HON. ROBERT W. McBRIDE, who served as judge of the Thirty-fifth circuit for six years, and of the Supreme court of Indiana a little over two years, and now counsel for the Loan Department of the State Life Insurance Company, Indianapolis, was born in Richland county, Ohio, Jan. 25, 1842. His parents, Augustus and Martha A. (Barnes) McBride, were natives respectively of Washington county, Pa., and Richland county, Ohio. The Judge’s grandfather was of Scotch birth, his ancestors coming to America just after the Revolutionary war and settling in Washington county, Pennsylvania.

Augustus McBride was brought to Ohio in his infancy, was reared there, and became a carpenter by trade. He died in the City of Mexico in February, 1848, aged twenty-nine years, while serving as a soldier in the Mexican war. He and his wife were identified with the Methodist Episcopal denomination. They had three Sons and one daughter, three of whom are now living, namely: Judge Robert W.; Mary J., widow of R. S. McFarland, of Lawrence, Kans.; and James N., of Waterloo, Ind., Mrs. McBride married James Sirpless for her second husband, and they had four children, three now living: Albert B., of Lawrence, Kans.; William A., a farmer living near Shiloh, Richland Co., Ohio; and Mrs. Nellie Beeler, a widow of Lawrence, Kans. The mother of this family died in 1896 on her farm five miles from Mansfield, half a mile from where she was born. She was aged seventy-two years at the time of her death. Her father, Wesley Barnes, was born in Virginia in 1796; of English descent. He was a farmer and one of the pioneers of Richland county, Ohio, settling there in 1816 but he died near Kirkville, Iowa, in 1862, aged sixty-six years, and was buried in the Kirkville cemetery. He married Mary Smith, whose father, as well as his brothers, was in the Revolutionary war.

Robert W. McBride lived in Richland county until he was thirteen years old; then he went to Iowa where he lived until he was twenty, teaching school in Mahaska county for three years. Returning to Ohio he enlisted in the 7th Independent Squadron of Cavalry, which afterward became President Lincoln’s body-guard and was his mounted escort until he was assassinated; the Judge was a non-commissioned officer in same.

After the war Judge McBride taught school and studied law in Ohio; and at Waterloo, Ind., and was admitted to the Bar in April, 1867 He began practicing at Waterloo, Ind., in a partnership with Judge James I. Best, now one of the leading attorneys of Minneapolis, and who was a member of the Supreme Court commission of Indiana during its entire existence. They were together one year. He then practiced alone for a year, and later with Joseph L. Morlan, who died while they were in partnership, in 1879. He was again alone until 1882, when he was elected judge of the Thirty-fifth Judicial district. In 1890 he moved to Elkhart, and in December of that year was appointed one of the judges of the Supreme court, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Judge Joseph S. Mitchell. Judge McBride served until January, 1883 when he returned to his practice, and in April, 1893, formed a partnership with Caleb S.Denny, at Indianapolis, Ind. They were together until Feb. 1 1904, and meantime, on Sept. 1 1900, associated with them William M. Aydelotte, the firm becoming McBride, Denny & Aydelotte. Later Mr. Aydelotte retired, and Mr. Denny’s son, George L. Denny, became a member of the firm, under the name of McBride, Denny & Denny. In 1893 Judge McBride moved to Indianapolis, where he has had his home ever since.

On Sept. 27, 1868 he married Miss Ida S. Chamberlain, daughter of Dr. James N. and Catherine (Brink) Chamberlain, the former of whom was a graduate of the Western Reserve College of Physicians and Surgeons; Cleveland, Ohio, and was one of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of Indiana. They have been blessed with four children: Daisy I. married Fred. C. Starr, and bore him two children, Kathryn M. and Robert McBride; she is now the wife of Kent A. Cooper, of Indianapolis. Charles H. married Minnie Cohu, who died a few months after their marriage. Herbert W. spent something over two years in British Columbia, engaged in mining, but now lives with his father in Indianapolis and is associated with him in the practice of law. Martha Catharine married James P. Hoster; they live in Indianapolis, and have two sons, George McBride and James Perry, Jr.

Judge McBride and his wife are members of the Central Avenue M. E. Church. Fraternally the Judge has been a member of the Scottish Rite Masons since Jan. 9, 1867, and he holds membership in Pentalpha Lodge, F. & A. M.; Keystone Chapter, R. A. M., of Indianapolis; Raper Commandery, No. 1, of Indianapolis, and has been exalted to the thirty-second degree in the brotherhood. He is past eminent commander of Apollo Commandery, No. 19, K. T., of Indiana. He is also a member of Waterloo Lodge, No. 221, of Odd Fellows, and of Star Lodge, No.7, Knights of Pythias, and a member of the Grand Lodge of both of those orders. He is also a member of George H. Thomas Post, G. A. R., of Indianapolis, and is a past post commander. In political sentiment he is a Republican.

Judge McBride was a member of the Indiana National Guard from 1879 to 1893, joining in 1879 as captain of a company which afterward became Company A, 3d Regiment. He was the first to hold the rank of lieutenant-colonel of the regiment, and was afterward its colonel, but resigned as colonel in January, 1891, after he went on the bench of the Supreme Court.

JOHN P. McCANN, a retired farmer, who has lived in Center township for the past seventy-five years, is said to be the oldest continuous resident of Boone county. In years he is almost a centenarian, for his birth occurred in 1813, on the 21st of December, in Nicholas county, Ky. His parents were James and Elizabeth (Cunningham) McCann.

James McCann was born in Ligonier Valley, Pa., and was only a child when his parents took him to Kentucky, then only beginning to be settled, and with the Indians still numerous. As be grew older he became a cripple, due to a disease known as white swelling, and being thus shut off from many active pursuits, he supported himself for the greater part of his life by being a shoemaker. As a young man he taught school for some years. In 1833 be went to Indiana, and settled in Boone county, where for fourteen years he held the office of county recorder. A member of the Christian Church (Disciples), as was also his wife, he was well acquainted with Alexander Campbell and many of the early reformers in the Restoration movement. He died in Boone county in his eighty-fifth year, and his wife survived him, dying when she was nearly ninety. They had four sons and four daughters, and the three still living are: John P.; Nancy, widow of Quartis E. Rust; and Mary, widow of Frank Williams, of Center township. The paternal grandfather of John P. McCann was John McCann. He married a Galbreath. John McCann was a native of Pennsylvania of Scotch-Irish descent, and was a tavern keeper in Kentucky, near Marysville. He was killed in middle life by falling from a tree, leaving a good sized family. His wife married again, had six children by the second marriage and lived to a good old age. She was a Presbyterian. The maternal grandfather of John P. McCann, was a native of Ireland, who came to America, lived for many years in Kentucky, and there died at an advanced age. He had two sons and four daughters.

John P. McCann was nearly twenty years old when he came to Boone county with his father. His education had been gained in the subscription schools in Kentucky, and from an early age he had worked on a farm, so that he naturally continued through life making farming his vocation. He lived with his father until the latter left the farm in order to serve as county recorder, when the place was divided and half of it given to the son. This eighty acres he afterward exchanged for 108 acres, which he improved and occupied for many years. He has now divided his land among his children and grandson, and makes his home with John Reynolds. Formerly a Whig in his political views, he went from that party to the Republican, which he has ever since supported.

Mr. McCann’s first wife was Miss Jane Forsyth, a native of Kentucky; they were married Jan. 5, 1837, and four children were born to them: James and David H., the eldest and youngest, were killed in the Civil war, the former served three years, then re-enlisted in March, and in June, was fatally wounded in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain the latter only eighteen years of age when he enlisted served in the last two years of the war, and died from fever contracted during his military life. Nancy, the third child, married the late Edward Reynolds, and had eight children John A., James A., William, Harry E., Robert R., May, Stella and Charley (William died at the age of ten years). Elizabeth, the second child of John and Jane McCann, is unmarried and makes her home with her father with the Reynolds family, on one of Mr. McCann’s former farms, a mile and a half north of Lebanon, which he has occupied since 1861. Mrs. Jane (Forsyth) McCann died in 1879 aged sixty-eight years. She and her husband were charter members of the Lebanon Christian Church.

In 1884 Mr. McCann married (second ) Mrs. Ruth Edmundson, widow of Rev. Robert Edmundson, a minister of the Christian Church, to which she belonged. Her death occurred March 26, 1902, at the age of seventy-eight years. By her first marriage Mrs. McCann had had five children, one of whom died; the others are Monroe, George, Newton and Frank (Mrs. Matthew Kinsell).

Mr. McCann has seen the county grow from a wilderness to its present fine state of development. When he first came to Lebanon there were but two or three houses there, and in the growth of the region he did all in his power to assist the progress of civilization and he worthily holds a place among the representative and prominent men of Boone county. From early life be has been a devout follower of the teachings of the Christian Church, and has been an elder in the Lebanon organization almost continuously for over twenty years.

LYCURGUS P. McCORMACK, whose important position as State labor commissioner of Indiana has enabled him to do much in the interest of peace and the progress of industry, is a resident of Indianapolis and a member of the third generation of his family to live in that city. The name of McCormack has been known and respected in Indianapolis from its very beginning, for John McCormack — a brother of James McCormack, grandfather of Lycurgus P. built the first house in what is now the capital of Indiana, settling here in 1820. Descendants of both brothers are numerous in Indianapolis and other cities of the State, and, indeed, are found throughout the country.

The McCormacks are of Scottish extraction, and the ancestors of this branch moved from Scotland to the North of Ireland, whence the early ancestors in America emigrated. They crossed the ocean about the year 1700, and settled first in Pennsylvania. thence moving to near Winchester, Va. When the troubles which culminated in the Revolution began they sympathized with the Colonial cause, and John McCormack, Sr., the greatgrandfather of Lycurgus P. McCormack, according to the records enlisted three times, twice from Virginia and once from Pennsylvania, being in the service from 1775 to 1783. He was born Aug. 13, 1754, in Virginia, and on March 24, 1785, married Catharine Drennan, who was born Jan. 25, 1769. They had eight sons and six daughters. The family moved from Virginia to Butler county, Ohio, and in 1808 farther out into what was then known as the Northwest Territory, settling near the present site of Connersville, Ind., where they built the first cabin in the settlement. The Indian fort was still there and occupied. John McCormack was a man of fine character; highly regarded for his ability and intelligence, and took an active part in the organization of Fayette county. The first grand jury met in his house. He died April 18, 1837, and his wife survived him many years, having reached the great age of ninety-three years when she died, Feb. 22, 1862. She received a pension as a widow of a Revolutionary soldier until her death.

James McCormack, son of John and Cathanne (Drennan) McCormack, was born in 1797 in Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio, and was only a boy when his parents came to Indiana. While still young he learned the trade of millwright, which he followed all his life, and many of the old-fashioned water-mills in central Indiana were of his construction. His brother, John (born in Hamilton county Ohio, Sept. 25, 1791 - died Aug. 25, 1875) had moved out with his family to the paternal home neat Connersville after the war of 1812, in which he served. There he remained until after the treaty of St. Mary’s (1818), when he decided to remove to the "New Purchase," the tract of land in central Indiana secured by that treaty. He and his family started for the new location Feb. 18, 1820, accompanied by twelve men, who helped to cut the road, and though the distance was but sixty miles the journey by sleds took eight days, the party landing on the banks of the White river Feb. 26, 1820. They camped on a spot near where the old National road bridge was afterward erected, and the double log cabin which was to become historic as the first white man’s dwelling in what is now the capital city of Indiana was commenced at once. It was located on the White river, on the narrow, wedge-shaped piece of ground lying between what is now West Washington street and the National road, and stood between the two bridges which later were built across the river at the base of the wedge, being just north of the east end of the Washington street bridge. Some years ago there was a popular movement on foot to secure this piece of ground for a public park, to contain a reproduction of the McCormack cabin, which went to ruin many years ago, but nothing has been accomplished in that direction. The log house was typical of the times. It contained two rooms, each eighteen feet square, separated by a passage eight to ten feet wide, and the outside was often decorated with coonskins, bearskins and more frequently deerskins, stretched out to dry. The early settlers often wore breeches made of deerskin. John McCormack located on the east bank of the river because the stream could not be forded, and moreover, the abundance of fish was an advantage not to be overlooked in the days when the immediate food supply was a question of even greater importance than it is now. James and Samuel McCormack, brothers of John, were of the party mentioned as helping him to move and erect his cabin, after which they returned to Connersville. Part of James McCormack’s family had made the journey, and he came back with his wife and the rest of his household in March. Samuel McCormack removed hither in the fall. The Indians were still in the neighborhood at the time of John McCormack’s settlement, and the nearest white settlers were those on the bluffs of the river near what is now Waverly. He kept the first tavern at that point, and when the commissioners chosen to decide upon a location for the seat of government visited this section they boarded with him part of the time. On June 7, 1820, Indianapolis was chosen, and the members of the delegation were greeted at the McCormack cabin by the few settlers of the vicinity. The McCormacks — John and James and their families — lived here for two years, and then moved about four miles up the river, to what is now the Pitts farm, on the south edge of Washington township. They bought government land, and built on the east bank, almost directly west of the present site of the Country Club. There John McCormack built the first saw mill in the county, and some of the timbers of the old dam can yet be seen at low watermark. The brothers continued to live together and operate the mill until James moved to Rush county, in 1824, after which John ran it until his death, in 1825. He had married in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1811, Bethiah Case, and they had a family of eight children, their twin daughters, Tabitha and Lavina, celebrating their fourth birthday the day after the family arrived at Indianapolis. After her husband’s death Mrs. Bethiah McCormack married a Mr. King, by whom she had four childdren, and he pre-deceased her. She continued to live near the bluffs until after the close of the Civil war, when she moved to Arcadia, Ind., to live with her twin daughters until her death, in 1879.

James McCormack, who as related made the journey from Connersville to Indianapolis with his brother John, and himself settled here in March, 1820, went back to Rush county in 1824. In 1826 he moved to Marion, Shelby county, whence he returned to Indianapolis in March, 1832. His home was on the ground now included in Crown Hill cemetery, which he had bought the previous year. There he built a house in which he lived for three years, when he moved to Millersville to build a mill for Noah Leverton, on the site of the present mill at that point. His stay there was limited to a single season, and the following spring, 1836, he located on what was known as the Morrow farm, now a part of Riverside Park, and traversed by the Big Four railroad. In 1838 he bought the old mill site where his brother John had built a mill, putting up one which he conducted for some years. Disposing of this he moved to the Huston farm, and thence to the Hoover Mill, on the other side of the river. In 1845 he made his home on the Baldwin farm, where he lived a year and then he returned to the Hoover Mill, where he remained until the big freshet of 1846-47. After that he had his home on the Martindale farm, on Eagle creek, whence he moved to a place he had bought a little south. This farm he sold and in 1853 moved into Hendricks county, near Cartersburg, where he bought land and built the mill which he was operating at the time of his death, Oct. 6, 1858.

At Connersville James McCormack married Patsy (Martha) Perkins, a native of South Carolina, daughter of John Perkins, who was also born in that State. John Perkins and his wife were both of German descent. They were pioneers in Rush county, Ind., where Mr. Perkins engaged in farming, kept a dry-goods and grocery store, and also bought stock. He and his wife died in that county. They had a large family. Eight sons and six daughters were born to James and Patsy (Perkins) McCormack, of whom five were surviving at last accounts: Jediah R., of Indianapolis; Amos P. (twin of Jediah), of Lebanon, Ind.; Ira M., of Jamestown, Ind.; James W., of Bainbridge, Ind.; and Kate, wife of William H. Eagle, of Frankfort, Ind. The mother died in Frankfort in 1880, at the age of seventy-seven years. She was a Methodist in religious faith, while Mr. McCormack was a Baptist. He was one of the first three commissioners of Marion county.

Hezekiah S. McCormack, son of James and Patsy (Perkins) McCormack, was born at Connersville, Ind., and was only an infant when the family first came to Indianapolis. He experienced many phases of life in the early days, the frequent removals of the family giving him many opportunities to become familiar with the typical features of the times. He learned the tailor’s trade, which he followed most of his life. For about twenty-five years he made his home in Danville, Hendricks county, and for four years he lived in Greencastle, returning to Indianapolis in 1873, after an absence of over a quarter of a century. He spent the remainder of his life in the city, dying here in 1885, when sixty-six years old.

Mr. McCormack married Lucinda Beatty, a native of Highland county, Ohio, born near Hillsboro. Her father, John Beatty, was born in Virginia, and he and his young wife Docia (Carter), made the journey from that State to Highland county, Ohio, on horseback. They settled on a farm near Hillsboro, and his remains are interred on that place. Mrs. Hezekiah McCormack died in 1887, at the age of seventy-one years. When a young girl she lived with her sister in the brick house on Washington street (next to the Lorraine Hotel), which was torn down the last week in November, 1901, after standing seventy years. She and her husband were Methodists in religious belief. They had three sons: Zuinglius K. (an attorney), Lycurgus P. and Charles W., all citizens of Indianapolis.

Lycurgus P. McCormack was born Jan. 17, 1846, in Danville, Hendricks county, Ind., and there spent the first nineteen years of his life. He attended the public schools and the Danville Academy (which has since become the Danville Normal), and continued his education at the Asbury University, at Greencastle (which has since become the DePauw University), from which he was graduated in 1873. He learned the printer’s trade, and became a master book and job printer in the old Cincinnati book and job office, following his trade for some twenty-five years. In 1874 h was admitted to the Bar at Greencastle, but he never practiced, though he is now a member of the Indianapolis Bar. He is a Republican in politics. In 1897 Mr. McCormack was appointed State labor commissioner by Governor Mount, his first commission expiring in 1903.

Mr. McCormack resides at No. 312 Tenth street, Indianapolis, and he owns a farm in Hamilton county, this State, which is one of the finest properties to be found in that region of fine farms. The way in which it is maintained reflects credit upon his skill and ability. He is unmarried.

THOMAS A. McCOY, a well-to-do resident of Anderson, and a member of a well-known family in Madison county, is a son of Capt. John and Lydia (Clendenning) McCoy, and was born Jan. 1, 1847, in Butler county, Ohio. His youth was spent in Springfield township, Franklin county, whither his father removed when he was nine years of age. He was educated in the district schools there.

From the outbreak of the war Mr. McCoy was eager to enlist, but was twice rejected on account of his youth. In July, 1863, although only a few months over sixteen, he was accepted, and enlisted in Butler county, Ohio, in Company K, 86th 0. V. I., under Capt. James Owens, for six months’ service. At that time he was five feet seven inches in height and weighed 130 pounds. Mr. McCoy served out his time and was honorably discharged at Cleveland, 0., in April, 1864. He was assigned to duty in Cleveland and Columbus, and also for about ten days was in the pursuit of Morgan. The infantry followed mainly by railroad, and by horses and wagons secured from farmers, and pursued the enemy to the Ohio river, where Morgan was finally captured after a skirmish. Mr. McCoy was present at the capture, and at close range saw Morgan and his officers, including his brother Richard and Basil Duke. The tired horses of the Confederates were all turned over to the Union men, and all along the road Rebels were captured as they lay on the ground completely exhausted, their horses standing by them too worn out even to eat grass. Both sides had exchanged horses at the farmers’ barns as they passed. After this raid Mr. McCoy went into camp with his regiment at Columbus, Ohio, and from there went to Kentucky. His company took part in the capture of Cumberland Gap, being detailed in squads, and sent in different directions. At that point the four States, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee come together, and the exact spot is marked by a square stone.

Mr. McCoy tried to enlist once more at Cleveland, but was rejected there, and sent home. In Franklin county he was accepted and became a private in Company H, 134th Ind. V. I., under Capt. Robert Allen, to serve 100 days. He was ordered on guard duty during this period. He was in Indianapolis, Nashville, Louisville and Stevenson, Ala., and was in no fighting except skirmishes. From the last State he went to Louisville and Henderson, Ky., on a steamer, and assisted in executing two noted guerrillas, Morgan and Powell, only about 100 Union men being present. The other guerillas made a desperate effort to rescue their comrades, and a hot skirmish ensued. Finally the enemy sent out a flag of truce and when Lieut. Spelman, McCoy and Davenport were sent out to meet it a demand was made for surrender, which they refused. They offered the guerrillas a few moments in which to retreat before the Union men would open fire, and the chance of escape was accepted. The band was one that had committed all kinds of outrages. Returning to Louisville and Nashville, Mr. McCoy spent the rest of his term of service there. He had previously been in hospital for a time at Camp Nelson, Ky., and toward the end of his enlistment he was again in hospital at Decatur, Ill., on account of a sun stroke received while on dress parade. He was senseless for three days, and also rendered deaf. From the effects of this sun stroke Mr. McCoy has not recovered. He was finally mustered out at Camp Morton, Indianapolis, in September, 1864.

After the war Mr. McCoy went home and worked on the farm, but for some time was more or less disabled and unable to work in the sun. His father then started him in business as a butcher in Mount Cannel, and for three years he drove his wagon through the surrounding country, and then continued his business at Thorntown, remaining until 1878. The next year was spent at Huntsville, Ala., where he bought a butcher shop, but in 1879 he returned to Thorntown, for three years more. From 1882 to 1888 he was conducting a butcher shop in Rushville, Ind., and then went back to Franklin county, bought the home farm and conducted it for ten years. At the end of that time he bought his present home near Anderson, a place of forty acres, which he has improved and developed into a fine farm.

At the age of twenty-five years Mr. McCoy was married in Franklin county, to Miss Elizabeth Gates, who was born there in 1851, daughter of Richard and Mary (Rosebro) Gates. Her father, a son of James Gates, was born in Butler county, Ohio, became the owner of a large farm in Franklin county, Ind., and there died at the close of the war, having these children: Francis, James and Elizabeth. Mrs. Elizabeth McCoy had two children: Clifford, born in 1874; and Ethel, in 1885. During their residence in Rushville, Mr. McCoy lost his first wife, and two years later, on Oct. 9, 1889, he was married to Miss Alice Oliver, who was born June 28, 1863, daughter of George and Mary Jane (Benn) Oliver. George Oliver came of an old Kentucky family, and was born in that State. He moved to Hamilton County, Ohio, and there married Mary Jane, daughter of Samuel and Phebe Benn, the former of whom was a Virginian, of German ancestry, and owned a farm of fifty-three acres together with a vineyard, near Cincinnati. Some time after his marriage George Oliver moved to Rush county, Ind., bought a large farm near Rushville, and he is still living there, aged eighty years. His wife died there at the age of sixty-one, the mother of three children, William, Bell and Alice. By his union to Miss Oliver, Mr. McCoy became the father of the following children, all born in Franklin county, save the youngest: Blaine B., born April 1, 1893; Reed, March 21, 1895; John Thomas, June 29, 1897; and Walter Allen, born in Madison county, July 26, 1900. Mr. and Mrs. McCoy are both members of the Methodist Church, in which he has been class leader. In politics Mr. McCoy is a Republican, and as an old soldier naturally has been found in the ranks of the G. A. R., being an ex-member of Major May post. He is also an unaffiliated member of the I. 0. 0. F., to which order he has belonged since he was twenty-four years old. Mr. McCoy has always been an industrious man, and has accumulated a good amount of property. In whatever sphere of life he has found himself, he has been faithful to every demand made upon him, and now he is one of the esteemed and honored citizens of Madison County