ADDISON HARDIN, in his lifetime a successful farmer residing on Section 33, White River township, Johnson Co., Ind., was born Oct. 31, 1834, at his late home, son of Judge Franklin and Ann (Goslin) Hardin, natives of Kentucky.

William Henry Hardin, father of Judge Franklin Hardin and grandfather of Addison Hardin, was known as "Harry" Hardin, and was born in 1768 in Pennsylvania, but later came to Kentucky with some of the first of the pioneers of that State, down the Ohio river in a flat boat. His death occurred in the State of his adoption, when he was about sixty years of age. Twelve children, who grew to maturity, were born to him, the majority of whom found their way to Indiana as pioneers, while others settled in Illinois in the pioneer days of that State. All of them were worthy citizens, and showed forth in their lives the virtues inherited from the French Huguenots who founded the family.

Nathan Goslin, the maternal grandfather of Addison Hardin, was also one of the good old pioneers of Kentucky. His calling was that of a miller, and he made many trips to New Orleans on the river by flat boat. His death occurred in Kentucky, when he was about seventy years of age, and his family was a large one.

Judge Franklin Hardin was a land surveyor, who located in Indiana about 1828, purchasing a farm in Marion county at Glenns Valley, but never lived upon it, he making his home on Fall creek for about two years, when he settled on a farm of 160 acres in White River township, and there he resided until his death. In addition, he bought an eighty-acre tract northwest of the home farm, which he superintended, his boys operating it as they grew to manhood. During the early days of their residence in Indiana, Judge Hardin’s duties as surveyor called him from home the greater portion of the time, and the burden of attending to the farm fell upon the shoulders of his wife, who was one of the good pioneer women of that time. He was elected judge of the Court of Common Pleas for two terms, serving eight years. This court was afterward merged into the Circuit Court, and he was also county surveyor for six years, and was a member of the lower house in the State Legislature for a number of years, and then was elected to the State Senate. Judge Hardin was also a member of the Constitutional Convention of the State, and one of the most prominent men in Johnson county. Few men of his day were better versed in the law than he, and he was a hard student and a fine mathematician and geologist, as well as a superior lawyer. His large law library was one of the finest in the State. In 1890 occurred his death, at the venerable age of eighty years; his wife had died a few years before, when she was seventy-five years old. They were members of the old school Presbyterian Church, in which they enjoyed universal respect and esteem. Six sons and two daughters were born to Judge and Mrs. Hardin, five of whom are now living: Louisa, wife of William St. John, of Morgan county; Milton, of Smith Valley, White River township; John, of White River township, near Kinder post office; Tilghman, at Bennett’s Switch post office, Miami county; and Elizabeth (Bettie), wife of Josiah Bell, of White River township.

Addison Hardin was reared upon the home farm, attending the old-fashioned subscription schools in the log cabin school houses, with a log left out for a window, the hole being covered with greased paper. The first school he attended was one of this description, taught by his father, it being one of the few then to be found in that neighborhood. These schools usually were held but three months out of the year. When he became old enough Addison Hardin became himself a school teacher, and for eight or ten terms held this position, remaining at home until twenty-eight years of age. All of his life was spent in Johnson county, with the exception of five years spent in Illinois and six years in Missouri. He owned thirty-one acres of the old farm, and forty acres adjoining, as well as 142 acres in Henry county, Md. All of his land is in excellent condition, and Mr. Hardin was an up-to-date farmer, employing modern methods and machinery, with the result that his acres yielded good returns, and his success was unquestioned. The home is a pleasant one, and he kept his barn and other out-buildings in good condition, the entire farm bespeaking the thrift and good management of the owner.

On Dec. 24, 1862, Mr. Hardin was marned in Coles county, Ill., to Miss Louisa A. Moore, daughter of William P. F. and Sarah (Goslin) Moore, and seven children were born to them: John married Miss Anna Leota Bailey, and has four children, Laura, Esther, Carl and Gertrude; Sarah Ann died when about thirty-two years of age ; Franklin lives on a farm owned by his father in Henry county, Mo., and is unmarried; Frances died at the age of five years; Martha resides in Indianapolis; Addison died in infancy; William is a railroad man, conductor on one of the Chicago elevated roads. Mrs. Hardin is a member of the Christian (or Disciples) Church, in which she is an active worker, and she is a most estimable lady. In politics Mr. Hardin was a Democrat, as was his father before him, and he held the position of school director for a number of years.

CHARLES V. HARDIN, postmaster of Fortville, Vernon township, Hancock Co., Ind., a substantial citizen and veteran of the Civil war, was born Sept. 26, 1838, in Philadelphia, Pa., son of Philip and Mary (Freeborn) Hardin.

Isaiah Hardin, grandfather of Charles V., was of Irish descent and a resident of Delaware, although he died in Philadelphia, June 30, 1821, aged fifty-three years, four months, eight days. He married Margaret, and to them were born children as follows: William, born Dec. 7, 1796; Susannah, born July 28, 1798, Thomas, born Feb. 23, 1800; Isaiah, born Sept. 23, 1801; Philip, born Aug. 19, 1803; Mary A., born April 14, 1806; Elizabeth, born June 14, 1807; Margaret, born Oct. 26, 18—; Catherine, born June 23, 1812; John, born Feb. 9, 1816; and Jacob, born in 1819.

Philip Hardin was born in Delaware, and was but a boy when his parents removed to Philadelphia, Pa. He there engaged in the tobacco business with his brother William, but in 1839 removed to Huntsville, Ind., in wagons, the journey taking six weeks. He bought a farm of eighty acres near Alfonte, but only resided thereon for one year, there engaging in agricultural pursuits, removing to Huntsville, where he learned the wagon-maker’s trade. He carried on a wagon making and blacksmith shop for many years with his brother, John, and died in the faith of the Baptist Church, Feb. 5, 1878, at Huntsville. His wife passed away in April, 1887, in Pendleton, at the home of her daughter, Margaret. Mr. Hardin was married in Philadelphia, to Mary Freeborn, born April 22, 1822, daughter of Robert and Mary (Ingham) Freeborn, and to this union there were born children as follows: Elizabeth, Margaret, Catherine, Mary L. and Charles V., all born at Philadelphia, and John, William and Evelyn, born at Huntsville. Robert Freeborn, father of Mrs. Hardin, was of Scotch stock, was a seafaring man and captain of a vessel.

He resided in New York City, where his children — Robert, Elizabeth and Mary — were born, but after the death of his wife removed to Philadelphia, where until his death he made his home with his daughter, Elizabeth.

In 1840, when about eighteen months old, Charles V. Hardin was brought to Indiana by his parents, and he was reared to manhood in Huntsville and educated in the schools of that place. He enlisted Aug. 12, 1862, at Alfonte, as a private of Company G, 12th Ind. V. I., for three years or during the war, and served until honorably discharged on account of the close of the war, at Washington, D. C., June 8, 1865. He participated in the battles of Richmond, Vicksburg, Jackson, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack Creek, Atlanta (July 20, 21, 22 and 28), Jonesboro, Savannah, Griswoldville, Columbia, S. C., Bentonville and Raleigh.

The following is an extract from Col. Reuben Williams’ farewell address, June 19, 1865, to the regiment: "For more than four years the regiment had an existence. Many of you have been present during the entire period, and all of you have fought under the same battle-scarred colors for three long years. The regiment numbered 1,400 men in all; 900 were killed or died of disease, and their bones may be found in Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, at Atlanta, Ga., and the two Carolinas and Virginia. They marched in every Southern State except two, Texas and Florida. They fought upwards of twenty distinct and bloody engagements and marched with knapsacks on their backs upwards of 6,000 miles. Thirty members of the regiment fell at Richmond. They were in the Atlanta campaign, and Sherman’s March to the Sea. At Washington the regiment had time honor of leading General Sherman’s grand army in the greatest review ever held upon this continent." Mr. Hardin was taken prisoner at Richmond, with others of his regiment, but was paroled the next day. He was a faithful, brave and cheerful soldier and bore the hardships of the army life well.

Before his enlistment Mr. Hardin had learned the trade of blacksmith, and on his return to Pendleton joined his wife and went with her to Alfonte, where he worked at his trade until 1874. At this time he came to Fortville and in 1891 was appointed master by President Harrison, a position in which he served for four years, after which he returned to his shop. During McKinley's administration he was again appointed - to that office, and he is still serving in that- capacity. He cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln and has voted for every Republican candidate for president since that time. He is a member of Sol. D. Kempton Post No. 228, 0. A. R. at Fortville, and in this he has held all of the offices, including that of commander for three years. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., Fortville, in which he has passed all of the chairs, as well as representing his Lodge at the Grand Lodge of the State. He was a charter member of the local Tribe of Red Men, held the office of sachem, and represented the Lodge in the Grand Council of the State.

Before enlisting in the Union army Mr. Hardin was united in marriage, Jan. 19, 1860, to Cynthia S. March, born in Madison Co., Ind., daughter of David and Sarah Jane (Jordan) March, and to this union there were born children as follows: William D., who died at Fortville in December, 1904; Maude F., who married E. N. Gray, of Richmond, Ind., general agent of the Massillon Bridge Company; Jesse L.; Neva K.; Fred N., a clerk in Fortville, who married Grace Bills and has one son, Phillip N.; and John.

JOHN HARDIN, a representative citizen of Johnson county and a descendant of an honored pioneer family, was born Dec. 16, 1838, in Johnson county, Ind., a son of Judge Franklin and Ann (Goslin) Hardin, both natives of the State of Kentucky.

Judge Hardin was born July 27, 1810, in Fleming, now Nicholas county, Ky., of French ancestry, and he occupied an honorable place in the history of his native State, as jurist, statesman and representative citizen. The family was so prominent in the early days of Indian warfare that three States of the Union have considered it an honor to commemorate the name in important counties.

Franklin Hardin was the fifth child in the family of ten children born to Henry and Catherine Hardin, the others being Thomas and Benjamin, both of whom settled and died in Illinois; Elihu and Mark, both of whom died in Johnson county, Ind.; Elsa became Mrs. Sibold; Ruth married R. Burns; Miss Betsey; Hannah married J. Harris; and. Rachel became Mrs. Waddle. Although these children, in the main, inherited robust constitutions and large stature from their ancestors, Franklin himself was under size, with a frail hold on life. For this reason he was given better school opportunities than his more robust brothers, and thus became prepared for the public duties which later awaited him. After the death of his father, he attended the county seminary in Carlisle for a space of six months, and with the other branches taught, was instructed very thoroughly in surveying. This knowledge was put to good account in later years. In 1822 his two older brothers explored White River Valley, Ind., and with means furnished by their father, had entered considerable land for themselves and others of the family, and in 1824 several members moved to Johnson county and a year later, the mother, with Franklin, then in his fifteenth year, set out on horseback to visit her sons in the wilderness of Indiana. Two years later the family moved to the State, and took up their abode in White River township. Franklin was ambitious, and took advantage of every opportunity to obtain an education, and early began to teach school. During this time he laboriously put in his spare time at the study of law, but he probably overdid his strength, as a spell of sickness caused him to abandon it for a time.

In 1831 he returned to Kentucky in order to marry, and with his bride went back to Indiana, taught school one year on Fall Creek and then, in the fall of 1832, settled in Johnson county, where he later had a great political career and where he made his home until his death, July 9, 1890. In 1833 he received the appointment of assessor of White River township, the first employment, aside from school teaching, that he had secured in five years. In 1836 he was appointed county surveyor, and he held that position for six consecutive years. In 1840, party lines were closely drawn and he was brought forward as a leader, doing good service for the Democratic Party, and in 1842 he received the nomination for representative. He was elected to the office, and re-elected in 1843 and 1844, and in 1845 was elected to the Senate. In 1850 he was elected a delegate to the State Constitutional convention. In 1851 land was now becoming more valuable, and people began to be anxious to have the old corner stones found and true lines of their property drawn, and there was a popular demand for the reinstatement of Mr. Hardin as surveyor, and he again filled the office for one year. However, in 1852, he was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, was re-elected in 1856, and at the close of his second term withdrew from political life. During his legislative career be held high place in the estimation of his party, was a valued advisory member, and did much good work as a lawmaker. In 1856 he was chosen a delegate to the National convention, and supported the Breckenridge wing of the party and was a candidate for elector. In all his political career and in all his incumbency in office, he was ever the honorable, dignified representative of the country’s best class of citizens. His religious connection all through life was with the Presbyterian Church.

In 1831 Franklin Hardin married Ann Goslin, daughter of Nathan Goslin, a miller by trade, later a very prominent farmer in Kentucky, who was the father of these children: Harrison, a minister in the M. E. Church; Nathan, a farmer as was also David; Amanda, who became Mrs. Tronser; Ann, who became Mrs. Hardin; Sabra, who married J. Moore; Sarah, who married W. Moore; and Mary and Martha, twins. The children born to Franklin Hardin and wife were: Louisa, who married (first) J. Hogeland, and (second) William. St. John; Addison, who married Louisa Moore, and lives on the old homestead; Milton, living in Smith Valley; John; Tilghman, a Miami county farmer; Thomas, ex-clerk of Johnson county, surveyor and man of note; and Elizabeth, Mrs. Josiah Bell.

John Hardin was born and was reared at the old homestead in Johnson county, where he remained until grown to manhood. He developed good business qualifications, and when he was prepared to marry in 1868, had accumulated means. His interests have always centered in agricultural pursuits. After marriage he settled on a farm which he had purchased prior to this event, and in connection with fanning. manufactured brick for eight years. Then he built a commodious three-story brick residence, which the family yet occupies, and made many valuable and desirable improvements. At one time Mr. Hardin owned an immense acreage, but he has disposed of a great part of it, giving his children comfortable homes. In all his operations, farming and stockraising, he has been very successful and has long been one of the solid men of his township.

Mr. Hardin, true to family tradition, has always ably supported the Democratic party, clinging, however, to the principles of its founders. Mr. Hardin has always been intolerant of frauds in any line, and in an effort to suppress some which seemed to be working against the best interests of the township, he took a bold stand, and was selected as the most efficient person to effect reforms. As a result of his efforts he obtained a reduction of the township tax levy from the sum of $1.01 to fifty-nine cents, and during his term as township trustee also paid over $3,000 debts and left the affairs of the township in first-class financial condition. His work was done ably and well, and with an eye single to duty. Mr. Hardin aims to be a good citizen in every way, and belongs to what is known as the Horse-thief organization, which is for the purpose of protecting citizens from rogues. For many years he has been most highly regarded in the Masonic fraternity.

In 1868 Mr. Hardin married Miss Lorana C. Humbert, a lady of many graces of mind and person, born May 19, 1847, in White River township, daughter of Isaac and Martha J. (Mallow) Humbert, the former of whom was a native of Ohio, and the latter of Virginia, although they were married in Indiana. The Mallow family came to the State in 1834, and their last years were spent here as highly respected residents. Mr. Humbert was a carpenter and farmer and acquired a large property, at the time of death being also one of the much esteemed citizens of White River township. His estimable widow, at the age of eighty years, is a bekved member of her son-in-law’s home. Mrs. Hardin is her only child. The father of Mrs. Humbert lived to the advanced age of ninety-three years and died in this county.

A family of five children was born to Mr. and Mrs. Hardin, the eldest, George, dying young. The others are: Mary, who married Albert Steward; Frank, who operates the home farm; Nora, who married William Dunn, a merchant at Glenns Valley; and Mattie, who is Mrs. 0. Dunn, of Delta, Iowa. The religious connection of the family is with the Christian Church.

DEWIT C. IDLER, a retired mechanic of Indianapolis, who for over forty years served as foreman of the Vandalia Railroad shops, has been a successful business man as well, and now owns considerable valuable city property. He was born at Catawissa, Columbus Co., Pa., son of William and Elizabeth (Albright) Idler.

William Idler achieved his success in life as a paper manuacturer. Born in Germany, he there received careful rearing. Availing himself of every opportunity of acquiring knowledge, he early laid the foundation of a good, practical business education. Ambitious for a wider field of activity than the over-crowded sections of his own country afforded, as a young man he broke home ties and came to the United States. At Catawissa, Pa., he at once opened a paper mill and began working up trade. Turning out good material and directing his affairs wisely, he soon established his business on a very solid foundation. Continuing to prosper, he conducted the enterprise for many years, winning for himself the confidence of business men in his section. With advancing years, in 1840, deciding to lead a less strenuous life, he closed out his business and moved to Plymouth, Ohio. There he busied himself with odd pieces of work throughout the rest of his active life, and in that place he died in 1848.

Mr. Idler married, in Pennsylvania, Elizabeth Albright, who was born in that State. Surviving her husband, she passed her last days at the home of her son, Dewit C., in Indianapolis, dying there in 1854. By this union there were ten children: Jacob married and reared several children; he died in Pennsylvania. John, who settled upon a farm in Indiana, died near Washington, in that State. Polly was married to R. Brewer. Catherine married a Mr. Furnwald. William married and had several children who grew to maturity; he died in Kentucky. Sophia was married to a Mr. Yetter. Susan married R. Brewer. Samuel, a railroad engineer, married and had several children; he was killed in the railroad service at Madison, Ind. Dewit C. is mentioned below. Elizabeth C. married a Mr. Griscomb, and they had five children; he died in Pennsylvania, and she in Hamilton, Ohio.

Mr. Idler's large capacity for work, fidelity in perfecting each task and squareness in dealings were the promoters of his success in life. His achievements and his integrity won him the esteem of all who knew him, and the Lutheran Church counted him and his wife among its leading members.

Dewit C. Idler passed his early life in Catawissa, Pa., and Plymouth, Ohio. In the public schools of these different localities he procured a good rudimentary education, developing a decided taste for mathematics and the sciences. As a further preparation for life's activities, at the age of eighteen years he went to Sandusky, Ohio, and there apprenticed himself to a machinist. Inherent ability and close application to the work enabled him in a short time to master thoroughly the details of the trade, and in 1849 he secured a position as locomotive engineer. Giving excellent satisfaction, he continued thus for about four years. Then, in 1853, he came to Indianapolis and took a similar position with the Vandalia Railroad Co., being engaged mainly in running passenger trains. Fidelity to his work and marked accommnodation won him the confidence of his employers from the start, and in 1857 he was made foreman of the company's shops at Indianapolis. Possessed of thorough knowledge of machinery, and being skilled in directing affairs, he soon fully verified the confidence reposed in him, and retaining his established reputation be continued there until 1898, when he retired from active work. Progressive in methods, practical in application, sober, industrious, and clear-headed, he proved himself one of the most efficient foremen ever employed by the company. He always commanded good wages, and as fast as he saved money he invested it so as to yield a large income, and he now owns considerable property in Indianapolis, which he rents to advantage. He is now leading a leisurely life, enjoying the fruits of his many years of hard work.

Mr. Idler was married in Indianapolis, in 1857, to Martha Schofield, who came of a prominent pioneer family of Indiana, and though left an orphanat an early age received careful rearing. She was a noble Christian woman and a consistent member of the Methodist Church. She died in May, 1879. On May 12, 1880, Mr. Idler married Mrs. Anna E. Haneisen, widow of Fred Haneisen, who was born in Germany, and became a well-known insurance man of Indianapolis, where she married him. She was born in Indianapolis, Jan. 3, 1850. By his first marriage Mr. Idler had one son, Charles, now a railroad man of Pittsburg, Pa. He was born Oct. 12, 1864, married Clara Howe, of Indianapolis, and, after her death, married in Ohio. He has two children, one by the first marriage, and one by the second. Dewitt C. Idler has had one daughter by his second marriage, Grace Ada, who was born April 11, 1888.

Mr. Idler is a man who, by his decision and force of character, commands the respect and confidence of men in all stations in life, especially among his profession, where his word has long carried weight. He is well informed upon all subjects, and in political matters he affiliates with the Republicans. In fraternal circles he stands high and has long been a member of the I. O. O. F., having joined that order in Sandusky, Ohio, in 1848. In religious sentiment he is a Methodist, and his wife a Presbyterian.

Mrs. Idler's great-great-grandfather Trucksess, born in Paris, France, was a prominent Huguenot there, and for his strong opposition to Catholics was banished. Settling in Wurtemberg, Germany, he there reared his children and passed the rest of his life, dying there. By his marriage there was a son Jacob, who continued this line of descent.

Jacob Trucksess, grandfather of Mrs. Idler, passed many years of his life in Wurtemberg, Germany. About 1833 be came to the United States and settled upon a farm, near Eaton, Ohio, where he passed the rest of his life. Making a success of his industry, he became in time a man of means. By his marriage there were eight children: Frederick, who became a prominent merchant and business man of Indianapolis; Dorothy, who married a Mr. Young; Mary, Mrs. Ashinger; John, who is mentioned below; Catherine, who married J. Wilson; Sabina; Crist, who became a farmer; and William, a blacksmith.

John Trucksess, father of Mrs. Idler, born in Wurtemberg, Germany, there learned the blacksmith's trade, and also became familiar with milling. He came to America with his parents and soon afterward opened a black-smith shop on Kentucky avenue, Indianapolis, which he conducted with success for the most part throughout the rest of his native career. He also for a few years engaged in the milling business at Plainfield. He made well out of his business and accumulated some property. He died at his home on Kentucky avenue in 1867. He married Lucinda Cool, a descendent of a prominent pioneer family of Marion county, Ind., who was one of a family of eight children: William; John; Polly, now deceased, who never married; Lucinda, mother of Mrs. Idler; Nancy; Betsy; Sallie, and Frederick. Mrs. Trucksess died in 1888. To her and her husband were born eight children: Theodore, a blacksmith, died in Landersdale, in August, 1901; Mary married P. Morrison; Fred resides in Indianapolis; Anna E., is mentioned above; Tolbert has been an engineer on the Vandalia Railroad for twenty-four years; Clara married P. Austermiller; Emma and Lilla have never married.

Mr. Trucksess was a leading Democrat of the old "Bloody Fifth" ward, and he served as a member of Andy Johnsons bodyguard when the latter made his tour of the country. During the riot he was wounded near his left eye. He was also arrested for being connected with the affair, but was honorably acquitted. He was a man of integrity, and a consistent member of the Baptist Church; his wife belonged to the Presbyterian Church.

WILLIAM N. JACKSON, who was "Uncle Billy" Jackson to the thousands of people in Indianapolis who called him friend, was probably one of the most widely known men who have ever lived in that city. He was one of the characters of his day, known best for his kindliness and unstinted generosity, though aside from his reputation as a philanthropist he had high standing as a business man and was popular wherever known. He aided thousands, in many ways. Gen. John Coburn said of him: "I have known William N. Jackson since I was a boy. He came to Indianapolis in an early day and engaged in the mercantile trade, was also secretary and treasurer of the Madison and Indianapolis Railway Company, and was later connected with the Bellefontaine railroad. He was an active Presbyterian, a generous, kindhearted bachelor gentleman of the old school. He was a good friend and fond of society, a man upright and moral and an unpretending Christian, universally respected, beloved by everybody"