dissolution until about 12 o’clock the same day, when she entered into everlasting rest without having been informed that her life partner had just preceded her five hours. Both these venerable patriarchs were conscious to the last. In their death two landmarks of the early days of the century were removed. Such was the life of this couple who dwelt together in love, peace and unity for 56 years. United in life, undivided in death, is a privilege rarely accorded to man and wife. Both were full of years and ripe for the reaper.

In Monroe township, and particularly Henryville, where they lived so many years, the memory of the late Capt. and Mrs. Matthew Clegg will be long cherished. They died February 6th, and the absence of the portly and familiar figure of Mr. Clegg from the village streets upon which it was his habit to stroll at any hour of the day, is much commented upon by elderly citizens who miss his cordial greetings and kindly smile of recognition. They fully realize that in his death an old landmark has been removed. In his later years Mr. Clegg was a strong Prohibitionist. His last race for office, that of Prosecuting Attorney of the Circuit Court was made on that platform. He had the courage of his convictions on temperance, and boldly maintained them though fully aware his defeat was certain. People listened patiently and interestedly to his remarks and admitted the justness of his views, but in almost every instance they voted with the older political parties. If Mr. Clegg had a hobby it was that of temperance, and in his public utterances, though intending perhaps to discuss a theme entirely different from his favorite one, it was rare indeed if he did not before closing drift into the very one he had endeavored to avoid. He had the most utter contempt for those engaged in the liquor traffic seeming to regard them as the devil’s emmissaries (sic). Mr. Clegg delivered the Decoration Day address at Mt. Zion, May 30, 1886. He stood in the shadow of the old church, since torn down, and opened with a glowing eulogy to the memory of those brave boys in blue who had fought, bled and died that the Union might be preserved. He continued in this strain for some time, citing many incidents of his army life, but apparently ere himself or his hearers were aware of it he had drifted into the temperance arena and was hurling thunderbolts of the most withering and stinging anathema at the cohorts of King Alcohol. Several of his hearers laughingly called it a cavalry charge into the ranks of the great fore to the human race, for Mr. Clegg was an officer of the 5th Indiana Cavalry, though objecting in civil life to being addressed by his military title. Others declared that tribute to the fallen soldiery the most fearful arraignment of the saloon keeping element they had ever heard. It was enough to make a bar-keeper’s hair curl to listen to it. Shortly before Mr. Clegg’s death, the Record reporter met him on a Henryville street. It was their last meeting. The old gentleman seemed in a thoughtful mood, even despondent. He was waiting the opening of a magistrate’s court, a trial having been set for a hearing in which he was to represent the plaintiff. The attorney for defendant had arrived by an early train and forthwith began screwing his courage up to the point argumentative by so many visits to the saloon that he had a large and unweildy “jag” of liquor concealed within his paunch. “Now” said Clegg, “of all things detestable there’s nothing worse then to contend in a county court with a drunken lawyer on the opposing side, and with that fellow getting drunker every minute, how we’ll manage to get through with this side, and with this case without running it into a farce, heaven only knows”. As he extended his hand at parting, he said “Young man, if I could write like you can, I’d quit reporting these village dog fights and write a novel or a series of novels.” The result of the trial was that the drunken lawyer lost his case. Mr. Clegg’s last appearance in court was in a case venued from ????, and tried before Squire Weir at Memphis, December 30, 1891 being that of Pennington v. Kelly. A few days later he fell on the ice at a well in his yard while watering his horse. From this resulted pneumonia, which his iron constitution enabled him to battle with nearly four weeks before he yielded.

submitted by: Robin K. Reed
Baird’s History of Clark County, 1909

James Drummond {was in 1880} a farmer on section 1; P.O., Rolling Prairie {LaPorte Co., IN}. He is a son of James and Nancy (Griffith) Drummond, both of whom are dead, and was born in Clarke County, Indiana, August 9, 1810, and is of Scotch-Welsh descent. Coming to this county {Laporte Co., IN} in February, 1835, he first settled in this township, where he has resided ever since. He was married March 8, 1934, to Amy J. Bowell, a native of Indiana, who is now 64 years of age and the mother of 4 children, of whom all are living: Ann E., the wife of T. J. Foster, now County Treasurer; Margaret J., the wife of J. Oglesby, a farmer in this township; Jesse, also a farmer in Wills township, and Marietta, wife of George W. Roe, a resident of Chicago. Mr. Drummond owns 330 acres of good land, worth about $75 per acre. He has been County Commissioner in this county. He and wife are members of the Christian Church; politically, he is a Democrat. His educational advantages were limited; was compelled to attend school in log houses. He has worked hard during his whole life, and has earned all he has by manual labor, having had only $400 in money and a little personal property when he commenced life for himself.

submitted by: Marsha Smith
History of LaPorte County, Indiana, 1880

James Crawford came to Clark county, with his father, from the State of Virginia, in the spring of 1830. Mr. Crawford, by industry and economy, is now the owner of a good farm. He is a cousin of the Rev. Josiah Crawford.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Samuel Denny was born September 30, 1817 in Washington county, Indiana. His father came from Virginia in an early day, and was among the pioneers of this part of Indiana. Mr. Samuel Denney is a cabinet-maker and carpenter by trade. He was married May 5, 1875 to Mrs. Shaw, widow of the late Isaac Shaw. There is one child, Elizabeth F. Shaw. Mr. and Mrs. Denney are members of the Baptist church.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

It has been almost a century since the first member of the DOW family placed foot upon the prolific soil of Wood township,Clark County. Daniel M. DOW now lives within a half mile from the spot where his eyes first opened upon this world. He is justly proud of his ancestors,who had no little part in the making of the history of this republic, and than whom none were more closely identified with that of Southern Indiana. The blood of one who helped wrest his native land from the grasp of an oppresser surges through the veins of our subject.

Mr. DOW was born in Wood Township in 1854, his parents being Henry D. And Elizabeth (BEGGERLY) DOW. The former was born within the precincts of the same township in 1824 being the son of Henry & Mercy (KINNEY) DOW, who came to Wood Township in 1818. The former was born in Connecticut, May 13,1794, his wife in the same state June 24,1791. The grandfather of the subject died November 3,1873 and the grandmother July 22,1874. The death of the father occurred October 27,1898,while his mother passed away May 25,1902,having been born in Kentucky,September 26,1823.

The children born to Henry & Mercy (Kinney) DOW were as follows: Hannah, born in Plainfield,Connecticut; Martha, born February 5,1817,also in that city;Lucy, born July 30,1818, on the way to Clark County,Indiana; Sallie, born September 20,1820, in Clark County,Indiana; Henry D., born April 19,1824, Clark County; Rhoda,born September 13,1826,Clark County;Lydia, born July 14,1829,Clark County;Rebecca, born May 24,1832, Clark County.

The following children were those of H.D. and Elizabeth (Beggerly) DOW: Sallie Ann, born August 11,1845,died May 30,1849; Lydia A., born January 10,1848,died in infancy;Laura A., born January 22,1850, to John B. GOSS,living in state of Washington, has five children; Henry E., born June 2,1852,died March 29,1853;Daniel M.(Subject),born March 1,1854; George W., born July 17,1856 married Anna HURST, and lives in Daviess County, has five children; Alice J., born September 18, 1858, married James PEARCE, and lives in Clark County; Mary A., born May 5,1862, married to Williard TODD, and lives in Wood Township, has two children; Elizabeth C., born February 11,1864, married N.S. MARTIN of Washington County and has five children.

H.D. DOW,father of these children, was a farmer and breeder of stock. He took an active part in politics and was a hard worker on election day, but never held or sought public office. He was an adherent of the Replubican party, and he belonged to the Christian church, of which he was an elder for many years.

Daniel M. DOW was married to Philena B. WALKER, of Washington County November 9,1876, the parents of the bride being James H. And Phoebe Ann WALKER. The following children were born to them: Stella B. , born June 25,1878. At home; Linna M., born April 30,1881 and married James E. COOLEY, had five children and died in 1908; Mrs. Alice G. (DOW) MILLER, living in Wood Township; Mary B. Born August 21,1892 living at home.

Mr. DOW was educated in the common schools of Wood Township. He is a Replublican and a member of the Christian Church. He spends very little time in politics, devoting his entire attention to farming and stock raising. He lives in the house his grandfather built in 1838 and which was rebuilt by his fatehr in 1878. The grandfather manufactured the brick with which he built the structure, and at the time it was considered one of the finest dwellings in the county. Mr. DOW has cleared a great deal of land himself, and made many improvements on his farm, which is in Section 12.

Elizabeth Beggerly was the daughter of Jonathan B. And Casender BAILEY. The former was born in Kentucky August 2,1802. The same state was the birthplace of his wife, the date theirof being April 3,1804. Her parents emigrated to Clark County when she was but two years old. They were the parents of the following children: Elizabeth Ann, born September 26,1823; Susan and Nancy(twins), born July 10,1825; William P., born August 9,1827; Eliza, born October 25,1829; James O., born May 12,1832; Isaac J., born December 29,1833; Lewis and Melvina (twins), born August 20,1836; Clinton, born November 29,1839; Benona G., born April 6, 1842.

In the parlor door of the DOW home there is a notch where grandfather Dow was hanged by the neck until nearly dead by four highwaymen to make him divulge the hiding place of his money. As it was they secured from him the sum of sixteen hundred dollars and four horses. This was during the days of the Civil war, and the robbers, supposed to be part of Morgan's band, were cpatured later, and five hundred dollars of the stolen money and the horses returned to the owner. The DOWS had the first grist mill in that part of Indiana, and one of the first steam mills. In the early days all of the flour was bolted by hand. An uncle of the subject was the owner of one of the first saw mills in the state.

Submitted by: Lonnie Fink
Baird’s History of Clark County, 1909

Dr. Joseph C. Drummond was born near Charlestown in November 1835. His father, David came from Kentucky to Indiana in 1800, he being only three years of age. His grandfather James emigrated from Pennsylvania some time previous to 1800. His family consisted of twelve children, who are now numbered among the first settlers of Clark County, Indiana.

David Drummond, father of Dr. Drummond, is now living with his third wife in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Three of his sons are living.

The Doctor is the youngest living child. He was married in 1858 to Miss Sarah E. Carr, who died in 1873, leaving a family of six children. He was married again in 1875 to Miss Narcissa Gasaway, of Jefferson County, Indiana by whom he has one child. He is now a resident of Indianapolis, engaged in the practice of dentistry.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882

Eberts & Brother, proprietors of the Henryville tannery, consisting of J. and C. Eberts, are sons of Mr. C. Eberts, who came to America from Germany in the year 1853 and located at St. Louis, Missouri.

These brothers joined their interests in business from the first of the dealing with the public on their own responsibility, it being in Bullitt county, Kentucky, in the town of Shepherdsville, where they rented a tannery and controlled it very successfully for two years, when they changed their location to their present place of doing business. They purchased the tannery property of Mr. August Schlamm, and have since been doing a very satisfactory business, dressing as high as four thousand hides a year.

In the year 1877 Mr. J. Eberts and Miss Eliza Baumberger were united in marriage. They have one child - John.

Mr. C. Eberts and Miss Margaret Gernhart were married in October, 1875. They have three children - Olga C., Edward C., and Minnie A.

submitted by: James D. VanDerMark
History of The Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties, Volume II, L.A. Williams & Co., 1882


THE subjects of this sketch were both born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania - Absalom in the year 1788, and John T. in 1790. Their parents were poor, and both members of the Presbyterian Church.

In 1799 their father, Absalom Littell, who was a soldier in the Revolution, emigrated to what was then the far West, and settled on the west side of Silver creek, in Clark's grant, Northwestern Territory; or, in what is now Clark county, Indiana.

At that date there were but few "pale faces" in the Territory, and no settlements between them and the Rocky mountains, except a few French stations, or forts, containing a small number of Americans. The great West, that is now shaking the earth with its giant tread, was then in its infancy, eager for new ideas, and more susceptible than now of religious impressions. The influence of the Christian preacher in that day was, therefore, like that of the parent over the child.

Before the advent of the school-teacher to that part of the world, both Absalom and John T. had almost attained to their majority; hence they received but little instruction save that which was imparted in the domestic circle. Yet, by their own exertions, they became tolerably well informed; and of the Holy Scriptures especially they acquired a thorough and ready knowledge. Absalom, being more fond of literary and scientific pursuits, became the better teacher. He was well versed in parliamentary rules, and none was more frequently called to preside //43// over religious meetings. Though his own life was regulated by the "perfect law of liberty," yet he had a respectable knowledge of the civil law; and his judgment in legal matters was as decisive as it was gratuitous. He peaceably settled many controversies between his neighbors, adjusting their differences with far more candor and fairness than a fee-hunting attorney would have done.

As there were no schools, so there were no churches. North of the Ohio river, and west of the Miami, not a single Protestant spire was to be seen. With a few exceptions there were no songs save the savage chant that led on the war-dance; no prayers, save those offered to the Great Spirit under the shadows of the tall oaks.

"Then was the time
For those whom wisdom and whom nature charm,
To soar above this little scene of things;
To tread low-thoughted vice beneath their feet;
To soothe the throbbing passions into peace;
And woo lone quiet in her silent walks."

It was not until the year 1798 - a twelvemonth previous to the immigration of the Littells - that the first Protestant congregation was organized in Indiana Territory. This was a Regular Baptist church composed of four members, and established on the Philadelphia Confession of Faith.

The organization was effected a few miles northeast of the Littell settlement, but the first house of worship was subsequently erected on the east bank of Silver creek, near Mr. Littell's farm, where it became widely known as the Regular Baptist church at Silver creek. There it still stands, the oldest Protestant, and, perhaps, the first Reformed, church in the State.

Immigrants arriving constantly, brought with them their respective religious views, and it was not long until the //44// people were favored with preaching by the representatives of the several leading sects.

Absalom Littell, sen., being an elder in the Presbyterian church, usually went with his family to that place of worship. Yet he was comparatively liberal in his views, and, in the absence of the Presbyterian minister, he attended, without partiality, the meetings of the various orders by which he was surrounded. By this means his sons acquired some knowledge of all the doctrines taught thereabout. Absalom was disposed to walk, if at all, in the steps of his father's faith, while John T. soon became much inclined toward the Baptists.

During the Indian troubles of 1811 and '12, Absalom and his eldest brother, Amos, served in the army of General Harrison; while John T. and others rendered no less important service as home-guards. Block-houses were built, sentinels posted, and every precaution taken to protect the women and children in the absence of their husbands and fathers. Amos was in the memorable battle of Tippecanoe, and Absalom was among the forces that marched to the relief of Fort Harrison, then in command of Lieutenant - afterwards President - Taylor.

The return of peace found them all alive; and, the weapons of war being cast aside, they turned their thoughts gratefully toward Him who had safely led them through so many dangers.

On the 27th day of November, 1813, Amos united with the Baptist church and was immersed in Silver creek. On the 23d of July 1814, his example was followed by John T. Absalom, being at that time more disposed to see the world than to enter into the kingdom, travelled pretty extensively in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. He was present, however, at the baptism of John T.; but being greatly prejudiced against immersion, he stood afar off.

//45// In the summer of 1816, John T. began to preach; and such was his natural ability that he very soon became a popular and most effective speaker.

Soon after his engaging in the work of the ministry, he removed to the muddy fork of Silver creek where he, with a few others from the old congregation, organized what is still known as the Muddy Fork church.

In April, 1815, Absalom, having become tired of rambling about, married, and settled down upon a small farm which he had acquired the means to purchase.

Though he had been a young man of unexceptionable morals; and although he had been a member of the church from his earliest infancy; yet, strange to say, he had never made a profession of religion! It was this very question of Infant Church-Membership, that caused him to linger so long without the door of the kingdom. In vain he read the Bible to find a firm support for the doctrine on which alone was suspended his hope of a glorious immortality. In vain he searched through subtle disquisitions on theology, in hope of finding a demonstration of the validity of Infant Baptism. No writer, either sacred or profane, satisfied him of the truth of that which he desired most of all to believe, namely, that baptism came in the room of circumcision. Loth as he was to abandon this popular tradition, he was compelled to do so after a careful re-examination of all the premises.

This stumbling-block being removed, he immediately went forward in the plain path of obedience, and, on the 27th of October, 1816, united with the Old Silver Creek Church, being immersed at the same spot at which, a few months before, he had witnessed, with so great mortification, the baptism of his younger brother.

At the first approach of the ensuing winter, the icy hand of death was laid upon his first-born. This sad dispensation, as it may have been designed, drove him nearer //46// the cross. Observing that every thing beautiful goes down to the grave - that all things seen are temporal - he began to direct his mind to those things which are eternal. Anxious to devote his energies to the accomplishment of permanent results, he thought seriously of preaching; but, for a while, he was discouraged by the feeble efforts of illiterate preachers whose only excuse for their ignorance was the pretension that they were "called and sent."

On the 21st of the following April his wife also departed this life, leaving to his care a helpless babe.

This second affliction disarranged all his earthly plans. In a short time he removed from his farm to New Albany, where he engaged in mercantile business which proved to be very profitable. He also began to preach in the city and vicinity; and his first efforts were more acceptable than he had hoped.

In September, 1818, while passing through Washington county, he called by a house at the road-side to make some inquiries as to his route. A young lady, whom he had never seen before, having intelligently answered all his questions, took his leave. On the 18th of next November that same young lady, the daughter of John Martin, sen., was Mrs. Littell. He was not a man who halted long between two opinions respecting any matter.

Returning to New Albany, he continued to devote a portion of his time to the work of the ministry; and, in January, 1820, he assisted in the organization of the first Baptist (now Christian) church in that city. It seems that on this occasion he departed from some of the landmarks, regarded as sacred by his Baptist brethren. For, being appointed to write and convey a letter to the Blue River Association, asking for fellowship with the same, and appearing before that body, as directed, he was sharply questioned by those official guardians of the interests of Zion. After a solemn conference, the assembly //47// asked him if he would, in the name of the church he represented, renounce its faith, as embodied in the letter which he had brought, and accept that of the Association as set forth in its Articles of Faith? This he refused to do, and the infant church at New Albany was, therefore, left to take care of itself. Such was the happy result produced by supreme devotion to creeds.

However, the little flock in New Albany steadily grew in number and in grace, visited as it was by several of the more liberal Baptist preachers; but most of all by John T. Littell, whose efforts on its behalf were unremitting.

On the 13th of June, 1820, a severe thunder-storm passed over the city. The house of Elder A. Littell was struck by lightning, by which his wife was felled to the floor, and his only surviving child, the last of his first family, was instantly killed.

This stroke of Divine Providence quite overcame him. The face of the Lord seemed to be against him. Perhaps - he thought - it was because he was not more completely devoted to his service. Therefore he closed out his stock in trade, and returned to his farm in Clark county; and from that time his labors were far more abundant, in the Lord.

The little congregation in New Albany was cordially received into the Silver Creek Association (formed in 1812) on the fourth Saturday of August, 1821. Then for a little season they all dwelled together in unity, and their Christian fellowship was "like the precious ointment upon the head."

From that date, Absalom and John T. Littell were the leading spirits in that portion of Indiana. Like Saul, the son of Kish, "from their shoulders and upward they were higher than any of the people."

For many years they annually, and by turns, wrote the "circular letter;" preached the "introductory sermon;" //48// presided over the Association; and served that body in the capacity of scribe.

In the year 1826, the Baptists having been greatly multiplied, Elder A. Littell proposed the formation of a new Association. As chairman of a committee he reported a line of division; which was agreed to; and the new Association was accordingly formed.

A little subsequent to this, southeastern Indiana was liberally supplied with some pamphlets written by the Rev. Daniel Parker of Illinois, in support of what was called the "two-seed doctrine." For a while these documents created great excitement and drew away many disciples after them. Absalom Littell sought several opportunities of hearing Mr. Parker, who also travelled preaching - and having made himself well acquainted with the gentleman's position, and having examined well the different texts by which it was fortified, he determined to bring on an engagement, and if possible, drive the enemy from his entrenchments.

The parties soon met at Corydon, Indiana, at which place the Blue River Association had convened. It pleased the Assembly to select A. Littell, Daniel Parker, and a minister from Kentucky to fill the pulpit on Lord's-day. The Kentuckian having spoken first, Elder Littell followed, basing his remarks upon Peter's declaration that "in every nation he that feareth him and worketh righteousness is accepted of him." With this and many other texts on his side, he felt that he went forth, like David, "in the name of the Lord of hosts;" and feeling thus, he dealt a heavy blow upon the two-seed Goliath.

The meeting was held in a grove; and just as he had concluded his sermon a shower of rain dispersed the multitude, and he was thus delivered from the shafts of his adversary. By this attack, however, he lost favor with //49// many of his brethren, who had imbibed the two-seed doctrine.

About this time the light of the Reformation began to dawn upon that portion of the State. The terms "Campbellism" and "Campbellite" began to be heard frequently from the sacred desk, as well as in the family circle; and it was evident that a revolution in religious matters was near at hand. It was soon apparent, also, that hostilities were to commence in the old Silver Creek church - that there the first stone was to be cast at the old systems that were doomed to destruction.

Many of the brethren, as the eyes of their understanding were opened, manifested less and less respect for the Articles of Faith, until the creed party, unable longer to brook such contempt of the authority to which they bowed their willing necks, ventured to ask, in the public assembly, "What was the faith of this church when it was first organized?" By reference to the church record it was ascertained that it (the church) was established upon the Philadelphia Confession of Faith. Having given this plain hint as to the object to which all owed allegiance, the orthodox party permitted a brief season of rest. But seeing the joints of the old system opening wider and wider, they determined once more to tighten the screws.

To this end they proposed that submission to the Confession of Faith should be strictly regarded as a condition of fellowship. This proposition met with strong opposition, and disturbed the peace of the church for a long time.

Finally, a resolution was offered, demanding "to know from this church whether she is governed by the Old and New Testaments or by the Articles of Faith?" (Church Record.) This question, after a warm debate, was answered as follows: "The church say, by the word of God." (Church Record.)

//50// This decision produced great excitement. Many of the more zealous opposers of reform left the church, but their places were soon filled; for the community, generally, approved of the action by which the seceders were so greatly offended.

Thus the Silver Creek church exchanged its human for the Divine creed. But Elders Littell and their coadjutors had not yet clean escaped from the thraldom of error. Though they had adopted the Bible as their rule of faith and practice, they were still subject to the rule of the Association; and they still adhered to many practices for which they could not have produced a "thus saith the Lord."

One would suppose that they would not have been long in being freed, if they did not free themselves, from the authority of the Association; for, under ordinary circumstances, that body would not have tolerated such an act, on the part of a congregation, as the open renouncement of the Confession of Faith. As it was, however, the Littells held the reins; and, by the exercise of discretion and a spirit of forbearance and conciliation, they easily thwarted the efforts of all such as desired their excommunication. The subject was brought before the Association at its next session in New Albany; but the excitement passed away for that time without any serious consequences.

The exercises of that session were also enlivened by a revival of the two-seed theory. An aged brother from the Blue River Association being appointed to preach, began his discourse, very properly, with an apology for his ignorance, adding, for the encouragement of his hearers, that as the Lord would give to him so would he give to them. He (or he and the Lord, as he would have people believe) then proceeded to elucidate the two-seed doctrine! His speech had a powerful effect on the large //51// audience - so powerful, indeed, that it moved many into the streets and to their homes.

After it was all over, an old brother, whose speech betrayed the dialect as well as the penetration of the Yankee, observed, that "all preachers of that kind would soon die off, and that the Lord would make no more on 'em."

The prediction was in a measure verified; for from that time the favorite dogma of Elder Parker gradually waned, until it was no longer a matter of controversy.

For a few years subsequent to this, matters went on peaceably, being conducted in the spirit of compromise. The Baptists tolerated the abnormal views of those who were almost Reformers; and the Reformers, in turn, yielded to some of the peculiar views and practices of the Baptists. But each party became more and more positive in the advocacy of their respective tenets, until a final separation could no longer be averted. This took place first in the congregation at New Albany, in the year 1835; and soon afterwards in all the churches throughout that portion of the State.

The Reformers, in all cases, opposed division; and did all in their power to persuade their disquieted brethren to accept the word of God as their only rule of faith and practice. This the Baptists would not do; but, as soon as they found themselves in the minority, they chose rather to withdraw themselves, and have no further fellowship with what they regarded as "the unfruitful works of darkness."

With respect to those who continued in the "perfect law of liberty," the Association of 1835 was the last. From that time they held an Annual Meeting, not to form or amend constitutions; enact laws for the government of the church; or, in any way, to "lord it over God's heritage;" but to hear encouraging reports from the various churches; to worship the Lord in the "beauty //52// of holiness;" and to consider how they might most promote the interests of the Redeemer's kingdom.

Such was the introduction of primitive Christianity within the bounds of the old Silver Creek Association; and such was, briefly, the part taken by the Elders Littell in that important movement.

All the elements of discord having been eliminated, the disciples dwelt together in unity under the mild sceptre of the Prince of Peace; and, on every hand, they were greatly multiplied.

John T. Littell, with unflagging zeal, continued to evangelize for many years, baptizing a great number of disciples, of whom he kept no record. Among the number were eleven of his own children; and, since his decease, the remaining one has entered into the kingdom. Two of his sons - Milburn and John T., jr. - are successful preachers; and a third son - Maxwell - is an occasional laborer "in word and doctrine."

Returning indisposed from one of his tours, on the 11th of February, 1848, he observed to his family that he had filled his last outstanding appointment - a thing which he had not done before in thirty years. It was a singular fact, in view of the sad event which so suddenly followed. Always punctual in filling his appointments, it seems that even death itself was not permitted to infringe upon so good a habit.

Having taken some refreshments, he lay down before the fire to rest. In a few minutes he made a sudden effort to rise; rested a moment on his elbow; exclaimed "I am dying;" and almost instantly expired. Thus he illustrated the great truth which he had so often endeavored to enforce, namely, that "in the midst of life we are in death."

The following short extract is from his obituary notice, which appeared in the Christian Record for March, 1848:

//53// "This good brother and affectionate elder has labored hard for his Lord and his numerous family for about forty years. I have thought that I never knew a man who loved the Bible more ardently than he. He has endured many hardships for the truth's sake. He plead the cause of the Bible alone in all matters of religion, and of the union of all Christians on the Bible, for some twenty years. But he has gone to 'rest from his labors; and his works do follow him.' "

Elder John Thompson Littell was a great man, physically, intellectually, morally. Had his mental been developed like his physical and moral powers, he would have been almost "perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." His stature exceeded six feet; and his weight was more than two hundred pounds. He had dark hair; a large, well-shaped head; keen, blue, speaking eyes; a prominent nose; a mouth that seemed made for noble speech; and a broad, open face, expressive of every quick sensation.

He was a natural orator - clear in argument; powerful in exhortation; in manner positive, if not dogmatical. Education was all he lacked to make his name as familiar to the nation as it was to the little circle in which he lived, moved, and died. He was of a gentle and affectionate spirit, full of vivacity and most excellent humor. Seventy times seven, if his brother sinned against him, seventy times seven could he forgive him, on the legitimate condition of repentance. This trait of his character, as well as the severe and peculiar manner in which he sometimes put to shame the enemies of truth, was clearly exhibited in an incident which certainly occurred at or near Salem.

He was preaching to a large congregation in the presence of a certain minister whose names and order shall be mercifully concealed. In discussing some point relative to //54// Baptism, he made a quotation from Wesley's Doctrinal Tracts, remarking - as if fearful he had not given it verbatim - that if he had not quoted fairly he hoped it might be corrected. The unsuspecting preacher instantly cried out, "I unhesitatingly affirm that the passage does not read that way." "Well, well," said Elder Littell, with the greatest sang froid, "we will read it as it is." Suiting the action to the word, he drew from his pocket a copy of the "Tracts;" and read the passage which, as he knew very well, was precisely as he had quoted it. Nothing daunted, the preacher took the book; and gave the audience a different reading. At the request of Elder Littell a small boy then came forward; and again read the passage as it was. This settled the controversy; and the discourse was resumed as if nothing had happened.

When the speaker concluded, the convicted preacher asked leave to make a few remarks. Being politely assured that he should have perfect liberty, he arose and spoke substantially as follows: - "I confess," said he, "that, under the excitement of the moment and the bad feeling that then possessed me, I read the passage wrong; and I pray to God to forgive me." "AMEN," said Elder Littell; and those who knew him did not doubt that the response came from the bottom of his heart.

Though on all occasions he occupied a conspicuous place among his brethren; yet he never thrust himself into the highest seat; but was always meek and unassuming.

Living in a controversial age, he was, necessarily, somewhat doctrinal; but, in the main, his discourses were eminently practical. When the occasion demanded it, he could wield the sword of the Spirit with a strong and skillful hand; but he was more inclined to provoke his brethren to love and to good works; and most successful in persuading sinners to lay hold on the hope which he //56// eloquently set before them. Christianity in practice, was the great object for which he strove.

Like all other men he doubtless had his faults; but in most things he might well have said to his brethren, "be ye followers of me;" for he followed Christ. But

"No further seek his merits to disclose,
Or draw his frailties from their dread abode -
There they alike in trembling hope repose -
The bosom of his father and his God."

After the death of John T., his brother Absalom continued to labor in the gospel as in former years. Finally, however, the infirmities of advancing age compelled him to economize his strength; and during the last years of his life he accomplished comparatively but little in the work of the ministry. Yet the spirit was willing; though the flesh was weak. The sickle was still keen as ever; but the power that wielded it was failing.

The nearer he approached the grave the more ardently he desired the steadfastness of the disciples; and among the last words he ever wrote, were the following addressed to his "dear brethren."

"Permit an old brother in the 74th year of his age, to say to his younger brethren, and to all: Suffer no strife to rise up among you. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

On the 11th of May, 1862, at 9 o'clock, P. M., he breathed his last. Conscious of his approaching dissolution, he assured those present that death had no terrors; and that he "died only to live." His remains were followed by a long procession to their resting place, in the quiet old church-yard near Hamburg, where they await, //56// in peace, the "voice of the archangel and the trump of God."

In appearance and character, Elder Absalom Littell was much like his brother, John T. Born of the same parents; rocked in the same cradle; hushed by the same lullabies; sent to the same schools; baptized in the same stream; and preachers of the same gospel, which changes men into the same image; they could not well be so dissimilar as to afford materials for two separate and distinct sketches.

Absalom was, however, somewhat larger than his brother; and he was regarded by many as correspondingly superior in point of intellect. But the difference of ability was rather the result of education than of any partiality on the part of nature.

As an orator he was inferior, though he spoke readily, forcibly, and to the point. Their sermons were similar in character; and were usually directed to the same end.

Absalom always conducted himself with gravity becoming his office; yet he too was most richly endowed with the faculty of wit, and with that cheerful disposition which "doeth good like a medicine." In a little circle of old friends, he was as agreeable as he was happy.

In the church and before the world, they manifested the same spirit; for both had "the spirit of Christ."

Such were those two distinguished pioneers; and such the part they acted in establishing the "ancient order of things" in the commonwealth of Indiana. It is necessary to add only two borrowed lines, expressive, no doubt, of the feeling with which every Christian reader will reach the end of this brief and imperfect sketch:

"Those suns are set,
O rise some other such."

FROM: Madison Evans, BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE PIONEER PREACHERS OF INDIANA (Philadelphia: J. Challen, 1862), 42-56

Deb Murray