BENJAMIN M. NEIMAN, who for more than twenty years has been engaged in agricultural pursuits at Fishers Switch, Delaware township, is one of Hamilton countyís representative farmers and an honored survivor of the Civil war. Mr. Neiman was born Sept. 23, 1843, at the present location of North Indianapolis, Marion county, Ind., son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Myers) Neiman.

Jacob Neiman was born in Dauphin county, Pa., a member of an old family of that State, and there he engaged in farming. He was married to Elizabeth Myers, born in the same county, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Myers, and after the birth of one child came to Marion county, Ind., in 1837, making the journey by horse and wagon, this trip taking a month. Mr. Neiman purchased eighty acres of land where Riverside Park is now located, this being partly cleared, and later purchased eleven acres more, on which stood a grist mill. Here he continued to reside until his death, Feb. 25, 1868, his wife, Elizabeth, passing away in 1852, both in the faith of the Lutheran Church. In politics a Republican, Mr. Neiman was a man of much influence in his community, for eight years being trustee of Centre township.

Benjamin M. Neiman was reared to farm work among the pioneers of Marion county, and received his education in the common schools. On Aug. 11 1862, at the age of eighteen years, he enlisted in Centre township, and was enrolled Aug. 20th, as a private of Company K (called the Second Zouaves), 63rd Ind. V. I., for three years or during the war, and served until honorably discharged; at Greensboro, N. C., June 21, 1865, having served his country nearly three years. He served in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, participating in the great Atlanta campaign when the Union troops were under fire for nearly four months; battle of Dalton, Ga.; battle near Lebanon, Ky., with Morganís Raiders, who ditched their train, seventeen of his company killing seventeen Confederates ; Resaca, Ga., where nearly one-third of his company lost their lives; Buzzardís Roost, Kenesaw Mountain, Lost Mountain, Chattahoochee, Burnt Hickory, Peach Tree Creek, Marietta, Jonesboro, Atlanta, Cassville, Columbia, Tenn., Franklin, Nashville, Fort Fisher, Wilmington and Fort Anderson, as well as in fifty-two skirmishes. He was struck by a ball on the right arm at Resaca, and his clothes, haversack and a piece of bacon were shot through at the battle of Franklin. For a short time he was sick with fever in Indianapolis, and was also sick at Atlanta, but outside of this was always with his regiment, an able and active soldier.

After the war Mr. Neiman returned to the home farm, and on June 28, 1868 he was married in Marion county to Rosetta L. Trester, of German stock (the name originally being Truster), born in Washington township, Marion county, Ind., Feb. 10, 1851, daughter of David and Elizabeth (Briddle) Trester, and granddaughter of William and Elizabeth (Hanes) Trester.

William Trester was a pioneer of Bourbon county, Ky., and it is believed that he came from Germany. He owned a large tract of land and one slave, and died on his farm in Kentucky. His children were: Joseph, Martin, Samuel, Elizabeth (who married a Hayes), and David. David Trester was born March 16 1798, in Bourbon county, Ky., and came to Indiana when a young man, where he married Elizabeth Briddle, daughter of John Briddle, and she died Dec. 12, 1885. David Trester entered land on Michigan road, seven miles north of Indianapolis early in the thirties, there being but one blacksmith shop, one store and several log cabins in Indianapolis at that time. He had to blaze his way to his 160 acres of land, but this he cleared, and added to until he became very prosperous, owning residence property in Indianapolis. He died at the age of eighty-six years on the homestead. In religious belief he was an Episcopalian, while his wife was a Baptist. Their children were: William, Silas, Walter, Jasper, Lewis, Samuel, Mary Ann, Sarah Jane, Rosetta, and Louisa. Of this family Walter enlisted for service in the Civil war, was shot in the Red River expedition, and died about one year later, his father caring for him until his death. David Trester was a member of the grand and petit juries, and was an auctioneer of some note, crying more sales in his county than any man of his day. He was a very highly esteemed citizen, and was popular in the community in which he resided for so many years.

After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Neiman settled on his fatherís home place, whence they removed to Washington township, where four years were spent. Mr. Neiman then bought twenty-nine and one-half acres, but later traded this property, and in 1884 located on his present farm of sixty acres, now one of the most fertile in Delaware township. Mr. Neiman is a good farmer and representative citizen, and has the respect and esteem of the entire community. To him and his wife have been born children as follows: Annie E., born March 3, 1871; Eva Jane, born July 8, 1873, married Newton Manship, of Noblesville, who conducts a feed store, and they have three children, Gladys, Oscar and Velma; William D., born Aug. 19, 1875, died aged twenty-one years; Benjamin F., born March 24, 1878, married Gertrude Farley, has one son, Crevor Carl, born Sept. 1 1905, and is a blacksmith on the home farm; Grace B. born Nov. 17 1770, Charles Roy, born Jan. 31, 1885; Mabel Clara, born July 15 1886, married Orville Hudson, an engineer in the employ of the Heat & Light Company, Indianapolis; and John David, born June 16, 1889.

Mr. and Mrs. Neiman are members of the Friends Church, in which he held the office of overseer for several years. In politics a Republican, he voted for Lincoln and for every Republican candidate for the Presidency since, and was supervisor in Center township for four years. He was a member of the G. A. R. at Fishers Switch until that Post disbanded.

ELLIOTT A. NELSON, one of the leading florists of Indianapolis, has had a career that well illustrates the value of persistent enterprise and tireless energy in this age. Although he had to start at the very foundation of his business in 1893, he has now ten houses, covering 34,000 feet of ground, his being by far the largest establishment of its kind in the city today. The business which he transacts compares very favorably with that of any other florist in the West.

Mr. Nelson is a native of Indianapolis, born Feb. 21, 1868, at the home of his parents on Madison avenue. James Nelson, his father, was born in Denmark, where his parents, Niels Christopher Frederickson and Susie Pierson, were farming people. James Nelson followed the custom of his native land and added the "son" to his fatherís given name, hence Nielson, or Nelson as it is now written. He learned flour-milling, and coming to Indianapolis in August, 1865, with a friend who had settled in the city, he found work in a mill on the canal, south of the town, called the Underhill Mill, at the end of the canal and half a square west of South Meridian street. He is at present with his son in the florist business, and has been ever since it was started. James Nelson has been twice married. His first wife, Christina Jacobsen, died nine months after their marriage, and in 1867 he married Marie Hansen. To this union have been born seven children: Elliott A.; Sena, who is at home; Thorena, wife of Edward Schoen, cigar and tobacco dealer of Indianapolis; Clara, Hutter, Walter and Albert, all at home. Mr. Nelson is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and Court of Honor.

Elliott A. Nelson began to learn his present business in 1888, with James Larson, whose reputation as a superior florist was well established, and with whom he served an apprenticeship of two years. He was engaged at the business for seven years before he started for himself. To a thorough knowledge of all branches of the floristís field Mr. Nelson adds an enthusiastic love for his work. His enterprise and energy have overcome all obstacles, and have brought him in a very brief period to the very front of his calling. It is a pleasure to visit his beautiful grounds and beautiful greenhouses, at Nos. 3503-07 North South avenue. It is hard to realize that so much can be accomplished in so short a time. Mr. Nelson has a very complete and general stock, making, however, at the present time, a specialty of roses and carnations.

Mr. Nelson married Miss Rose Green, daughter of Henry C. and Harkey (Lee) Green, natives of Indiana. Mr. Green was a school teacher, was a soldier in the Civil war, and died in December, 1903. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are members of the University Place Baptist Church. Mrs. Nelson is a woman of much worth and high character. She and her husband have many friends in the city, and their associates and patrons include some of the best people of Indianapolis.

LEWIS B. NELSON, buyer for three departments of the New York Store in Indianapolis, was born in New Lisbon, which is now Lisbon, Ohio, Feb. 14, 1846, son of George W. and Mary Ann (Davis) Nelson. Both the parents were natives of Virginia. The paternal grandfather was also born in that State, where he died. He reared a large family. His business was that of a tanner. Nathan Davis, the maternal grandfather, was also a native of Virginia, of Welsh origin. He died when an old man, in his native State.

George W. Nelson and his wife were the parents of three sons and three daughters, and three of their children are now living: Lewis B., Eva W. and Albion Clarence; the latter served as a soldier in the Philippine Islands. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and in his later manhood established himself as a merchant in New Lisbon, a town which largely owed its existence to his foresight and push. He died at that place in 1896, when eighty-seven years of age. His widow continued to make her home in Lisbon, Ohio. With her husband she belonged to the Methodist Church.

Lewis B. Nelson, whose name appears at the opening of this article, was reared in New Lisbon, where he attended the common schools. He also went to the Iron City College at Pittsburg. In 1863 he enlisted in Company K, 143d Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which command he served four months; he was then mustered in as a member of Company H, 195th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he continued until the closing of the war. He received his discharge at Alexandria, Va. He bore a gallant part at City Point and Weldon Railroad, and was under fire at Appomattox river and at the shelling of the pontoon bridge, which he helped to build. There were many skirmishes along the James river in which he had a hand. His last service was on detached duty to the quartermasterís department at brigade headquarters, from Charleston, Va., and Stevens Point, in the Shenandoah valley.

When discharged from the army Mr. Nelson returned to clerk for his father at New Lisbon, Ohio. In 1875 he left his fatherís store and came to Indianapolis, to take a place with the Buffalo Scale Works on East Washington street. Mr. Nelson entered the employ of the New York Store April 1, 1876, as clerk and buyer, a position he has held to the present time.

Mr. Nelson was married May 20, 1868, to Miss Saidie F., daughter of Benjamin and Frances Davidson. They have an adopted child, Verle Belle. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are members of, the Methodist Church, of which he is a trustee. He belongs to Major Robert Anderson Post, No. 369, G. A. R., and for several years was adjutant of his post. In political matters he is a Republican. His home is at No. 2022 East Tenth street.

RICHARD NEPTUNE, a farmer and capitalist of Thorntown, Boone county, had a varied career, and by his uniform success in widely different spheres of activity demonstrated both his versatility and his ability. He was born in Union county, Ind., near Liberty, Feb. 13, 1831, and was one of six children born to Amos and Hetha (Jeffreys) Neptune.

The paternal grandfather was Amos Neptune, of Scotch-Irish lineage, a native of Virginia, in which State he died. He served his country in the war of 1812. By his wife, who died young, he had two sons, and one daughter.

Amos Neptune (2) came to Indiana in the fall of 1830, and settled at first in Union county, where he cleared up two or three farms; later he moved into Franklin county, and was farming there at the time of his death in 1872 at the age of seventy-two. His wife, Hetha Jeffreys, a member of a Virginia family, died Feb. 5, 1866, at the age of three score years and ten. Both were ardent Methodists, and he was an officer in the church for many years. Of their four sons and two daughters none are now living.

Richard Neptune passed the first twelve years of his life in Union county, and attended the subscription schools there. Then the family moved to Franklin county, and he remained at home until he attained manhood. He then began for himself and spent a number of years in farming. His first venture was in renting land and working out by the month, and by such means he acquired sufficient means to buy land. In partnership with his brother-in-law, Moses DeCamp, he purchased 100 acres in Butler county, Ohio, but this interest he disposed of a year later. For the two years following he ran a threshing machine and farmed a rented piece of land, but at the end of that time he again bought property, and settled down on a place of his own. He had selected a location near Mt. Carmel, Ind., and beginning with eighty acres soon added another fifty. He remained there twelve years, but then sold out and in 1868 moved to Boone county and took up his residence in Thorntown. This was the period of his temporary abandonment of farming, and instead for a year or two he was engaged in a carriage business and then took up the manufacture of staves for several years. Soon after he started upon this latter enterprise, he also became interested in the banking line, and helped to organize the State Bank of Thorntown, of which he was president until 1903, having succeeded its first head, John Niven. On leaving the bank he again turned his attention to farming and afterward devoted his time to that. He had meantime acquired large farm holdings, and was the holder of 221 acres adjoining the town of Thorntown on the south and 255 acres in Sugar Creek township. On the former property was his residence, an elegant and completely equipped house, which he built in 1884, and the place is very highly improved in every detail. Mr. Neptune also owned city property in Indianapolis.

Mr. Neptune was married in his early manhood and had more than half a century of domestic life behind him. He was united in 1852 to Miss Rhoda DeCamp, and on June 3, 1902, they celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary. Mrs. Neptune was one of six children born to John and Margaret (Wilkinson) DeCamp, natives of Butler county, Ohio.

Her paternal grandfather, Ezekiel DeCamp, had a family of seventeen children. The motherís father was Gideon Wilkinson. To Richard and Rhoda Neptune were born three children: Martha, the only daughter and second child, is now Mrs. Howard; the older son, George, engaged in the stave business in Memphis, married Miss Ora Cones, and has six children, Carl, Richard, Joseph, Tyler, George and Mary; John, the third child, a farmer in Sugar Creek township, married Miss Nannie Moore, and is the father of William, Walter, Celine, Helen, Maurice, Catherine and Elizabeth. Mrs. Rhoda Neptune is a member of the Methodist Church which her husband also attended and helped liberally to support. Mr. Neptune was one of the young men who helped to make up the Republican party at the time of its organization, and was ever afterward a loyal party man. He was one of the substantial, conservative men who are the real strength of this country, and in his own region was held in the highest respect. His death occurred Feb. 16, 1907.

ELIJAH OGLE, a substantial farmer and representative citizen of Delaware county, Ind., residing on his valuable property of 105 1-2 acres, which is situated on the Granville turnpike, six miles from Muncie, and is known as the "Hufferd Farm," was born in Monroe township Delaware county, Ind., April 15, 1845, son of David and Nancy (Gibson) Ogle.

The Ogle family is of English extraction and came to Virginia in Colonial days. James and David Ogle, respectively, the grandfather and father of Elijah, was born in Virginia, the latter in 1801. His education was of the most meagre description, hut he was reared to agricultural pursuits, and in 1826 in order to secure a farm in the newly opened territory in Monroe township, Delaware county, Ind., he covered the distance on foot, and after reaching here he entered several hundred acres of land. On a tract of sixty acres in the woods, he built a log cabin, in which his first wife died. The children of the first marriage were Carrie, Hannah, Matilda and Elizabeth. His second marriage was in Delaware county to Mrs. Nancy (Gibson) West, a native of Ohio and a daughter of William and Diana Gibson.

William Gibson was a pioneer of Monroe township, where he cleared up a fine farm and became a substantial citizen, dying in old age. The Gibson children were: John, Lucinda, Martha, Valentine and Nancy. Nancy Gibson was reared on her fatherís farm and her first marriage was to Thomas West, a farmer of Monroe township, who left two children at death, William and Rachel.

David Ogle was a man who had many friends and was noted for his kindness and hospitality. At one time when the frost had killed most of the corn in the fields of his neighbors, and he owned a lot of old corn which with good business management he had stored for several years, it is related that he would sell none for money, but trusted all who desired it until they were able to pay. As another instance of his kindness it is told that he once bought a cow of a widow, and after the purchase he returned to the widow and gave her five dollars more than the price, saying that the animal was worth it. He was a consistent member of the U. B. Church. In politics he was first a Whig, later a Republican. His death occurred at the age of seventy-seven years, from the result of a railroad accident at Muncie in 1878.

Elijah Ogle was reared in the midst of pioneer surroundings and can recall many of the incidents of those days. He attended school at Macedonia, Monroe township, the building being constructed of round logs, with puncheon floor and with desks made of puncheons extending along under the windows, light being admitted through greased paper. Until he was fourteen years old he enjoyed about two months of schooling each winter, working upon the farm in summer.

Mr. Ogle is a veteran of the Civil war. He enlisted first at Muncie, Ind., in March, 1863, for 100 daysí service in an Indiana regiment. From this service he was honorably discharged at Indianapolis in June, 1863, his service having been in Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama. In the spring of 1865 he reenlisted as a private in Company B, 147th Reg., Ind. Vol. Inf., for one year or during the war, and seven months later was honorably discharged from the service at Harperís Ferry. He participated in a number of the severe marches which tried the strength of the soldiers in those days, including the thirty-day march from Charleston to Summit Point, Va., in full accoutrements, his knapsack alone weighing sixty pounds. On this march he contracted varicose veins, which the surgeons deem incurable, and also suffered an injury to his right eye. Mr. Ogle has a record of which he may be proud, having al ways been a self-respecting, loyal soldier and at all times was at his post of duty. After the close of the war he returned to Indiana.

On March 14, 1866, Mr. Ogle was married in Monroe township to Jane Dulcena Preston, born in Monroe township, Jan. 20, 1848, daughter of Phineas and Mary Booher (Kesling) Preston. Phineas Preston was born in Ohio in 1819, of an old English family, son of Reuben Preston, who died in Ohio. Phineas Preston was reared in Ohio, and in young manhood came to Delaware county, Ohio, where he married Mary Kesling, born in Tennessee, daughter of David and Frances (Booher) Kesling, both of whom died in Tennessee. The daughter, Mary, came to Delaware county, Ind., with her uncles, Martin and Daniel Kesling. Phineas Preston after marriage settled on a wild farm of forty acres in the midst of the woods, one acre of which had been cleared and a log cabin erected. This land he subsequently cleared, and increased to ninety-five acres. He was an industrious, hard-working man, a kind husband and a good neighbor. One of his sons, William, served for three years in the 10th Ind. Cav. His other children were: Mary, Delphina, Jane, Sarah Eliza, Artemisa, John A., and Harriet. Mrs. Preston survived to be almost eighty years of age, and she is remembered as a very energetic and capable woman. Both she and her husband were early members of the U. B. Church.

After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Ogle settled in Monroe township, Delaware county, he having inherited sixty acres from his fatherís estate, but this property he sold and located in Hamilton township, where he purchased sixty acres. This land they improved and lived thereon for twenty-one years, when they removed to the present 105-1/2 acre farm, on which they have resided to the present time. Their comfortable residence is a one and one-half story brick, and the surroundings are very attractive, as Mrs. Ogle with her many other estimable qualities is a great lover of flowers. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ogle are as follows: Marion; Frances, who died aged eighteen months; William, who died aged seven months; Millie Ann, born Sept. 11, 1870, who married Ira M. Johnsonbaugh, formerly of Hamilton, now of Delaware township, owning a farm near Albany, and has four children: Cleo E., Glen, Hazel and George. In politics Mr. Ogle is a Republican, and he cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, supporting this partyís candidates ever since. He is a valued member of Williams Post, G. A. R., of Muncie.

WILLIAM HENRY OVERBEY, who is carrying on agricultural operations on his sixty-acre tract at Fishers Switch, Hamilton county, is an esteemed resident of that locality and a survivor of the great Civil war. He was born in Delaware township, Hamilton county, Feb. 26, 1840, son of William H. and Rhoda C. (Williams) Overbey, and grandson of Henry Overbey, who, says tradition, was captured by the Indians and scalped, but escaped after being left for dead.

William Harrison Overbey was born near Maysville, Ky., and came as a young man to Indiana with his brothers, James and Beverly, entering land in Delaware township, Hamilton county, in 1834 the deed being signed by Andrew Jackson, as is also one bearing the date 1835. In addition to this tract, which consisted of eighty acres, he purchased land until he owned in all 195 acres, which originally was covered with heavy timber. Mr. Overbey built a small log cabin, and shortly thereafter married in Delaware township, Rhoda C. Williams, born in Bracken county, Ky., daughter of Abraham and Susan (West) Williams. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Overbey located on the farm, where he built a good frame residence, and here he was just beginning to enjoy the fruits of his hard labor, when in January, 1847, his death occurred, when in his thirty-sixth year. His wife died May 6, 1877, in the faith of the Baptist Church, of which he was also a member, and their children were: William Henry, John P. and Susan Mary.

William Henry Overbey was reared among the pioneers, and his education was secured in the early log schoolhouses of his native locality. He was employed in work on his fatherís farm at the time of his enlistment, Sept. 12, 1862, at Indianapolis, Ind., as a private of Company I, 26th Ind. V. I., Capt. Henry H. Wheatley, for three years or during the war, and was honorably discharged at Jackson, Miss., Sept. 6, 1865, his services having been in Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. He was a participant in the battles of Prairie Grove, Ark., Dec. 7, 1862, and several skirmishes in Kentucky; the sieges of Vicksburg, Miss., and Mobile, Ala.; and other skirmishes too numerous to mention. He was wounded in the calf of the leg at Prairie Grove, and was confined to the hospital for five months at Fayetteville, Ark., and Springfield, Mo. and convalescent in the hospital at New Orleans. On partial recovery he rejoined his regiment, although very lame. Always faithful and cheerful, Mr. Overbey was an excellent soldier, and with the exception of the time that he was in the hospital was with his regiment in every engagement, skirmish, march or foraging expedition.

After the war Mr. Overbey returned to Indiana, and, locating on the home farm built a hewed log cabin. On Nov. 19, 1867, in Delaware township, he was married to Annie Price, born in Bracken county, Ky., Oct. 19, 1844, daughter of James K. and Elizabeth (Baldwin) Price. James K. Price was born in Maryland, near Chesapeake Bay, Jan. 30, 1802, son of William arid Jemima (Williams) Price. James K. Price operated a farm in Kentucky, about forty miles from Cincinnati, Ohio, and was also a river man, making frequent trips in his boat to New Orleans. In 1854 he removed with his family to Marion county, and later to Hamilton county, Ind., where he died in October, 1875, his wife passing away in September, 1873. Their children were: Margaret, Jeremiah, Francis, Samuel, Zeralda, Eliza and Annie, all born and reared in Bracken county, Kentucky.

Mr. Overbey, after marriage, settled on the farm which his father had cleared from the timber, and there he resided until 1894, when he located on his present sixty-acre farm, although he still owns twenty-four acres of the old homestead. He is a member of the 0. A. R. at Fisherís Switch, and a Republican in politics. He and his wife are members of the Friends Church, of which he is a trustee. Mr. and Mrs. Overbey have had children as follows: (1) James married Belle Gresh, daughter of Henry Gresh, postmaster and merchant at Broad Ripple, and they have had children: Bernice, Imo, Ruth, Dorothy, Denzel and James. (2) Zerelda married Charles Roberts, an iron moulder of Madison county, and had five children: Grace, Hugh and Herbert (twins), Virgil and Charlotte. (3) Francis Eugene married Pearl Eskew, daughter of Alexandria Eskew, a farmer of Marion county, and has children: Neva, Francis and Lillian. (4) Elizabeth Maude married John W. Tate, son of Alexandria Tate, a farmer of Marion county, and has three children: Henrv E., Ferold W. and Clifford C. (5) Beatrix A. C. married Dr. Vinton G. Black, son of George H. Black, a farmer of Hamilton county, and has two children, Victor and Junius 0. (6) Carl H., a veteran of the Spanish-American war, is a carpenter and still resides at home unmarried.