DR. JESSE H. LANAM, one of the leading members of the medical profession in Franklin, Ind., was born Nov. 9, 1847, near Caldwell, Ohio, son of William W. and Arathusa (Ogle) Lanam, natives of Ohio.

Thomas Lanam, the grandfather, was a native of Maryland, and one of the early settlers of Noble county, Ohio, where he took up government land and improved it and reared a large family. The working portion of his life was spent upon a farm, and he died in Ohio, at the age of eighty-five years. The family of Lanam originally came from Scotland, and the descendants possess many of the sterling qualities of that nation. The maternal grandfather was Hercules Ogle, a native of Virginia, who removed to Ohio at an early day in the history of that State, first settling in Columbiana county, and later in Ross county, where he died at the age of ninety-three. During the War of 1812, he was in the employ of the government as a spy, and the habits of close observation acquired at this time, remained with him through life. By occupation this most worthy man was a blacksmith, and his descendants are many, for he had a large family.

William W. Lanam was a farmer and mail contractor in Noble county, Ohio, but devoted the greater portion of his attention to the former calling. His death occurred in 1883, near Zanesville, Ohio, at the age of seventy-five years. His wife survived until 1894, and was seventy-nine at the time of her death. Both were earnest members of the Methodist Church. Six sons and four daughters came to bless their union, of whom the following survive: Frances, wife of Joseph Carter of Gallipolis, Ohio; Nancy, wife of Seneca Lyle, of Bridgeport, Ohio; Levi of Alliance, Ohio; Dr. Jesse H.; Mary, wife of Joseph Taylor, of Zanesville, Ohio; and Emma, wife of S. B. Johns of Bridgeport, Ohio. One brother Hiram enlisted in Company D, 27th 0. V. I., and was killed July 22, 1864, at the battle of Peach Tree Creek. Another brother, Martin enlisted in Company K, 30th 0. V. I., and died in April, 1901. The eldest of the family, Thomas, was drowned at Senecaville, Ohio, about 1858, while carrying the United States mail. The youngest brother, William, was auditor of Noble county, Ohio, and died at the county seat, of typhoid fever, in 1888.

Dr. Jesse H. Lanam resided in Noble county, Ohio, six miles from Caldwell, until 1876, and he attended the common schools of that neighborhood, as well as a normal school at Caldwell for a number of years, and later entered Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio. After this, he taught school for a number of years, and also took a commercial course at Valparaiso, Ind. During all these years, even when a boy upon his father’s farm, Dr. Lanam was interested in the medical profession, and he finally resolved to enter it. With this idea in view, he read medicine at Franklin, graduating from the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons in Indianapolis, in 1882. After graduating, Dr. Lanam began the practice of medicine at Nineveh, Johnson Co., Ind., and remained there until 1887, when he removed to Edinburg, Ind. Here he remained until 1896, when he located in Franklin, and has since remained, residing on East Jefferson street, where he owns an excellent home.

On April 19, 1883, Dr. Lanam married Miss Carrie McCaslin, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (McCaffrey) McCaslin, and one daughter has been born of this union, Nellie. Mrs. Lanam and daughter are earnest members of the Presbyterian Church. In 1871, Dr. Lanam was made a member of the Masonic fraternity, while living in the State of Ohio, and is now connected with Franklin Lodge No. 107, F. & A. M., Franklin Chapter No. 65, R. A. M. and Franklin Commandery No. 23, K. T., and is a Scottish Rite Mason. In politics Dr. Lanam is a Republican, and always supports the candidates of that party.

During his career as a physician, Dr. Lanam has pursued his profession with great interest, always embracing every opportunity for keeping thoroughly abreast of the advances made in medical science, and he is an active member of the Johnson County Medical Society and the Indiana State Medical Society. Being a skilled and learned physician, as well as possessing in marked degree a personality which wins confidence and inspires respect, Dr. Lanam has met with enviable success, and is destined to still greater success in the years before him.

JOHN LANDERS was born in Morgan county, Ind., Oct. 14, 1830, a son of William and Delila (Stone) Landers, and grandson of Jonathan Landers.

Jonathan Landers was born in England, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. The black plague destroyed all his family, leaving him alone in the world at the age of twenty years. Coming to Virginia in Colonial times, he fought in the Revolution. When peace returned he again settled in Virginia, where he married a widow, Mrs. Withero, who was possessed of considerable property, which, however, went to the children of her former marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Landers moved to Kentucky, where he followed farming, and in 1820, moving still farther west, became pioneer settlers in Morgan county, Ind. There he entered land which he converted into a good farm, and by industry, thrift and integrity he became wealthy, owning large tracts of land. He was noted as one of the solid and substantial citizens of Morgan county. In politics a Democrat, he had no aspiration for office, but lived and died a plain, honest farmer. He was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, and was thoroughly honored and respected in the community. His children were as follows: William, the father of John Landers; James, who went to Missouri, where he became a prominent slave holder, his family being on the Confederate side during the Civil war; John, a farmer in Indiana; and Lucy, Mrs. Priest, who died in Iowa.

William Landers was born in Virginia in 1788, and when ten years old accompanied his parents on their removal to Kentucky, then a very new country, where he assisted his father in the cultivation of a small farm. There he was first married, and had a family of five children, all sons. In 1820 all the members of the Landers family in Kentucky removed to Indiana, settling in Morgan county, where about a year later Mrs. William Landers died. The country was still infested with Indians and wild game abounded. William Landers entered land, became a successful farmer, and in time became one of the influential men of the county. In politics he was a strong Democrat, and well known as one of the active workers in the party organization; he was connected with the Martinsville Democrat, which he ran, and which had a large circulation. For many years he was associate judge of Morgan county, and long filled the office of justice of the peace, as well as other positions of honor and trust. A candidate for representative, he was defeated by a small vote on the issue whether the canal should be built in sections or altogether. Taking the latter proposition, he ran counter to the opinion of the public, and suffered defeat. Broadminded and intelligent, he was well and favorably known throughout his section of the State. His death occurred Oct. 10, 1851. He was survived by all his large family.

William Landers was first married, in Kentucky, to Eva Stone, who was born in that State, a daughter of Nimrod and Sarah (Craig) Stone. Her parents were both born in Virginia, and in an early day moved to Kentucky, in 1820 coming to Morgan county, Ind. Her father was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and was a wheelwright by trade. In religious matters he was associated with the Primitive Baptist Church, and was a relative of Bartlett Stone, of Kentucky, a reformer of national reputation, and an associate with Alexander Campbell in the establishment of what is commonly known as the Camphellite Church. Nimrod Stone united with the rising church, and became one of the most zealous advocates of the new order, devoting most of his remaining life to its ministry in different parts of Indiana. He was a pure-minded, Christian gentleman, and died in 1844, at the ripe age of eighty-seven years. His children were as follows: Eva, the first wife of William Landers; Nancy, Mrs. Green; Polly, Mrs. Hood; Delila, the second wife of William Landers, and the mother of John; Gabriel, deceased; and John. The children of William and Eva Landers were: Jonathan, a farmer; Joshua, a farmer and a druggist; William, a farmer; Nimrod, who was a farmer, served in the Mexican war, was a strong and leading Democrat, and died at Lebanon, Indiana; and Jeremiah, a physician.

For his second wife William Landers married Delila Stone, a sister of his first wife and a native of Mercer county, Ky. To this union were born the following children: (1) Washington, died leaving one son. (2) Franklin, who became a man of national reputation, began life as a farmer and school teacher. He dealt in general merchandise at Waverly; platted the town of Brooklyn, where he sold many town lots, and where he conducted a general store; became interested in the wholesale dry-goods business in Indianapolis; for many years did pork packing on a most extensive scale in this city; was a large land owner, farmer, and stockman, dealing extensively in stock, making a specialty of mules. He represented Morgan and Johnson counties in Congress, and was a candidate for governor in 1876, being defeated by A. G. Porter. He was a leader of the Democratic party in the State, and a strong campaigner, being a man of earnest convictions, and the most honest intentions. He died in September, 1901. (3) Sarah became Mrs. C. Vickery. (4) Henry became a farmer. (5) Ibba, died young. (6) John is mentioned further on. (7) Harriet became Mrs. Cox. (8) Jackson, who was at one time the treasurer of Marion county, is now the secretary and treasurer of the Encaustic Tile Works.

John Landers was reared on his father’s farm, remaining at home until he reached manhood. For two years he was engaged in a general merchandise business at Waverly, and while there was married. After this he went to farming, at the same time devoting himself to handling stock. In this line he still continues. At one time he was interested in pork packing with his brother, but resumed farming. In 1870 Mr. Landers located in Indianapolis, where he had built a commodious residence, and he now hires his farm work done, still carrying on the farm to suit himself. For years he has been known as one of the leading farmers in White River Valley. In politics he is an uncompromising Democrat, but cherishes no aspirations for official station.

John Landers married Miss Polly A. Jackson, who was born in Marion county, Ind., May 27, 1833, daughter of Eli and Celia (Cook) Jackson. Her parents were from North Carolina, where they were married, and were members of the Society of Friends. They came to Indiana in 1831 and entered land, improving a farm in Marion county, on which Mr. Jackson died in 1835. His widow long survived, and died in Iowa. Their children were as follows: Elizabeth, the wife of Samuel Swope; Joseph, who served in the Civil war, and died in 1898; Jessup, of Nebraska; Sally, Mrs. House, of Iowa; Polly A., the wife of John Landers; and Eli, a farmer in Morgan county.

John and Polly A. Landers have had the following family: Hicklin J., a prominent rice farmer in Louisiana, and a manufacturer of machinery; Laurissa, the wife of Benedict White, a traveling salesman, who died Oct. 21, 1901, leaving her with one son, John Landers White, a member of the Society of the Sons of the Revolution; Louisa, who married George Neff, a business man of Kansas City ; Arlina, Mrs. Hendricks, whose husband was a prominent member of the legal profession. The death of Mr. White was the first for many years in the immediate family.

J. L. MATTHEWS, banker, farmer and prominent citizen of Mooresville, Morgan Co., Ind., is a descendant of an old and honorable New England family, and was born at Gardner, Worcester Co., Mass., Dec. 24, 1844. His parents, James C. and Alvira (Bush) Matthews, were both natives of Massachusetts, and his great-grandfather served in the Revolution, after which he settled on a farm. The original founders of the family in America came from Scotland in Colonial days, and were prominently identified with the settlement and development of New England. The parents of James C. Matthews had children as follows: Hezekiah, a resident of his native State, now over ninety years of age; Joel, a farmer; Lewis, a merchant; James C.; Mrs. Pratt; Mrs. Joseph Gile; Lydia, Mrs. Flint; and Miss Lucy. The parents were worthy members of the Congregational Church.

James C. Matthews lived at Gardner all his life, there marrying and rearing his family. He died in 1854. He was one of the original promoters of the chair industry at that place, which developed into the most extensive chair manufacturing locality in the world. He owned a farm which he lived on and operated during the summers, working at chair-making during the winters, and he accumulated ample means for subsistence in his old age. He was a man devoted to the welfare of his family and secured the best possible educational advantages for them. His wife was Alvira Bush, daughter of Artemas Bush, a native of Massachusetts and a farmer by occupation, whose children were: Alvira, Mrs. Matthews; Maria, who never married; and a son, who died young. Mrs. Matthews died in 1876. Both she and her husband were consistent members of the Congregational Church. Their children were: Ephraim, who became a chair manufacturer in Massachusetts; Eliza, Mrs. Charles Averill; Miss Lucinda; Alvin, a butcher; J. L.; and Sarah, Mrs. Jacob Holden.

J. L. Matthews remained under the parental roof until after he reached the age of eleven years when he went to work for a neighboring farmer, continuing thus for six years. He then enlisted for service in the Civil war, entering for nine months, as a member of Company K, 42d Mass. V. I., under Col. Burrill, and was assigned to the Department of the Gulf under Gen. Banks. On Jan. 1, 1863, at Galveston, Tex., the colonel and a portion of the regiment and three other regiments were captured, but our subject was with the remainder of the regiment which, being on another transport, escaped capture. They returned to New Orleans, where they were assigned to the charge of the pontoon bridges between Baton Rouge and Port Hudson. Returning again to New Orleans after a short time, they made the bridge which was towed to and used in the battle of Bayou Cache. After that they went to Alexandria, on the Red River, and crossed in the rear of Port Hudson, where they laid a bridge on the bend in the river, at the place where the colored troops were so badly cut to pieces. They then drew nearer to, Port Hudson, and following the battle there, went to Donaldsonville, reaching that point after the battle. Mr. Matthews then went to Algiers, and took the steamer for New York, thence proceeding to Readville, Mass., where he received his honorable discharge, after eleven months service, Aug. 20, 1863. He escaped both wound and capture, although he had taken part in many dangerous enterprises.

Mr. Matthews resumed farm work for a while, and later served three or four years in the capacity of a clerk in a store. In 1869 he first came to Indianapolis. After a short time he went to Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained two years, employed for a few months as a shipper for the Biddeford Chair Company, after which he took a position at the Cleveland Workhouse, as overseer of the chair work. Later he traveled in the interest of a chair house; and then returned to Indianapolis, where he found employment in a manufacturing plant where money drawers were made. In 1878 he came to Mooresville and engaged with a partner in a lumber business, which relationship was soon dissolved, Mr. Matthews continuing alone. He handled at this time mostly native timber, walnut and cherry lumber, which he bought ready made, though he also bought logs in the tree and hired the sawing done. For five years he successfully carried on an extensive business, wholesaling his lumber, which he shipped to different points, his customers being for the most part eastern firms. About 1880 he bought a farm and became interested in its operation, although he has always continued to reside in Mooresville.

In 1885 he became a stock holder in the Farmers Bank of Mooresville, of which he has been the president since 1900, previous to which he was, vice-president for many years. It is a bank of exchange, deposit and discount, doing business under the laws of the State of Indiana, with a capital of $35,000, and a surplus of $28,000. It was organized in 1873, and has ever been regarded as one of the most substantially sound and safe financial institutions in the State. The confidence with which it is regarded by the public is shown in the fact that the deposits amount to over $200,000.

Mr. Matthews has been often called upon to handle and settle estates, and his successful settlement of the Franklin Landers estate will stand as one of the best evidences of his business ability and acumen, as well as an index to the high integrity of his business standards. In 1900 when he and Mr. Edwin Nichols took over the settlement this estate was in a hopeless condition. The land was deeded to them. Mr. Nichols dying in 1904, the entire responsibility of finishing this task fell on Mr. Matthews’s shoulders, and he well deserved the laurels he won in saving the old home farm of 1,000 acres. This is but one of the many estates he has settled successfully. His methodical business habits, conservative conduct, and correct system in all trusts win the approval of all concerned and the admiration of his business associates, who respect his opinions to a marked degree.

In political sentiment Mr. Matthews is a Republican, but he is no politician, being so busy with private concerns and without aspiration for public honors. He has been a member of the town board, and in 1900 was elected a member of the county council, but he has declined many such offers of preferment, though he has proved himself a thoroughly public-spirited citizen by giving his service and influence in other ways. His wide acquaintance and high reputation make his support an important factor in, the success of local movements, and he is always found in the front rank of any enterprise for the betterment and benefit of his community. Charitable and kind, he is ever ready to give a helping hand where it is needed.

One of Mr. Matthews’s many benefactions was the gift of the substantial sum of $2,500 for the building and furnishing of a room in the Methodist Episcopal Hospital and Deaconess Home of the State of Indiana, situated in Indianapolis. Mr. Matthews not only gave this substantial amount toward the funds, but he also devoted a great deal of his time to the managing board. He was one of the promoters of this beneficial institution, was a member of the building committee, and is today one of the active trustees of the Hospital, which ranks among the best institutions of its kind in the State.

Mr. Matthews was married Oct. 24, 1882, to Miss Flora C. Cox, who was born in Morgan county, Ind., in August, 1854, daughter of John B. and Harriet (Landers) Cox. They have no children. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews are earnest members of the M. E. Church, in which Mr. Matthews is class-leader and trustee, having ever taken a leading part in the work of the congregation.

As a business man who has attained standing and independence through his own exertions, as a citizen of worth and a man of high integrity, Mr. Matthews is one of the most esteemed men of today in Mooresville. He retains his commodious residence there, and also owns a farm and much other valuable land in the region where he has been established for so many years.

John B. Cox, father of Mrs. Matthews was born in 1830 in Morgan county, son of Abner and Abby (Dollarhide) Cox, farming people of Scotch-Irish descent. They came a pioneers to Morgan county, Ind., in 1820, and endured the privations of those early days with courage and patience, realizing before they died ample rewards in comfortable means and devoted children. Abner Cox was a stanch Democrat. He was one of the founders of the Methodist religion in his neighborhood and built a house of worship, which he presented to the society, on his farm. His children were: Asa, Larkin and Dennis, farmers; John B., father of Mrs. Matthews; Mary, Mrs. Gregory; Abby, Mrs. Randolph; and Delilah, Mrs. William Knox.

John B. Cox was reared to farming. In 1853 he married and settled on land which he successfully cultivated, bought and sold stock for the government, during the Rebellion, and was connected with the mule business for the government with Wood & Fudra, of Indianapolis. He was a strong Republican, became a citizen of much importance in Morgan county, and was also a leading member of the Methodist Church. At his death, which took place in October, 1865, he left a large estate. He was a man who held the good will of all who knew him. He married Harriet Landers, who was born in Morgan county, Ind., Dec. 17, 1835, daughter of William and Delilah (Stone) Landers, and to them were born three children: Flora C., wife of J. L. Matthews; Emma, wife of Dr. Thomas Stuckey, of Indianapolis; and Ida B., Mrs. Charles Sheets, of Mooresville. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cox were members of the Methodist Church.

William Landers, father of Mrs. Harriet Cox, and son of Jonathan Landers, was born in 1788 in Virginia. Jonathan Landers was an early settler in Virginia of Scotch-Irish descent, and served in the Revolutionary war. He was twenty-one years old when he came from England, after losing all of his relatives by the Black plague. After the Revolution he married a widow named Withero, in Virginia, where most of his children were born. In the early days he removed to Kentucky, and in 1820 was a pioneer in Indiana, where he entered land and improved a good farm in Morgan county. There he died, a man of large means and highly esteemed. His children were: William, father of Mrs. Cox; James, who settled in Missouri, and was a Confederate sympathizer during the Civil war; John, deceased, who was a farmer in Indiana; and Lucy, Mrs. Priest.

William Landers was ten years old when his parents moved to Kentucky, and there he contracted his first marriage, and settled down to farming. After five children were born to him, he moved, in 1820, to Morgan county, Ind., where he bought and owned large tracts of land during his life, becoming a successful farmer and a wealthy man. He was a strong supporter of Democratic principles and he established the Martinsville Democrat, a paper of large circulation, which he ran for some time. He was associate judge for many years, justice of the peace for many years, and held many public offices of honor and trust. On one occasion he was nominated for the Legislature. The canal question was the great issue that campaign, and the stand he took defeated him, though the people came to realize afterward that he was foresighted and not mistaken in his ideas. He wanted to have the work classified, but the value of his plans was not appreciated until later. During all the political campaigns in which he took part he was noted for his intelligent devotion to the interests of the people, and enjoyed universal esteem. His death took place Oct. 10, 1851, when he was sixty-three years old.

The first wife of Mr. Landers was Eva Stone, daughter of Nimrod H. and Sarah (Craig) Stone, natives of Virginia, the former a Revolutionary soldier. He removed to Kentucky and in 1820 became a pioneer in Morgan county, Ind. He was a wheelwright by trade, and followed that calling. In early life he was a Primitive Baptist preacher, but later became very active in the Campbellite Church. He was a near relative of Bartlett Stone, of Kentucky, the noted supporter and follower of Alexander Campbell. Mrs. Eva Stone Landers died in Indiana in 1821, and the second wife of Mr. Landers was Delilah Stone, a native of Kentucky and a sister of his former wife. To this marriage were born these children: Washington, who died leaving one son; Franklin; Sarah, who married Cyrus Vickery, both dying in Iowa; Henry, a farmer in Morgan county; Eva, who died aged twelve years; John, a prominent citizen of Indianapolis; Harriet, who married J. B. Cox; and Jackson, of Indianapolis. Of this family Franklin Landers became very prominent.

He began life as a farmer; taught school; engaged in merchandising in Waverly; platted the town of Booklyn and engaged in merchandising there; became interested in the Conduit wholesale dry goods store in Indianapolis, later the Hibben & Murphy establishment, and later for over twenty years was an extensive pork packer of that city. He bought and owned large tracts of fine farming land; conducted farming on a large scale; and was the most extensive mule raiser and dealer in the State. He was a leading Democrat, represented Morgan county and Johnson county in the National Congress, and in 1876 was a candidate for governor of Indiana against Albert G. Porter. He died in October, 1901.

AMOS D. McCORMACK. Few there are of the present inhabitants of Indiana, who have followed the development of the country through so many years as has Amos D. McCormack, long a resident of Indianapolis, but later of Lebanon, Boone county. Born in the former city Jan. 29. 1827, Mr. McCormack has watched the section round him gradually change from an almost unbroken region to a country dotted with thriving cities and villages.

The paternal grandfather was John McCormack, a Virginia farmer, of Scotch-Irish descent, and the father of a large family. He lived but to middle life, his demise occurring in 1837. He had moved westward from Virginia to Ohio, and there his son, James, father of Amos D. was born. A millwright by trade, James McCormack went from Ohio to Indiana among the early pioneers, and settled first in Connersville. Later, in March, 1819, he and two brothers, Samuel and John, went to Indianapolis and made that city their home for many years, John building the first house on Washington street, on the banks of the White River. James left Indianapolis for a year or more to try his fortunes in Rush county, but he returned and bought the land where. Crown Hill Cemetery now is. In 1840 he moved across the river, and on the east side built a mill, which he ran for a few years. His next residence was in Hendricks county, where his death occurred in 1858, at the age of sixty-one. By his wife, Patsey (Perkins) McCormack, he had thirteen children, seven sons and six daughters, of whom five are now living, namely: John L, of Indianapolis; Amos D.; Ira Newton, of Jamestown; James William, of Bainbridge; Putnam Co., Ind.; and Kate, wife of William H. Eagle, of Frankfort, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. MeCormack were both Baptists. She survived him until 1880, and died in Frankfort, aged seventy-seven. Mrs. McCormack was a native of South Carolina, daughter of Jacob Perkins, a native of that State also, and a dry goods merchant by occupation. He was one of the early pioneers of Indiana, and died on the family homestead near Rushville in 1837, in middle life. His wife, whose maiden - name was Elizabeth Sailors, bore him twenty-one children, eighteen of whom lived.

Amos D. McCormack was reared in Indianapolis, and continued to make that city his home until 1866. He attended the subscription schools, and continued his education until he was sixteen years old, and then began learning the tailor’s trade, which he has followed ever since. In 1866 he removed from Indianapolis to Lebanon, and established himself there permanently as a tailor. In 1892 he built his present home at No. 424 North East street.

On Oct. 2, 1851, Amos D. McCormack and Susan Koontz were united in marriage. Miss Koontz was the daughter of John and Hester Koontz. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McCormack: Harry and Luella, but both died in early childhood. Mr. McCormack and his wife are both members of the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Republican — one of the stanch old party men who voted for Fremont in 1856, and he has continued steadfast in the faith.