Henry Reynolds Stewart

Henry Reynolds Stewart, was the ninth child of James and Drusilla Reynolds Stewart of Salem Township, Delaware County, Indiana. Born on November 20, 1845 on the family farm about three miles east of Daleville, he was the youngest child in this family. On this farm, Henry was raised and he attended the local schools where he was educated as best as was available at the time.In July of 1863, Henry and his father were cutting wheat at the farm of his Uncle, Jonas Shoemaker.

Henry was binding and his father was driving the reap Having enlisted in Middletown, Henry County, Indiana, he reported there and was then sent to Indianapolis. Leaving there under Captain Fred Tykle, they got only as far as Cincinnati when they were ordered back and mustered out. Having been gone only about one week, and being fueled by the killing of his nex Letters from Henry at the time told that he was at Columbus, Kentucky on December 8, 1863. At Memphis, Tennessee on February 27 and March 14, 1864. On November 22, 1864 and February 10 and 22, April 7, and June 17, 1865 at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois.

Henry Reynolds Stewart was wounded during a skirmish in Oakolona, Mississippi on February 22, 1864. In the letter home to his sister Jane, dated February 27, 1864 from Memphis, Tennessee, Henry described the event. I left Hickman, Kentucky and have been marching and fighting nearly all the time since I left there. We started on the march about two weeks ago, it was said at the time for Mobile, Alabama. we marched for about a week when we began to hear fighting occ The spoken of by Henry in this letter was Alfred Culbertson who had made his home at the home of James Stewart (Henrys father) and enlisted with Henry. The giving up of his horse to Henry that day was an act of self-sacrifice for which he was always given praise whenever spoken of by any member of Henrys family. And it is shown that as of 1896, Mr. Culbertson was alive and well and living in Anderson, Indiana.

Henry Reynolds Stewart was transferred to Company E, 15th Veteran Reserve Corps at Chicago, Illinois after recovering from his injury. Here he performed guard duty on the rebel prisoners there. In the letter dated November 22, 1864 from Camp Douglas Henry stated the following, I have been transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps on account of my shoulder.Henry’s father, James Stewart visited him while at Chicago. Henry served there until the close of the war and returned home. On September 18, 1867 Henry was married to Jemima Ann Moffet, the daughter of Isaac Lambert George Irvin and Maria McCray Moffet of Salem Township, Delaware County, Indiana. Together they would have eight children and they were: Maria Maude Drusilla, Myrta Mable Marcella Madge, Mildred Elizabeth Miriam Lellegard Lar, Marion Verner Ney, Corydon Earl Chatham, Daisy Starr, Carl Bruce and Claude Rome. Henry and his family moved to Missouri, leaving on September 4, 1871 and moved back to Indiana in November of 1873. Henry lived in Indiana until leaving for Colorado on March 19, 1881.

Henry found employment in a smelter in Leadville, Colorado as well as a hand on ranches in the area. On June 23, 1897 he went to Creston, Colorado and began working hours. The leg was set and he was taken to the Soldiers Home at Monte Vista, Colorado by Mr. George Adams. The doctor there called in Dr. Gale who, after consultation, amputated the leg about four inches below the knee on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1897. Henry got along well and enjoyed smoking his pipe and reading papers while healing, but the leg would not heal. Lockjaw set in on December 7th and he became insensible. He continued in this state until 10:00 oclock a.m. on Thursday, December 9, 1897 when Henry Reynolds Stewart passed away aged 52 years and 19 days. Henrys wife, Jemima Ann Moffet Stewart, died the following spring on April 12, 1898 in Salem Township, Delaware County, Indiana and is buried in Sunderland Cemetery.

Compiled and edited by John Ray Lambert on July 1, 1997

H.H. HIGHLANDS. In these times of modern invention and improvement, so much of the comfort of living is due to the plumber and gas fitter that the business has become one of the greatest interest and importance to all. The efficient and capable business man whose name introduces this sketch is a practical plumber and gas fitter, and is also much more -being one of the city's leading legislators and one of the most energetic and progressive among its well known business men. H.H. Highlands was born in Carroll county, Ohio, November 8, 1858, and is a son of Daniel and Mary (Gregory) Highlands, both parents natives of the same county and state. During the late war Daniel Highlands served his country as private in the One Hundred and Forty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and died in the year 1864. H.H. Highlands received a practical education in the public schools, and when eighteen years of age engaged with the Alliance (Ohio) Gas Light company, of which in a few years he was made manager. In 1883 he accepted a position with the American Water Works and Guarantee company of Pittsburg, Pa., and built the gas works and the electric plant, also of that city, and the water works at Connellsville, Pa., and superintended the construction of the gas plants at Muncie and Marion, Ind.; he then returned to Muncie and for some years had sole charge of the construction of the water and gas company's plants. In 1887, in partnership with P.T. Kirby, Mr. Highlands purchased the business of the Muncie Plumbing company, which, under the firm name of Highlands & Kirby, continued until January 1, 1891, when Mr. Kirby retired and Mr. Highlands became sole possessor. At that date he severed his connection with the American Water Works and Guarantee company, since which time he has done an extensive wholesale business, and is now the leading dealer in chandeliers, gas fixtures, etc., in Muncie. He is prominent in many ways in the city, being an important member of the Masonic fraternity and a charter member and one of the leading movers and organizers of that important business association, the Citizens' Enterprise company, which has resulted so greatly to the benefit of Muncie city and Delaware county. He was one of the first to drill many of the gas wells in the vicinity of Muncie, and to his energy, perseverance and wise foresight is the city largely indebted for its present position as the leading city in the great Indiana gas belt. Politically Mr. Highlands has bee a potent factor in the republican party of Delaware county, and his efforts in behalf of the city have been rewarded by his election to the common council, of which body he is a leading spirit. He is a true guardian of the interests of the city, a man of clear cut ideas, keen and thoughtful, and his career as a municipal legislator proves him to be a true servant of the people. He also served as chairman of the judiciary committee in 1891. Mr. Highlands was married in 1888 to Miss Margaret H. Smith, daughter of M.C. Smith, Esq., of Muncie, and has one child -Hubert Highlands. Mrs. Highlands is a member of the Episcopal church and a lady of culture, intelligence and fine social qualities. The family is much esteemed in Muncie, and move in the best social circles in the city.


J. A. QUICK, a prominent farmer and stock grower of Harrison township, Delaware county, was born February 8, 1839, in Henry county, Indiana He is the son of John and Nancy (Clary) Quick; the father was born in Ohio, in April 1781, and the mother was a native of Hamilton County, Ohio. John Quick settled in Henry county, Indiana, in 1827, and entered 160 acres of land, where he lived the life of a pioneer and remained there until 1858, when he removed to Madison county, and lived until his death, which occurred in 1881. The mother, Mrs. Nancy Quick, died in 1843, and Mr. Quick married for his second wife Miss Levina Heath, the daughter of Robert Heath and a native of North Carolina. They were prominent members of the Christian church. The father was an earnest-republican, and always voted the ticket of that party.

J. A. Quick dutifully remained at, home with his parents until he was eighteen years old, receiving a common school education, and then became clerk in a store, following this until he was twenty-one years old. He then engaged in farming, renting his father's farm in Madison county, for one year, and then bought ninety acres in the same county, on which he located and resided until 1886, at which time he exchanged this farm for 240 acres in Harrison township, where he now lives, paying a difference of $2, 500. At the present time, he owns 280 acres, and except the time he was employed in the store, has been a farmer all his life. He was elected township trustee in 1870, and held the office four years; was again elected in 1876, and continued in it until 1880. Mr. Quick is a republican, and one of the most prominent men in the township.

He was married January 2,1860, to Miss Mary E. Love, daughter of James and Jane (Johnson) Love, who were natives of Ireland. Her father was born in 1812, and her mother in 1814, and they emigrated to this country in 1849, landing in Pittsburgh, Pa.; remained there a short time, and then went to Franklin county, Indiana, where Mr. Love engaged in farming and renting land, and then settled in Madison county. Mrs. Love died, after which Mr. Love lived with his daughter and Mr. Quick, for two years and then he removed to Minnesota, where he resided the remainder of his life. He and wife were consistent members of the Methodist church Mrs., Quick was born January 2, 1837, and is the mother of four children, namely: Lizzie Josephine, deceased; John C., a physician at Muncie; Nettie J., a teacher, living at home; James M., a teacher of this county. Mr. Quick and wife are up right and worthy members of the Christian church. He is a republican and a man of much influence in his township, and this Influence is always exerted for good. He is one of the progressive men of the county, ever ready to assist in all public improvements.

Portrait & Biographical Record Delaware County, Indiana

JAMES E. EBER, a successful agriculturist of Centre township, Delaware county, of which he is a native, is the son of Henry and Susan Eber. Henry Eber was a native of Germany, came to Delaware county when twenty-eight years old, locating in Muncie, where he married Susan Clark, who bore him the following children: John deceased; William H., deceased; Mary wife of A. (is Ashford) DRUMM, of California, and James E., whose name appears at the head of this sketch; George, and Catharine, deceased. On locating in Muncie, Henry Eber engaged in the business of brewing, which he followed for two years, and then purchased a tract of land in Centre township, and began tilling the soil. Financially he was quite successful, owning at one time 462 acres of valuable land in Delaware county, besides other property, which entitled him to a prominent place in the ranks of those who were more than ordinarily wealthy. He accumulated a handsome estate, and left all of his children in very comfortable circumstances. His religious belief was embodied in the Presbyterian creed, and his first wife, a most excellent christian lady, was a member of the Catholic church. She died May 20, 1862, and Mr. Eber afterwards married Nancy Alban, who departed this life in 1879; Mr. Eber was called to his final reward on the 26th day of January, 1876. James E. Eber was reared in Delaware County and assisted his father on the farm until the latter's death. His education was received in the common schools, and on the 22nd day of June, 1872, he was united in marriage to Miss Bitha Scott, who was born in Adams county, Ohio, August 8, 1852, daughter of David and Sarah (Ham) Scott. Mr. and Mrs. Scott were both natives of Ohio; the former of German parentage, and the mother descended from Irish ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Eber have an interesting family of six children, namely: Ida,Lee,Katie,Stella, Pearl and Earl. One child Emma, died December 13, 1890. As already stated, Mr. Eber is a successful agricuturist, and no one would question his high standing as a representative citizen of Centre township. His beautiful farm of 190 acres is well improved, and in addition to tilling the soil, he pays considerable attention to live stock, breeding and dealing in the same quite extensively. He is a democrat in his political belief, fraternally belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men, and with his wife is a communicant of the Methodist church. Mr. Eber takes a father's pardonable pride in his family; his children are certainly ver promising, and bid fair to grow to manhood and womanhood, an honor to their parents and a blessing to the community.

(Donata's notes on this ther is a picture of Mrs. Bilrtha B. Eber on the next page and then the following page there is also a picture of James E. Eber, my scanner is down at the time of transcribing this so will scan pictures in later)

Sent in by Donata Boyle
Page: 254 Muncie City

James Marion Stewart

James Marion Stewart was the eighth of the nine children of James and Drusilla Reynolds Stewart. Born on the 22nd day of August, 1842 in Clark County Ohio, he was but 15 months old when the family moved west to Salem Township, Delaware County, Indiana.In wagons, they left Ohio near the end of November, 1843 on a very nice day. James Marion and his sister Mary Jane occupied one of the wagons with their mother. The first night was spent at a tavern near Springfield called The Sign of the Black Horse, only to awaken at a location about three miles east of Daleville in Salem Township, Delaware County, Indiana where they would make their new home.

James Marion grew up on the family homestead farm and lived there until he was nearly19 years of age. His family called him by his middle name, probably because his father was named James as well and by calling him Marion must have saved confusion. He was educated in the local schools as well as On July 21, 1861 James Marion enlisted in Company E of the 19th Regiment of the Indiana Volunteer Infantry under Captain Luther B. Wilson. Enlisting with him were his cousins Timothy and Alexander Stewart, sons of his Uncle John Stewart. This must have proved to be quite a blessing for them to be in the same Company as they later endured the hardships that awaited them. He signed up as James M. Stewart.

Letters still in possession of the family show him to have been at Kalorama Heights, near Washington City D.C. in August of 1861; Fort Craig, Fairfax County, Virginia in November and December of 1861, as well as March of 1862; at camp near Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia on April 3rd 1862; at cam After recovering from the fever and rejoining his Regiment, and after a years service, Company E was engaged in battle at Gainesville, Virginia near Brawners farm. As they headed toward the front, James Marion said to a comrade this is going to be a hard fight.. Soon after making that statement, that same comrade witnessed James Marion as he fell to the ground. Later as Company E was forced into retreat, Captain Luther B. Wilson found him lying face down. Stopping and rolling him over, Captain Wilson asked James Marion how badly he was hurt, there was no reply to this query, but instead, James Marion asked, How is the battle likely to go?. As far as anyone knows, these were the last words of James Marion Stewart, August Alexander Stewart later went back to that battlefield in search of James Marions body. Not only did he not find it, but was captured by the Confederates while searching for his cousin and friend.

In the papers afterward, there was an account of the battle and a list of the men killed and wounded. This gave the following listing; James M. Stewart, wounded in the breast severely.Also, in the paper was an account of an unknown man dying in the ambulance on the way from the battlefield to the hospital and being buried along the roadside.

James Marion Stewarts body was never seen on the field by anyone who knew him. His father traveled to Virginia and checked at all the hospitals where the wounded had been taken that day, but found no record of him. And as no further records were ever to show the existence of him, it is assumed that he was the man spoken of as dying in the ambulance and being buried somewhere along the roadside near Gainesville, Virginia, August 28, 1862.

1.)  Genealogy of the Descendants of William, Jr. and Elizabeth Tuggle Reynolds of Montgomery County, Virginia by Linden Byron Moffet - June 10, 1929 
2.)  Family records, documents, and verbal history. 
3.)  The original letters written and sent home by James M.. Stewart. 

Compiled and edited by John Ray Lambert on July 1, 1997

James Richard Slack was born September 28, 1818, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He was educated in Newton, Pennsylvania and moved to Delaware County, Indiana with his parents at the age of nineteen. He worked on his father’s farm, was a schoolteacher, and studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1840 on his twenty-second birthday and then moved to Huntington, Indiana. His funds amounted to six dollars, and his possessions were limited to the clothes he was wearing. Slack served as county auditor from 1842 to 1851 and served two terms in the state senate. He was unsuccessful in a bid for Congress in 1854. He was commissioned colonel of the 47th Indiana Infantry December 13, 1861, and commanded a brigade under John Pope at New Madrid and Island No. 10. Slack served at various locations in district and post commands. He participated in the White River expedition and the battle at Yazoo Pass. He commanded a brigade of Hovey's division of McClernand's XIII corps during the Vicksburg campaign then spent the remainder of the war in the Department of the Gulf. He played a minor role in the Red River expedition; was in command at Thibodeaux, Louisiana, a portion of that time in command of a division of the XIII Corps. Slack was present in the campaign against Mobile, including the capture of Spanish Fort, Fort Blakely, and the city of Mobile itself. On November 10, 1864, he was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers and was brevetted a major general on March 13, 1865. Slack was mustered out of service January 15, 1866, and returned to his law practice in Huntington. He was appointed to the bench of the newly created Twenty-eighth Judicial Circuit by the governor and elected to the same position in 1872 and 1878. In 1880, he ran for Congress, but was defeated. James Slack died July 28, 1881, of a heart attack while visiting in Chicago. He was buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery in Huntington.

Sent in by Kelly Runyon Bragg

MINUS TURNER Among the early settlers of Muncie, there were few who took a more active part in the improvement of the town than Mr. Turner. He was long engaged in the manufacture of brick, and erected the first brick houses in the town, and his residence on West Main street was the first brick house in the county. In whatever he engaged, he was actuated by a laudable ambition to excel. He was one of the early merchants of Muncie, and was identified with its mercantile interests until the infirmities of age caused his retirement from active life.

His father, Bivens Turner, was a native of the State of Delaware. He was a plasterer and brick mason, which vocations he followed during life, varied by brief experiences in the pursuit of farming. In 1809 or 1810, he emigrated to the State of Kentucky and settled at Lexington, where he erected a residence for Henry Clay. A short time subsequently, he moved his family to a farm near that city, from which he was soon forced to retire by the unhealthy condition of the locality and the prevalence of the disease known as "milk sickness." He then settled at Covington, Ky., and pursued his trade, subsequently engaging again in the pursuit of farming. In 1823, he came to Indiana and bought a tract of land in the Twelve Mile Purchase, Randolph Co., which he cleared and improved. He was married four times - first, in the State of Delaware, to Priscilla Beswick, who died in 1822. He was a widower at the date of his removal to Indiana but about the year 1830 or 1831, he married Mrs. Deborah Bowen, while pursuing his trade at Muncie. He then returned to Randolph County after working for about a year at Muncie, where his second wife died a few years later. He then returned to Delaware County and occupied the Winton farm, during which time he married Mrs. Butcher, who died after his children had reached maturity. His fourth wife, Mrs. Jackson, lived only a few years, and, after her departure, he made his home with his son Minus until his own death, which occurred in 1863.

Minus, the subject of this sketch, was born May 22, 1807, near the city of Dover, Del., and never enjoyed the advantages offered by the schools of that State, as he was scarcely more than an infant when he accompanied his father & family to Kentucky. All his school experience, was limited to the crude system in vogue at that time in the latter State; and for whatever knowledge he acquired in later years, he was indebted to his own individual efforts. He learned the trade pursued by his father, and when the latter was engaged in farming, contributed his labors to his assistance. In 1823, he removed with his father's family to Randolph County, Ind., where he remained six years. At the close of that period, he decided to start out and earn his fortune in the world. With a good trade, an industrious nature and a determined will, he had little doubt of success. He came to Muncie in 1829, and engaged in brick-laying and plastering. In 1831, he was married, in Randolph County, Ind., to Eliza C.Bowen, who died at Muncie. In October, 1833, he married Miss Fanny Marshall, his present companion. She is the daughter of John and Nancy Marshall, early settlers of Muncie.

Mr. Turner was engaged at his trade until 1838, when he erected the brick block on the corner of Walnut and Main streets, which was destroyed by fire a few years ago, and succeeded by the Patterson Block. In this building, then one of the finest in the town- he enjoyed his first experience as a hotel-keeper, and won the regard of the traveling public, proving himself a genial host, and one ever solicitous for the welfare and comfort of his guests. He was thus engaged for nine or ten years, at the end of which time he sold out to Mr. Hoon, and erected a brick storeroom at the east end of the same lot, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. In less than a year thereafter he sold out, resuming work at his trade; and in 1861, he and his son, Leonidas L. engaged in the boot and shoe business, and conducted a very satisfactory trade until the senior member of the firm felt the necessity of retiring from the tedium of active business life. The store was sold to William Lynn, and Mr. Turner has since led a retired life. At the age of seventy-three years, he is still well preserved and remarkably active for one whose life has been marked by so much severe labor. While engaged at his trade, he often went to his work at early dawn and continued until midnight, and in all the pursuits of his life, he manifested the same unflagging industry, accomplishing, by this means, the liberal allowance he has to sustain him in his old age. His achievements are the outgrowth of a nature to which no obstacle seemed insurmountable. He settle in a infant community, and, by his untiring labors at his trade, advanced, step by step, on the road to wealth, prospering with the community, and lending a helping hand in its advancement and public improvements. Honest effort for self-advancement is always commendable, but doubly so when pursued under such disadvantages as beset the aspirant for the fortune in the early days of Muncie.

Mr. Turner always possessed a nature that drew friends to him, and has ever retained the confidence and esteem of those with whom he has been associated through life. His second marriage was blessed by nine children. Millie is the wife of N.F. Ethell, editor of the Muncie Daily News, while Leonidas L. and Charles M. are prosperous bankers at Sedan, in the State of Kansas. Jane, Lycurgus C., Matilda A., Eliza, Nancy E. and Martha A. are deceased.

Sources: History of Delaware County Indiana, page 32-33
Transcribed by Shirley Baston Fred

William Edgar Driscoll, B.S., M.D., is one of the prominent professional men of Muncie, a native son of Indiana, born in Centre Township, Delaware County, near where the Indiana Iron Works now stand, on the 6th day of October, 1858. His parents were John and Maria (Gibson) Driscoll. The doctor received a liberal education, graduating from Purdue University, Lafayette, Indiana, in June, 1882, following which he entered upon the study of medicine under the guidance of Dr. S. (Samuel) V. Jump, of New Burlington. He further took a full curse at the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, where he graduated March, 1886, after which he began the practice at Cowan, Delaware County, where he resided for two years. In June, 1888, Dr. Driscoll located permanently n Muncie, where he has since enjoyed a large share of the remunerative practice, and where his superior medical knowledge has won for him a conspicuous place among the successful medical men of central Indiana. In April, 1886, he was elected Coroner of Delaware County, and filled the office by successive re-elections for the six succeeding years. Dr. Driscoll is well known among his professional associates, being a member of the Delaware County Medical Society, of which he was formerly president; belongs to the Delaware District Medical Society, and the State Medical Society of Indiana. In 1892, his advice and good judgment were secured for the city by an election to the common council from the Third Ward, and hi is now serving in that body as a member of the police, street and educational committees, and is also chairman of the library board, in which organization he has taken a very active interest. Dr. Driscoll was appointed by Gov. Matthews to attend the first Pan-American medical congress, held at Washington, D.C., September 5 to 8, 1993, in which he represented his state in the lectures on hygiene, and quarantine and infectious diseases. Politically Dr. Driscoll is a Republican, and fraternally, belongs to Muncie lodge, No. 74, I.O.O.F., and to Delaware lodge, No. 46. A. F.&A.M. He was one of the incorporators of the Muncie Silver Ash Institute, and is physician in charge of the same at this time. He is a member of the Citizens' Enterprise Company, and of various other projects having for their objective the public good, and he is progressive and enterprising in all those terms imply. Professionally the doctor stands high in Muncie. His mental faculties, thoroughly disciplined by collegiate and professional training, enable him to keep pace with the advancement of medical science; his success is due as much to his original experiments and investigations, as to his extensive reading. On the 29th day of September, 1886, Dr. Driscoll and Maggie J. Chapman, daughter of Samuel Chapman, of Oxford, Indiana, were united in marriage, and one child has come to gladden their home, namely John C. Driscoll. Mrs. Driscoll is a lady of culture, refinement, and rare intelligence, having graduated in the same class with her husband at Purdue University. Dr. and Mrs. Driscoll are highly respected members of the High street Methodist Church of Muncie, and they move in the best social circles of the city. This attention of the reader is called to the fine portrait of the doctor on the opposite page.

Source: Portrait & Biographical Record Delaware County, Indiana

MATTHEW McCORMICK was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, September 1833, son of William and Catherine (Stiffler) McCormick, of Irish and German descent, respectively, both natives of Pennsylvania. William McCormick by occupation, a cabinet maker and worked at that trade in his native state until 1837, at which date he moved to Delaware County, Indiana, and entered 160 acres of land in Hamilton Township, and began farming, which he followed the residue of his days. He died in 1855, and his wife followed him to the grave on the 4th day of October 1881.

Matthew McCormick was the second in family of nine children, and since early boyhood, has been a resident of Delaware County in the growth and development of which he has always taken an active part. His early education was almost entirely neglected, but, possessing a strong practical mind, which rises above environments, he has since become well informed upon current events, and has been called to fill important official positions by his fellow citizens. Shortly after attaining his majority, in company with other spirits as daring as himself, Mr. McCormick joined the exodus of gold seekers and went to California for the purpose of improving his fortunes. He went to that far off state via the New York and Panama route, and was thirty days making the voyage from New York City to San Francisco. On reaching his destination, he found employment for some time in the mines, operated a claim of his own for several months and then returned to Indiana and resumed farming, having been-absent from 1854 to t 856. For a short time after his marriage, which was consummated June 21, 1856, with Miss Eliza A. Lefter, daughter of Philip and Mary (Stadbrook) Lefter, Mr. McCormick had charge of the home farm, but subsequently purchased a place in Hamilton township, where he resided until March, 1893, when he removed to Shideler. He entered the army, in 1864, as a member of the Forty-second Indiana infantry, and was with his command in the Atlanta campaign, was present when the confederate Gen. Johnson surrendered his forces, and was mustered out by the department of war at Louisville, Ky., in 1865, receiving his final discharge at Indianapolis, Indiana Politically Mr. McCormick is an ardent supporter of the republican party, and as such has been three times complimented by being elected to the office of county commissioner, the duties of which he discharged with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. Fraternally he is member of the G. A. R. post of Eaton, Indiana, and in religion belongs to the Christian church, with which religious body his wife is also identified. Mr. and Mrs. McCormick are the parents of the following children: Amelia and Cordelia, twins, born May 22. 1857 - the former the wife of C. T. Bartlett and the latter of Charles Mansfield; Mary C., born November 13, 1860, now deceased; Adam, born September 8, 1866; Savannah, born March 24, 1868, wife of Ralph H. Clark; Evaline, April 15, 1870; William, born July 11, 1874, and died February 9, 1875. Mr. McCormick now owns 160 acres of land and is one of the leading men of this coy county He is now president of the board of county commissioners. Evaline, the youngest daughter, has been a teacher, for three years, in Muncie schools.

Portrait & Biographical Record Delaware County, Indiana

Deb Murray