FREDERICK C. SANDERS. No nation has contributed to the complex makeup of the American social fabric a more valuable element than has the great empire of Germany, from which much of our best citizenship has been recruited. The subject of this review is a native of Germany and is known and honored as a pioneer citizen of Indiana's capital, with whose development and material progress he has been intimately identified.

Mr. Sanders was born in the Province of Hanover, Germany, May 29, 1832, son of Christian and Charlotte (Dipka) Sanders, both natives of that same Province, where they passed their entire lives, being people of sterling character and representative of fine old German stock. Christian Sanders was reared on a farm, and to agriculture he gave his allegiance throughout his entire life, becoming the owner of a fine estate, and being one of the most prominent and influential farmers in his locality. He was never active in public affairs, but was progressive and energetic, and was a man who commanded uniform confidence and esteem, and whose generosity and kindliness were proverbial. He was for many years an elder in the Lutheran Church, and in his home community was accorded many appreciative marks of public confidence and regard. He died on his old homestead, about 1850, his wife surviving him a number of years and passing away at the age of seventy. He was one of five children, all of whom passed their lives in the Fatherland, namely: Louis, Henry, Christian (father of our subject), Lizzie and Sophia. The mother of our subject was one of four children, being the youngest, and the others were Louis, Fred and Caroline. Christian and Charlotte (Dipka) Sanders became the parents of four children, namely: Henry inherited the old homestead, where he still lives; William, now a resident of Fort Wayne, Ind., came to America with our subject; Sophia became Mrs. Stopenhagen; and Frederick C. is the immediate subject of this review.

In the excellent schools of his native Province Frederick C. Sanders received his early education, and he remained on the homestead farm, assisting in its cultivation, until he had reached the age of seventeen, when, in 1849, in company with his brother William, he emigrated to America, landing in Baltimore, from which city the brothers proceeded by canal and by conveyance over the mountains to Pittsburg, Pa., and thence by steamboat down the Ohio river to Cincinnati, where they again embarked on a canal boat, which afforded them transportation to Fort Wayne, Ind. They had been detained seven weeks in Cincinnati, owing to a break in the banks of the canal, which thus lost its requisite supply of water. At that time cholera was raging in the city, and the brothers were compelled to remain on the canal boat during the time of their detention. Shortly after his arrival in Fort Wayne Mr. Sanders found employment in general work about the home of a local banker, receiving $5 per month and board in compensation for his services. He was thus employed for eight months, after which he passed six months in the employ of the owner of a general store, and later he secured a position as stable boy in connection with a hotel, in which connection he had his initial experience with the aboriginies, having a rather exciting encounter with a party of Wabash Indians, and being at the time able to understand neither their dialect nor the English language. In 1851 Mr. Sanders became a driver on the Wabash canal, and in the fall of that year he came to Indianapolis, where he secured a position in a livery stable, receiving $12 per month and his board. After fourteen months he secured an advance of a dollar in wages by becoming omnibus driver for General Elliott, and with this line of work he was identified until the time of his marriage, in 1854, when he purchased a team, with which he engaged in street sprinkling for a time, and later was employed as helper in the Washington foundry, at $7 per week, thus continuing for about a year, when he became incapacitated for work through an attack of jaundice, from which the various physicians were unable to relieve him, though he resorted to one after another. A cure was finally effected through a simple home remedy given him by an old German lady. Before recovering his health

Mr. Sanders found his ready money exhausted, and he took employment as helper in the blacksmith shops of the Bee Line Railroad, and here he learned the trade and became a good workman, remaining employed as a blacksmith in the shops until 1863, having received $3 per day for a term of several years and having so economized as to save a goodly portion of his earnings. In the year mentioned he resigned and engaged in business on his own responsibility, purchasing four acres of land, for $1,600, and there taking up the manufacture of brick. Later on he purchased an additional three acres, and when, after a number of years, the clay was exhausted on the seven acres, he bought 30 acres farther out from the city and there moved his plant. There he continued the manufacture of brick for many years, haying been continuously identified with this line of enterprise for nearly a half century, and having been successful by reason of his energy, close application and good management. He retained possession of his seven-acre tract, which was outside the corporate limits of the city at the time of purchase, but eventually the city extended even beyond this locality, and he platted the tract as an addition and disposed of a number of lots at profitable figures. He still owns the thirty-acre tract, which is now devoted to farming. On his seven-acre tract he erected a commodious brick residence and this still continues to be the family home, the same being located on Prospect street. Mr. Sanders has erected a number of other substantial buildings for business and residence purposes, and is the owner of valuable realty in the city, having thus contributed a due quota to the advancement of the interests of the capital and to its substantial upbuilding, while he has ever maintained a lively interest in all that touches the welfare of the city of whose magnificent development he has been a witness. After years of earnest toil and endeavor, having accumulated a competency, Mr. Sanders retired from active business in 1894, since which time he has devoted his attention to the supervision of his various properties and financial interests. He is known and honored as a man of impeachable integrity, and has ever retained the confidence and good will of the community. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, but has never aspired to public office. He was loyal to the Union during the Civil war, being so situated that he could not go to the front in person but sending a substitute at his own expense. He clings to the faith in which he was reared, and is one of the honored members of the Lutheran Church, having been a regular attendant of old Zion Church, on West Ohio street, ever since locating in Indianapolis he was one of the prime movers in the establishment of the German Orphans’ Home, and contributed liberally to the fund by which this noble institution was supplied.

In 1854 Mr. Sanders married Miss Alice Myer, who was born in Minden, Prussia, April 8, 1834, daughter of Carl and Dora (Fay) Myer, who emigrated thence to America in 1851, landing in New Orleans, thence coming to Indianapolis, where he purchased ten acres of land and engaged in gardening, in which he continued until 1870. In that year he retired, and his death occurred two years later, while his wife survived him by about eight years. Their children were as follows: Charles, a resident of Minnesota; Alice; Crist, who died in 1899; and Louisa, the wife of William Nagle, an engineer. The parents and children all held membership in the Lutheran Church. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Sanders has been blessed with seven children, namely: Ella, Mrs. F. Weilburg; Charles and John, who are successful business men of Indianapolis; Henry, a dairyman; Nannie, Mrs. Galt; Bertha, Mrs. F. Gates; and Fred, still at home, who served as a member of the Indianapolis Battery, in Puerto Rico, during the Spanish-American war.

CHARLES T. SANSBERRY, prominent among the younger generation of successful business men of Madison county, is actively engaged in the practice of law in Anderson, where he was born March 22, 1874, son of James W. and Margaret (Moore) Sansberry.

Mr. Sansberry comes of French Huguenot stock of South Carolina, where his grandfather, James Sansberry, was born. The latter was a pioneer of Ripley county, Ohio, where he died aged seventy years. James W. Sansberry father of Charles T., was born Sept. 28, 1824, in Ripley county, Ohio, and came to Indiana when a child of six or seven years, with his uncle, Daniel Sherry, a pioneer of Delaware county, Ohio. In this State he was reared and educated and he became a school teacher, teaching in Muncietown, Delaware county, Ind., as Muncie was then called. He was also engaged in teaching. in Anderson during the winter of 1850-51, when that now flourishing city was a small village. While teaching school in Muncie, Mr. Sansberry began the study of law, and he began practice in Anderson in about 1854. He soon established a large and profitable law practice, becoming noted as a criminal lawyer, and was a prominent figure in all cases of importance then in the courts. He was a strong Jeffersonian Democrat, taking an active interest in the success of his party. He was one of the early members of the Masonic fraternity at Anderson.

James W. Sansberry was twice married, first to Mary Jones, born in Anderson, by whom he had two children, James W. and Anna Laura, the latter of whom married Isaac E. May, of Anderson. Mr. Sansberry’s first wife died, and in Wayne county, Ind., he married Margaret Moore, born in Wayne county, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Boone) Moore. Sarah Boone was born in Kentucky, a niece of the great pioneer explorer, Daniel Boone. Samuel Moore was born in about 1815, in Wayne county, six miles south of Richmond, on a farm. His father was a Quaker, and was one of the original pioneers of Wayne county. Samuel Moore was a well known citizen, and owned a fine farm of 200 or 300 acres, and like his parents was a Quaker. He and his wife were the parents of these children: Margaret, Kate, Jane, Thomas, Alice and Minnie. Samuel Moore died in November, 1892. James W. Sansberry died Dec. 6, 1901, well known throughout Central Indiana, and one of the most prominent lawyers of his day.

Charles T. Sansberry received his preliminary education in the public schools of Anderson, including the high school. He then attended the Michigan Military Academy at Orchard Lake, and Wabash College at Crawfordsville, and graduated from the Indiana Law School in 1898. Mr. Sansberry immediately began the practice of his profession in Anderson, and established a good legal business. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, and has taken an active part in the politics of his section, especially in national campaigns, being well known as a stump speaker. Fraternally he is a member of the Elks at Anderson.

Mr. Sansberry was married in March, 1895, in Crawfordsville, to Maud V. Mahorney, born in Crawfordsville, daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth (Epperson) Mahorney. The Eppersons are of old Virginia Colonial stock, and pioneers of Madison and Crawfordsville, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Sansberry have had one child, James C., born June 1, 1896, in Anderson.

GEORGE A. TAFFE, former superintendent of the Indianapolis police, and a man whose personal character, integrity and masterful ability are widely known and recognized, was born in Brightwood, Center township, Marion Co., Ind., April 17, 1846, son of Hannibal and Phoebe Ann (Cale) Taffe. The father was born in Indiana and the mother in Virginia.

George Taffe, grandfather of George A., was an early settler in Marion county and owned land in Brightwood, where he made his home until his death, which occurred in middle life. A large family was born to him, and he was prominent in the community. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The maternal grandfather of George A. Taffe was born in Virginia. During his early life he was held three years in Indian captivity, and then escaped. He died many years ago.

Hannibal Taffe was a farmer when a young man in Center township, and for a period of eighteen years, terminating in 1876, served on the police force of Indianapolis. For a time he was a member of the Merchant Police, and for nine years was train caller at the Union Passenger Station. He died in 1894, at the age of seventy-two years, his wife passing away many years before. In politics he was a Republican. His brother, John Taffe, also a Republican, was a member of Congress from Nebraska. Of the four children of Hannibal and Phoebe Ann (Cale) Taffe Emma is the wife of Dr. C. L. Armington, of Anderson, Ind.; George A. is mentioned below; Florence is the wife of Perkins Fisher, of New York; David Fremont was killed in the work of the fire department.

George A. Taffe lived in the neighborhood of Brightwood until he was fifteen years of age, since which time he has had his home in Indianapolis, with the exception of two years he spent at Bloomington, Ill. His education was secured in the city schools, and he followed various occupations as he grew to manhood. When a boy he branded horses for the government, and later was a street car conductor. Mr. Taffe lost his leg Dec. 20, 1865, while saving the life of a little boy, a train of flat cars having run into his car. For one term he was a teacher in Cumberland, and for two years bought grain for his uncle. Mr. Taffe came back to Indianapolis June 3, 1871, to take the position of turnkey at the old station house, which he held until May, 1875. At that time he resigned, becoming deputy city marshal under Eli Thompson. In 1878 he resumed his place as turnkey, again serving the city in that capacity until Nov. 15, 1901, when he was made superintendent of police by the Board of Public Safety. In all he held the position of turnkey almost thirty years, and he is thoroughly familiar with every detail of the police administration of Indianapolis.

Mr. Taffe was married June 22, 1880, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Henry and Eva (Miller) Hanf. To this union were born two children, Eva Florence and David Almont. Mr. Taffe is a member of the Red Men. In politics he is a Republican. His neat and tasteful home is at No. 419 East Market street.

HON. CALEB B. TARLTON. Nothing in all the world evokes so much admiration and enthusiasm as a man who has reached the full zenith of an able and successful political career, unstained by questionable dealings. Such a leader, of undoubted integrity, of talents far beyond his fellows, stands, as it were, the admired of all admirers. To attain to such a position in a country of democratic customs, bespeaks a surpassing ability, a knowledge of men and things, and that rare faculty of winning the confidence and love of the public at large, without which no man can aspire to become the chosen one, who shall lead and mold the thought of his constituency.

In this order of genius, Caleb B. Tarlton of Franklin, Johnson county, Ind., fills a unique and brilliant place. He was born in Fayette county, Ky., May 27, 1827, his parents being Merritt and Catherine (Hutchinson) Tarlton, both natives of the same State. He had four brothers and six sisters, of whom five are now living: John, of Hendricks county; Miss Catherine, who lives at home; James, of Indianapolis; William, of Greenwood; and Susan, widow of Capt. Wightman, a soldier in the war of the Rebellion.

Merritt Tarlton was a successful stock man and farmer, and came to Indianapolis in the year 1833, where he bought a fine farm of 160 acres, about eight miles south of Indianapolis. This he improved, clearing it of the heavy timber, and here he lived until his death, which occurred in the year 1877, at the age of seventy-seven years. His wife survived him until 1885, her death occurring that year at the advanced age of eighty-five years. Both were influential members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he was throughout his life an ardent Democrat.

The paternal grandfather of the Hon. Mr. Tarlton, also bore the name of Caleb, and was born at Hagerstown, Md. He married Nancy Bean and removed to Scott county, Ky., in 1806, buying a farm adjoining that of his brother Jeremiah, about three miles east of Georgetown, and one mile from Johnson’s Mill. In 1809 he sold that tract, and bought 160 acres in Fayette, where he built a home which is now owned by his grand-daughter Ella Nichols. Some two years later he purchased additional land, and died there in the year 1841, at an honored old age. His wife followed him two years later. He was a grand old man, and held up as a model by later generations in his family. Twelve children were born to him, his youngest child Jackson being a soldier in the war of 1812.

A recent competent authority states that the Tarlton family is of Saxon origin and takes its name from Tarlton parish, Lancashire, England. The early home of the Tarltons was near Liverpool, and the eldest sons in the family were heirs to landed estates, and were living there until recent times. There were also other members of the family living in other parts of England, and also in London, prior to the year 1600, which shows that the Tarlton family is one of excellent ancestry and descendants of nobility.

Sir Banistee Tarlton, a son of John Tarlton, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1754, and at the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he left the study of law, in which he had become deeply interested, and purchased a cornetcy of dragoons, and in December, 1776, commanded the advanced guard of the patrol which captured General Lee in New Jersey. He also served with Howe and Clinton in the campaigns of 1777 and 1778. After the evacuation of Philadelphia, he commanded as Lieutenant-Colonel, a cavalry corps of regulars and Tories, called the British Legion. This corps was constantly rendering important service to Lord Cornwallis in the South, until he and Tarlton surrendered at Yorktown.

The maternal grandfather of Senator Tarlton was Archibald Hutchinson, a native of Scott county, Ky., where he died at an old age, leaving a large family. He was successful and widely known as a hotel keeper, being familiarly called "Captain" Hutchinson.

Senator Tarlton was only six years of age when his parents moved to Indiana, and he was raised upon his father’s farm in Franklin township, Marion county. He received his early education in the old fashioned subscription schools of that day, and remained at home until reaching his maturity, when he began his life-work by renting land for one year.

On Nov. 13, 1849, he was joined in wedlock to Evelyn M. West, a daughter of Marine and Sophia (DuVall) West. He began his early married life by running her father’s farm in Pleasant township, Johnson county. This farm Mr. Tarlton now owns, and it is situated about two and a half miles east of Greenwood, originally containing 225 acres, to which he has subsequently added fifty acres, so that it now contains 275 acres of highly productive and valuable land. He and his wife resided there for about twenty-five years, and then moved to his present home, just east of the corporate limits of Franklin, in order to get the benefit of the excellent educational facilities offered by Franklin college, for their children. He has a beautiful home and about twenty acres of land in this place, and takes great pride in keeping it in excellent condition and entertaining his many friends there.

Seven children were born of this union, six sons and one daughter, John H., Merritt William, Eva, James A., Charles W., George and Caleb, the last named dying in infancy. All of the six survivors are now doing excellently in their varied walks of life. John H. is cashier in the Citizens’ National Bank in Franklin, and bears the title of Major, having served in the Spanish-American war as captain of a company at Chickamauga, and was afterward promoted to the rank of Major; he married Jessie Gibson, and has two children, Marcia and Charlotte. Merritt W. married Mary Bell, and they reside in Greenwood. Eva married Hervey McCaslin, and lives in Franklin, having one child, Ethel P., now the wife of Edward Bailey. James A. is with L. L. Ayers in the dry goods business in Indianapolis; he married Jeanie Needham. Charles W. is a carriage trimmer in Franklin, married Elizabeth Funk, and has one child, Caleb B. George was an invalid, and lived at home, until his death, March 9, 1906.

Senator Tarlton’s wife died Dec. 19, 1898, at the age of seventy-four years. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Franklin, and was greatly beloved by all who knew her. Senator Tarlton is a member of the same church. He has been, since the year 1855, a Master Mason. In political affiliations he has always ably supported the Democratic party, being elected as joint representative of Johnson and Morgan counties in the year 1870, and serving in the Lower House of the Indiana Legislature one term. Six years later he was elected to represent Shelby and Johnson counties, and served for four years. In addition to his successful career as an agriculturist and stock raiser, he has been exceedingly active in the political world. Throughout his career he has maintained the highest standard of honesty and integrity, and it has been said of him: "He is quiet and dignified in bearing, and is one of those men upon whom it can be depended that they mean just what they say, and will perform what they promise." He has been a resident of Johnson county since the year 1849 and in 1857 was elected president of the Johnson county Agricultural Society, which office he held for some eight or ten years.

Now, in the beginning of his journey toward the setting sun, the golden gleams of that luminous orb seem to have surrounded his head as in a halo of light and benediction, after his long life of usefulness in both public and private life. Of unassailable honesty and integrity throughout his strenuous career, Johnson county may well point with pride to him, and counsel the rising generation to emulate such qualities and a life of such completeness and success.

C. A. B. VAN ARSDALE, a retired farmer and prominent citizen of Whiteland, Ind., who passed away Feb. 6, 1907, was born in Mercer county, Ky.; Oct. 3, 1823, son of Simon and Catharine (Whiteneck) Van Arsdale, natives of Mercer county, Kentucky.

Cornelius A. B. Van Arsdale, the paternal grandfather, after whom Mr. C. A. B. Van Arsdale is named, was a native of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent, and by occupation a farmer. During the early history of Kentucky, he removed to that State and was one of its pioneers, locating in Mercer county, and there he married and lived until his death, which took place when he was between seventy and eighty years of age. Of his large family, none is now living.

Henry Whiteneck, father of Mrs. Catharine (Whiteneck) Van Arsdale, was a native of New Jersey, of Holland Dutch descent, and a pioneer of Mercer county, Ky. After locating in his new home, he made a trip back to New Jersey on horseback. By occupation he was a farmer. He died in Kentucky at the age of eighty-two. He was twice married and had a large family.

Simon Van Arsdale was a farmer who came to Indiana from Mercer county in 1827, entering land in Franklin township, Johnson county, clearing up a farm of 160 acres, from the dense woods which covered it. This property was government land, and the patent was signed by President Jackson. Mr. Van Arsdale lived on this farm until his death, in 1882, when he was within a month and ten days of being eighty-three years of age. His wife died in 1875, aged seventy-one years. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church, and charter members of the Hopewell Church. Twelve children were born to them, seven sons and five daughters.

Mr. C. A. B. Van Arsdale was four years old when brought by his parents to Indiana, and he resided in Johnson county for eighty years. Like so many boys of that period, he was brought up upon his father’s farm working on it during the summer months, and during the winter attending the old-fashioned subscription schools, held in log houses, with split rails for seats, an open fireplace at one end, and entirely lacking any of the conveniences and appliances of the schools of today. Still, in these primitive schools, the boys and girls of those faraway days learned thoroughly what was taught them, and appreciated to the utmost their educational advantages, poor as they might be. Mr. Van Arsdale remained at home until he was twenty-two years old, when he rented a farm for a year, but at the end of that time, he purchased eighty acres in Pleasant township. After cultivating and improving it for three years, he sold the farm and purchased seventy-one acres in Franklin township. Later he sold this farm and purchased Lack his first farm, paying double for it what he did originally, and here he resided for seven years. He then sold it for $3,500 cash, making a profit of $1,300 in addition to what he had made from his crops. His next purchase was the Sebern farm of eighty-two acres, in Pleasant township, to which he added forty acres and later twelve more acres, and he lived there from September, 1864 to October, 1884, when he divided his property among his four children, then living, and removed into Whiteland, where he built a comfortable home in which he and his estimable wife resided, retired from active business life, until separated by his death in 1907.

On Nov. 25, 1847, Mr. Van Arsdale married Miss Nancy Jane Clem, daughter of Isaac and Nancy (Shepperd) Clem. Five children were born of this union, three girls and two boys: (1) Nancy C. married George L. Brunnemer of Whiteland, and has three children, Albert T., Ammie Jane and William Jasper. (2) Margaret Jane married James L. Henderson, now deceased, had three children, Newton Gilbert, Stella Jane and Elmer Thomas, and married (second) Peter G. Covert, of Union township. (3) William D. married Cynthia Arams, and had five children, three of whom are now living, Gustavus, Edward and Charles T. After her death he married Mrs. Jennie Hildebrand, and they reside in Pendleton, where he owns a good farm, and is also in the employ of the gas company. His wife has two daughters by her former marriage — Mollie and Essie Hildebrand. (4) Sarah Ellen married James Richard Powell, and died the mother of two sons, Chauncy Jackson and Cornelius. (5) Samuel Edward, a farmer in Pleasant township, married Miss Mary Van Arsdale, of Mercer county, Ky., and has two children, Harry B. and Alice Jane. Mrs. C. A. B. Van Arsdale is a member of the Presbyterian Church, to which her late husband also belonged. During the late Civil war Mr. Van Arsdale belonged to the Home Guards. In politics he was a stanch Republican, and took an interest in public affairs, both national and local. During a long and useful life, Mr. Van Arsdale did whatever duty lay to his hand, and gained the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens, as well as the love and veneration of his family.

The parents of Mrs. Van Arsdale were natives of Kentucky, but moved to Johnson county, Ind., in 1833, when she was but two years of age. Upon locating in Indiana, Mr. Clem entered government land in Pleasant township, and there resided until his death, which occurred in 1881, when he was nearly ninety years of age. His first wife died in 1847, aged fifty-six years. Mr. Clem served in the War of 1812, and during the many years of his long and eventful life, saw wonderful changes in government as well as in the country itself. He and his first wife had six sons and six daughters, nine of whom grew to maturity, but only three are now living: Willis R., of Miami county; Louisa Ellen, widow of Robert Smith; and Nancy J., widow of Mr. Van Arsdale. Mr. and Mrs. Clem were members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Clem’s second marriage was with Mrs. Annice Thorp, now deceased, and they had two daughters, who are living: Emily, wife of George McKinney; and Fannie wife of Isaac Suttles. Isaac Clem was a son of Philip Clem, a native of Virginia and a soldier in the Revolutionary war, who married Phoebe Miller. Mrs. Van Arsdale's maternal grandfather was William Shepperd, a native of Kentucky, where he died; his wife was a native of Holland, and did not learn to talk English until after she was married and the mother of three children.