LIEUT. JONATHAN W. ZEUBLIN, one of the highly esteemed residents of Pendleton, Ind., and one of the survivors of the great Civil war, in which he served as an officer, was born Sept. 24, 1838, in Chester county, Pa., and is a member of an old and honored family.

The name Zeublin, which, although the family lived for many years in Switzerland, is supposed to be of German origin, was originally spelled Zublin.

John Zublin, the great-grandfather of Jonathan W., and the founder of the family in America, came here prior to the American Revolution. His children were: Aaron, David, Jacob, John and Susan, and perhaps others.

John Zeublin, son of John, was born in Bucks county, Pa., April I, 1774. He lived in Chester county, Pa., where he was a wheelwright and made spinning wheels, but in later life engaged in agricultural pursuits in East Nantmel township, Chester county, ten miles from Downingtown. He was a fruit grower and substantial citizen. Twice married, one child was born to his first uion, Mary, who married Robert Porter, a clothier of Philadelphia, who finally settled in Portsmouth Ohio. His second wife was Elizabeth Himes, who was born in Pennsylvania, July 25, 1777, and she was the mother of: (1) Judith, born Dec. 10, 1811, in East Nantmel township, married, Sept. 25, 1832, Miles Todd, who was born Jan. 11, 1810, in West Nantmel township. In early life he was a druggist in Philadelphia. He bought a drug store of the famous Dr. Thomson, the founder of the Thomsonian system of medicine. Later he became a local Methodist minister, and was licensed to preach by Bishop Levi Scott, in Goshen, Ind. Coming to Indiana and settling at Pendleton; May I, 1852, he bought property on which he lived until his death at the age of ninety-three years, July 14, 1893. He was one of the prominent members of the Methodist Church at Pendleton. To Mr. and Mrs. Todd were born: Elizabeth, born July 1, 1833 (died May 27, 1839) ; John M., July 26, 1834; Nathaniel, March 4, 1836 (died May 7, 1836; Isaac N., March 4, 1837 (died May 14, 1860); Mary J., Nov. 24, 1838 (died in June, 1903); and Margaret B., Feb. 4, 1841. (2) Isaac Newton, born Nov. 25, 1812, is mentioned below. (3) John Milton was born April 8, 1813. (4) David was born Dec. 25, 1815. John Zeublin, the father of this family, died on his farm in his seventies, and his wife lived to be about the same age, both dying on the farm and being buried in the Vincent cemetery, in East Nantmel township. They were close communion Baptists, and he was an excellent musician and played in the church. He was an accomplished German scholar, and a man respected and esteemed by all.

Isaac Newton Zeublin, father of Lieutenant Jonathan W., was born in Chester county, Pa., and in 1851 removed to Madison county, Ind., the journey being made by rail to Johnstown, Pa., thence by canal to Pittsburg, and by steamboat down the Ohio river to Madison, Ind., and then by railroad to Indianapolis, Ind., and from there, also by railroad, to Pendleton, Ind., where the family arrived Oct. 1, 1851. Jonathan Wynn, Mr. Zeublinís father-in-law, was at this time living about two miles east of Pendleton, and Mr. Zeublin made his home with him for a time, the same fall making a journey to Illinois. He returned that winter, however, and engaged in a mercantile business in Pendleton. Then becoming station agent for the "Bee Line," now the Big Four, at Pendleton, he continued thus for many years, at the time of his resignation being the oldest agent on the road. After leaving the employ of the railroad he engaged in land speculation and other enterprises, accumulating considerable property, including several farms and other real estate, but in his later years met with business reverses. In politics he was an old-line Whig, a Republican later, and always a stanch Union man. Both of his sons were soldiers in the Civil war. Mr. Zeublin and his wife were Methodists, he being one of the most prominent members of the church at Pendleton; class leader, superintendent of the Sunday-school, a pillar of the church and liberal in his support thereof.

Isaac N. Zeublin was married to Rachel Ann Wynn, daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Wynn) Wynn, members of old Quaker families, founded in the Colonies at the time of the coming of William Penn. To this union there were born children as follows: (1) Jonathan W. is mentioned below. (2) Mary E. was born July 29, 1840. (3) John Evans, born Oct. 2, 1842, was a soldier in the Civil war, connected with the Department of the East, in the telegraphers department, being in the Virginia campaign, and after the war served as telegrapher at Washington and Baltimore. He was killed in stepping from a railroad tram July 26, 1900, at Bucyrus, Ohio. The father of these children died April 19, 1885, aged seventy-two years.

Jonathan Wynn, the father of Mrs. Isaac N. Zeublin, was a blacksmith and farmer and located in Indiana as a pioneer about 1840, settling on purchased land near Pendleton. He assisted to build and was a part owner of a flouring mill at Huntsville, Ind., as well as an oil mill. He was a local minister in the Methodist Church, preaching to the pioneers throughout his section of the county, and having a license to perform marriage ceremonies both in Pennsylvania and Indiana. He was a substantial citizen and a man of great determination. His old family Bible is yet preserved and is in the possession of Lieut. Zeublin. This interesting volume is nearly eighteen inches long, bound in calf skin, was printed in New York in 1822, the type is still clear and legible and the book is in a good state of preservation. Jonathan Wynnís children were as follows: Rachel Ann, Susan Jane, Thomas, Elizabeth Mary and John Evans. Mr. Wynn died in Illinois, while on a visit to his relatives in that State. Mr. Wynn lived on the old homestead, in Chester county, Pa., and it was on this historic farm that Lieut. Zeublin was born. This farm remained in the name of Jonathan Wynn from the date of entry from the Government until sold by the grandfather of Lieutenant Zeublin every exchange of title being to a Jonathan Wynn.

Jonathan W. Zeublin received a common school education in Chester county, Pa., and in the Pottstown public school, his father being a resident of the latter place for several years. He also attended the Methodist College at Fort Wayne, Ind., for several years, graduating therefrom at the age of twenty-two years. He was between twelve and thirteen years of age when he accompanied his parents to Indiana, and his boyhood was spent much as that of any pioneer farmerís boy, he also working in the warehouse with his father.

Mr. Zeublin enlisted Aug. 8, 1862, in Pendleton, as a private in Company B, 89th Ind. V. I., to serve three years or during the war, and served until his resignation at Memphis, Tenn., March. 29, 1863, having been disabled in the right hand in the line of duty. On the organization of his company he was elected orderly sergeant, and for meritorious services was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant. He was at the battle of Munfordville, Ky., Sept. 14 and 16, 1862, with the Army of the Tennessee, and was captured there, being paroled the same day. Lieut. Zeublin was home on furlough for three weeks, and was then at Camp Morton for two months, having been exchanged at this place, and sent with his company and regiment to Memphis, Tenn. Here he was taken sick with bone erysipelas, which resulted in the total disability of his right hand and he was near death. He was a brave and faithful soldier and a capable officer.

After returning to Pendleton Lieut. Zeublin became engaged in business with his father, but after his marriage, he engaged in the grain business until 1868, when he embarked in a mercantile line in Pendleton, which he gave up to become a farmer. He purchased 130 acres of land adjoining Pendleton, and now owns 160 acres in the same section. His substantial brick residence standing on an eminence overlooking Fall Creek, one of the most attractive localities of the section, is in full view of the Union traction trains and the New York Central railroad. Mr. and Mrs. Zeublin are both members of the Methodist Church, and in politics he is a stanch Republican. He is a member of the G. A. R., of Pendleton, belonging to Major Henry Post, No. 230, and has filled the office of commander three times. He is also a member of the I. 0. 0. F., Pendleton Lodge, No. 88, and has passed all the chairs in that lodge including that of Noble Grand; Sinai Encampment, No. 54: Daughters of Rebekah, No. 1 30; Canton Indianapolis, No. 42, I. 0. 0. F.; and he is permanent secretary of the 89th Indiana Regimental Association.

On Nov. 29, 1864, Lieut. Jonathan W. Zeublin was married in Lafayette, Ind., to Marietta Reed, born Dec. 14, 1840, in Tippecanoe county, Ind., on the Wabash river, six miles below Lafayette, who was a daughter of James and Rachel (Pontius) Reed, the former born Jan. 5, 1809, and died in Lafayette, Ind., April 13, 1865, and the latter born Nov. 17, 1815, died May 16, 1847, in Tippecanoe county, Ind. On Sept. 19, 1833, James Reed married Rachel Pontius, in Ohio, and shortly after their marriage they moved to Tippecanoe county. She was the daughter of Frederick and Catherine (Reedy) Pontius, the latter of whom was the daughter of John Francis Giltner, who married Catherine Webber; daughter of Wolfort Webber, third in descent from King William IV, of Holland. Mr. Reed cleared a farm in Tippecanoe county, and added to his land from time to time until he was the possessor of 1,400 acres. He and his wife were devout members of the Methodist Church in which he was a class leader and was superintendent of the Sunday-school. He was one of the founders of the Sand Ridge Methodist Church and his house was often the home of the itinerant Methodist circuit rider. In political matters he was an old-line Whig, and fraternally he was connected with the I. 0. 0. F. at Lafayette, Ind. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Reed were: Milton, Easter Jane, Sarah Jane, Marietta and Eliza Miranda. After the death of his first wife Mr. Reed married (second) in Groveport, near Columbus, Ohio, Sarah B. Bunn, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Pontius) Bunn, second cousin of Mr. Reedís first wife. The following children were born to the second marriage: William, who died in infancy; Emma Josephine, who died aged about twenty-four years; Frank J., the traveling passenger agent of the Monon Railroad; and Clara B.

To Lieut. Jonathan W. and Marietta Zeublin were born two children as follows: Nellie R., born Oct. 1, 1865, died Sept. 6, 1867; Emma Lyle, born Sept. 26, 1869, married June 21, 1890, in Pendleton, Ind., William E. Morris, cashier of the Pendleton Banking Company, and they have one child, Mildred, born June 28, 1903. Lieutenant Zeublin is highly esteemed in Pendleton, not only as an honored veteran of the Civil war, but as a straightforward business man, and an honorable public-spirited citizen. He and his wife have a wide social connection in the city.

DANIEL YANDES belonged to that class of men who naturally become pioneers. He was born in Fayette county, Pa., in January, 1793, when it was yet a new country with fertile soil, and a hilly but beautiful surface, underlaid with coal. He was the son of Simon Yandes, whose wife before marriage was Anna Catherine Rider ó both natives of Germany. His parents lived upon a farm near the Monongahela river west of Uniontown. They had two sons, Daniel and Simon, who received only the limited education usual at that time. Both of the sons worked on the farm. They enlisted in the year 1813 under General Harrison, in the last war with Great Britain, and served six months in northern Ohio, but were not engaged in battle. The father of Gov. Albert G. Porter enlisted in the same company. In 1814, when the city of Washington was first threatened by the British, they again enlisted, and Daniel Yandes at the age of twenty-one was elected major of the regiment. Before leaving the place of rendezvous the order to march was countermanded, and the troops were not again ordered out. In 1815 occurred the most fortunate event of his life, and that was his marriage to Anna Wilson, the oldest daughter of James Wilson and his wife, Mary Rabb. James Wilson was a leading farmer and magistrate of the county. The Wilsons were Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, and the Rabbs Scotch-English Presbyterians, and Anna Wilson was a Presbyterian. Her educational advantages were but moderate as compared with those at present. James Wilsonís father, Alexander Wilson, was born in 1727, and removed from Lancaster county, Pa., to Fayette county, where he died in 1815.

After the marriage of Daniel Yandes he acquired a mill and opened a coal mine. In 1817 his father died, at the age of eighty-four, and in 1818, when the advantages of the fertile soil of Indiana were heralded in western Pennsylvania and enthusiasm aroused, he, with his wife, mother and two children, floated down the Ohio to Cincinnati, and went thence to Fayette county, Ind., where he opened a farm in the woods near Connersville. In the spring of 1821 he removed to Indianapolis, which had been fixed upon as the seat of government for the State, and resided there until his death in June, 1878, at the age of eighty-five years and five months. His portrait and signature represent him at the age of eighty. His first residence was a log cabin which he built near the northeast corner of Washington and Illinois streets. In 1822 he erected and resided in a double log cabin near the southwest corner of Washington and Alabama streets, opposite the Court House Square. In 1823 he built a new frame residence of three rooms in that locality. About 1831 he erected a two-story brick residence west of and adjoining the State Life building. In 1837 he was the owner of an acre of ground where the United States court house and post office now stands, and where he built a large plain two-story brick residence. Here he lived until it was sold to the First Presbyterian Church in 1863, and here his wife died in 1851. After her death he did not marry again.

He came to Indianapolis with about four thousand dollars, and strange as it may seem, that constituted him the largest capitalist of the incipient metropolis for the next ten years. That amount included the total of his inheritance and of his own acquisitions up to 1821. He was, in common with pioneers generally, a man of rugged health, and hopeful, confiding and enterprising. He was fond of building mills, manufactories, and introducing other improvements. On his arrival in Indianapolis, with his brother-in-law he erected the saw and gristmill on the bayou southwest of the city where the McCarty land now is, the dam being built across White river at the head of the island which was opposite the Old Cemetery. This is said to have been the first mill in the New Purchase.

About 1823 the firm of Yandes & Wilkens established the first tannery in the county, and continued in that business together about thirty years. The active partner was John Wilkens, a man well known for his uncommon merits. Afterward Daniel Yandes continued the same business with his nephew, Lafayette Yandes. After the death of Lafayette he formed another partnership, with his nephew, Daniel Yandes, Jr., and James C. Parmerlee in an extensive tannery in Brown county, and in a leather store at Indianapolis. About the year 1825 Mr. Yandes became the partner in a store with Franklin Merrill, brother of Samuel Merrill. Stores in the early history of Indianapolis contained a miscellaneous assortment, more or less extensive, inc1uding dry-goods, groceries, queensware, hardware, hats, shoes, etc. About 1831 he became the partner of Edward T. Porter, and the store of Yandes & Porter was in a brick building which preceded that where the State Life building now stands. At nearly the same time he started Joseph Sloan in business as a merchant at Covington, Ind., and continued his partner for several years. In 1833 he and Samuel Merrill, treasurer of State, dug a race along Fall creek, and built a grist mill, a sawmill, and the first cotton-spinning factory in this region. A few years afterward he and William Sheets, then late secretary of State, built on the canal west of the State-house grounds the first paper-mill in the county. About the same time he became the partner of Thomas M. Smith in a store, and about 1838 was the partner of John F. Hill in another store, both of which were on the north side of Washington street, a little west of Pennsylvania street. In 1839, under great difficulties, he alone built at Lafayette, Ind., a gristmill, sawmill, and paper-mill, and opened with his son James a large store. While engaged in this enterprise the panic was precipitated upon the country, and Mr. Yandes found himself involved heavily in debt, both as principal and endorser, at Indianapolis and Lafayette. While he enjoyed the good-will of his creditors, he did not command their entire confidence as to his solvency, and during the years 1839 to 1844 judgments in Marion county accumulated against him to the amount of over twenty-two thousand dollars, when he sacrificed some of his most valuable property at much less than cost. At the same time he was under protest at the bank at Lafayette. In due time, however, he paid the full amount of his debts, and it is a matter, of honest pride that he and his children have always paid in full individual and all other indebtedness. About the year 1847 he and Thomas H. Sharpe built the College Hall, a brick building, which preceded the Fletcher & Sharpe bank and store property, at the corner of Washington and Pennsylvania streets; and a few years afterward he erected a brick building on Washington street west of Pennsylvania street. In 1847 he built ten miles of the Madison railroad, which was completed about September of that year, and was the first railroad to Indianapolis. The same year he joined in building a gristmill at Franklin. In 1852 he and Alfred Harrison built thirty miles of the eastern end in Indiana of the Bellefontaine railroad. Previous to this time he had twice ventured successfully in sending large cargoes of provisions by flat-boats from Indiana to New Orleans About the year 1854, during the Kansas excitement, his desire for the freedom of that State impelled him to aid some young men to settle there, whom he accompanied to the West. About 1860 he joined Edward T Sinker as partner in the Western Machine Works, where he continued for some years.

One of his most curious traits was the manifestation of unusual energy and labor for a series of years until an enterprise could be but upon a solid basis, after which he evinced unusual indolence and inattention to detail for several years, until he became again enlisted in a new enterprise. As a consequence after new enterprises were fairly started and tested, he lost interest in them, and in a few years would usually sell his interest. He was senior partner, and in most cases the capitalist. Although he matured his plans carefully and patiently, he was nevertheless too fond of hazard.

If his business career had terminated when he was seventy-five years of age he would have been a successful businessman; but an undue fondness for enterprise and a hopeful enthusiasm, together with the fascinations of the far West, an overconfidence in others, and the deterioration incident to old age, with his unwillingness to be advised, resulted in disaster. He lost a considerable amount in mines in the West, and a large sum in the Brazil Furnace, stripping him in effect of his property when he was past the age of eighty.

In politics he was a very decided Whig and Republican, but cared little for the distinctions of office. He was, however, the first treasurer of Marion county, and in 1838 Governor Noble, unsolicited, appointed him one of the board of internal improvements to aid in carrying out the extensive system of improvements provided for by the Legislature in 1836.

In church matters he was a Lutheran by preference, but there being no church of that denomination at Indianapolis in early times he became a Presbyterian, and was for some years one of the first elders and trustees of the Second Presbyterian Church. From 1823 to 1845, and until the failure of his wifeís health, his house was one of the favorite stopping places of the Presbyterian clergy. Rev. Mr. Proctor, and afterward Rev. George Bush, were his guests for months. He was liberal to charities and the church, having given away up to 1865 about sixty thousand dollars. It would require at least double that amount, according to the present value of money, to be an equivalent.

Five of his children died young. His daughter Mary Y. Wheeler died in 1852. His son, James W. Yandes, died in 1885. Simon Yandes died Oct. 5, 1903. Elizabeth Y. Robinson died in May, 1904. His daughter Catharine C. Fletcher and his son George B. Yandes yet survive him.

EDWIN D. YORK, an early settler of Indiana, a veteran of the Civil war, and who in his business life was identified with the American Express Company for more than forty years, is a well-known and most highly valued resident of Indianapolis.

Mr. York was born July 2, 1835, at Brookfield, Vt., was reared on farm, and educated in the common schools. His parents, Samuel W. and Esther (Hyde) York, were both natives of Vermont, where they were married, and the former was a son of Gersham and Lois (Williams) York, of Vermont and Connecticut, respectively. The York family is of English descent, its founders coming to America in Colonial days. Gersham York fought through the Revolutionary war and afterward settled in Vermont, where he became a prominent farmer and died at his home when aged ninety-one years. His children were: Esther, Mrs. Stone; Lois, Mrs. Clark; Lydia, Mrs. Davis; Anna, Mrs. Whitney; Miss Minerva; and Samuel W. Mrs. Lois (Williams) York was a descendant of an old, and honored family of New England. Both she and husband were consistent members of the Universalist Church.

Samuel W. York was reared to the honest and laborious life of a farmer, and after his marriage he settled on a farm and continued in the peaceful pursuit of that calling all his life, a good man, a stanch Whig, an example of industry and integrity, and a very liberal supporter of the Universalist Church. His useful life was brought to an end by accident, in 1873, an unruly young horse being the cause. He was seventy-three years of age, having been born in 1800. His memory still lives as that of one of the most estimable men of his neighborhood. His wife, who died in 1867, was a daughter of Asahel Hyde, one of the reliable and conservative men of Massachusetts, a representative of that class which has made the Bay State so notable in history. His children were: David, who died in Massachusetts; Dolly, Mrs. Gould; Calvin, who was a mechanic; Esther, the mother of Edwin D. York; Asahel, a carriagemaker; Lucinda, who married Alpheus, a merchant; and Sarah, Mrs. King. Asahel Hyde died at the age of eighty-one years and nine months, and his wife at the age of eighty-nine years.

Children as follows were born to Samuel W. and Esther (Hyde) York: Hiram, who died young; Henry, for many years an agent for the Fairbanks Scales Company, who resides in Harrisburg, one of her wealthy retired citizens; Lydia, who died unmarried in 1894; Edwin D.; Joseph, who died while in the service during the Civil war; George, who died at Morehead City, N. C., also in the service of his country; and Misses Lois and Maria.

Until he had reached his twenty-second year Edwin D. York remained under the paternal roof and then coming West in 1856 to Indianapolis. Later he went to Lafayette, two years afterward returning to Indianapolis, and in 1860 entering the employ of the American Express Company, as a member of the office force. Later he was made messenger on the railroad route between Indianapolis and St. Louis and was so employed when the company encouraged its men to enlist for service in the Civil war. Mr. York was enrolled in 1862, in Indianapolis, in the 20th Battery of Light Artillery, and assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. He entered upon his enlistment for three years as a private, was soon advanced to the rank of lieutenant, and at the close of the war wore the straps of a first lieutenant, earned by gallantry and those qualities which distinguish a brave and efficient officer. At Nashville, Tenn., he was wounded in the elbow of his right arm, and being unfitted for duty was sent to the hospital and then sent on leave to his home in Vermont. When recovered enough to return to duty he joined the regiment at Chattanooga and belonged to the army which engaged in the successful campaign against General Hood. He was at Chattanooga at the time of General Leeís surrender. He was mustered out and discharged finally in June, 1865.

Soon after Mr. York resumed work with the Express Company, and in July of that year was married, at Lafayette, where he lived until 1875, when he moved to Indianapolis, bought a desirable lot, and erected the comfortable residence in which he still resides. For more than forty years his best energies were given to the interests of the Express Company, and several years ago he was retired with a pension. His exposure during army life brought on complications which resulted in a stroke of paralysis, and his health at present is rather feeble. The marriage of Mr. York was to Miss Anna M. Kline, who was born in 1844, in Concord, Ind., daughter of Samuel and Anna (Wolf) Kline, both natives of Virginia. The father of Mrs. Kline, Mr. Wolf, inherited a number of slaves in Virginia, but as he was opposed to slavery he gave them their freedom, and some of them, in their attachment, followed the family to Indiana and lived about their kind old master until they died. Mr. Wolf located at Romney, where he died in old age; he was always a fine-spirited man, of the old-fashioned type of Southern gentleman. Samuel Kline was a carpenter by trade and followed the same in Romney, Tippecanoe county, where he located in 1840, dying there in 1846. He was a most estimable man, a strong Whig, and one who won respect through his integrity of character. His wife survived him many years, dying in April, 1895. They were most worthy members of the Presbyterian Church. Four of their children died young, the survivors being: Fernando, who is a resident of Winamac, Ind.; and Anna M., the wife of Mr. York. The two children born to Mr. and Mrs. York are: Thaddeus, a stenographer; and Harry W., formerly an express messenger, and now engaged as a city salesman.

Jeremiah Vanlaningham was born in Fleming County, Ky., in May, 1801. He assisted his father in clearing a farm in Bath County, Ky. At the age of eighteen he went to New Orleans as a hand on a flat-boat, returning home on foot. He drove hogs hogs to Washington City in 1821, and returned to Kentucky on foot. In 1822 drove hogs to South Carolina, and returned on foot. In 1823 drove hogs to North Carolina, and returned home on foot. In 1824 drove hogs to Petersburg, Va., and returned home on foot. In fall of 1824 he came to Indiana and selected land in this township, upon which he moved his wife and two children in the fall of 1828. The farm is situated on Indian Creek, one mile southwest of Oakland. He settled in the woods and cleared a farm, and resides upon it now. His wife (Nancy Denton), to whom he was married in 1822, died about seven years ago. Mr. Vanlaningham is a highly respected and prominent citizen of the township. He has endured many privations and trials, but has triumped over them all. Of the two children who came to the township, with him but one (Woodford) is now alive. He has lived in the township fifty-five years. The other child (Jane) lived in the township seventeen years, married James McClain, and is now dead. Mr. Vanlaningham had eight children born here; six are living. Ellen lives in Hancock County, Ind., and John lives in Texas; the remainder live here in this township.

Submitted by Ken Hixon. Jeremiah Vanlaninghman is Mr. Hixonís 3rd great-grandfather