REV. HENRY C. CANTER, a minister of the Christian Church in Indianapolis, who has his home at No. 724 West Vermont street, was born in Knox county, Ky., Sept. 5, 1842, son of Henry N. Canter, a native of Tennessee.

Henry N. Canter was reared in his native State of Tennessee, where he married, and then removed to Kentucky. Enlisting as a volunteer in the Mexican war, he died of disease in Mexico in 1847, leaving four sons and one daughter; all of the sons served in the Civil war. His widow removed with her children to Howard county, Indiana, in 1851, and was remarried nine years after the death of her first husband to John B. Rice. To her second marriage were born two children, one son and one daughter. Mrs. Rice died in 1876. The four sons of the first union are still living, and those besides Henry C. are as follows: (1) Lewis, a member of the 10th Indiana and later of the 46th Regiment, is now a resident of Polk county, Ark. (2) Levi, now a resident of London, Ky., served in the 46th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and is totally blind from the effects of his experiences in the army. Both he and Lewis were captured up the Red River. (3) George W., who served in the 72nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry, resides in Knoxville, Tenn. The daughter, Elizabeth Jane, born after Henry N. Canter went to Mexico, is now Mrs. Bard, of Kokomo, Indiana.

Henry C. Canter enlisted on April 15, 1861, in company with his brother Lewis, both becoming members of Company A, 10th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. On his way to answer the first call for troops he learned of the bombardment of Sumter. His first term was for three monthsí service, and he was one of the very first to be mustered in as a soldier in defense of the Union. In this organization he served for three and a half months, his field of operations being in West Virginia. He took part in the active operations of the army in that region under General McClellan, and participated in the battle of Rich Mountain, the first battle of any importance in the early days of the war. Mr. Canterís second enlistment, on March 10, 1862, was as a member of Company A, 46th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served for about sixteen months, in the Southwest. In connection with this regiment he took part in many important events, including the battles at Fort Pillow, Memphis, and St. Charles. He was disabled at Helena, where he was put on detached duty in the post office. His discharge came July 16, 1863, as a result of his disability, but not willing to remain at home while the war was going on Mr. Canter entered the service a third time, becoming a member of the 25th Battery, Indiana Volunteers, with which organization he continued until it was mustered out, July 20, 1865. In the Army of the Cumberland he rendered his last service. He was at the battle of Nashville when the Confederates under General flood were baffled and beaten back by General Thomas.

Mr. Canter returned to Howard county, Ind., after the war, and for some time was engaged in farming. In September, 1870, he entered the service of the Christian ministry, and since that time has faithfully labored in the work of the gospel. In the winter of 1871 he was called to the pastorate of the church located on Turkey creek, in Knox county, Ky. There he continued for about a year, and was in pastoral labor in Knox and Laurel counties for about three years, spending not a little of his time in traveling and organizing new churches, and reviving the weak and discouraged ones, as an evangelist. At the end of that time he returned to Indiana to make his home, and has spent some fourteen years as an evangelist and mission worker in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Arkansas. Since August, 1900, he has made his home in Indianapolis, engaged both in preaching and at manual labor. His ability as a preacher of the gospel is greater than ever, notwithstanding his advancing age and his thirty-six years of service in the ministry, but having a large family he feels under obligation to remain at home and labor for their support, although his heart is in the work of leading souls to Christ. He has attracted wide attention and much interest by his work as a lecturer on the Book of Revelations, to which theme he has given much study, and on which he discourses learnedly and instructively. His ability, candor and close preparation of his sermons render him an interesting and instructive speaker.

Mr. Canter was married, in Kokomo, Ind., Aug. 10, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth Watson, who died in 1875. His second marriage took place in Knox county, Ky., to Amanda Brogan, who died June 6, 1878. His present wife was Rachel McNitt. To his first union was born one son, Wilford Garfield, of Flora, Carroll Co., Ind. By his present wife he has had eight children, all but one still living: Carl Clyde, Narra Pearl, Edna Iva, Loren Leon, Walter Winson, and Ralph Raymond and Floyd Ferrel, twins. Edward Ivan, deceased, was a twin of Edna Iva.

The Canter family has certainly a remarkable history in the wars of the country. The father died in the Mexican war, and his four sons followed the flag in the war for the Union. All four were more or less disabled, and are in receipt of pensions from the United States for their gallant and meritorious services in time of danger. Rev. Henry C. Canter had his feet frozen, and lost the toes of his left foot.

JOHN R. DARLING, late one of the most highly respected citizens of Pike township, Marion county, Ind., was a native of the State, born on Tannerís creek, near Guilford, Dearborn county, April 15, 1835, son of John and Abigail (Gipson) Darling.

John Darling was born in New York in 1810, son of Thomas Darling, who, with his four sons, fought in the war of 1812. It may be mentioned here that the family has a noble record for military service in defense of country, our subject recalling twenty-six of his relatives who lost their lives in the Civil war, truly a remarkable testimonial to family loyalty.

John Darling came to Indiana in 1856, and settled at Augusta. He was a mechanical engineer, and for some years he assisted his father in operating a saw mill. His death occurred in 1873 and that of his wife, in 1864. Their children were: William, who served in the 52nd Ind. V. I., and who lives on the old home place in Dearborn county, entered by his grandfather; Martha, deceased; Lucy, who lives in Cincinnati; John R.; Isabella, deceased; Silas, who now lives in North Indianapolis, and who served in the Civil war in the 52d Ind. V. I.; James, deceased, who served in the 10th Ind. V. I.; Jacob, deceased; and Samuel, a painter in Indianapolis. Mr. Darling saw four of his six sons enter the army and he applauded their patriotism, as he was a stanch supporter of the administration, a Republican from the organization of that party.

John R. Darling was reared to habits of industry and had the faculty of being able to turn his efforts successfully in almost every direction. He followed milling, farming and broom making, working at the latter business for fifteen years at Augusta. Early in the opening of the Civil war, he enlisted in Company H, 83d Ind. V. I., under Capt. Crawford and Col. Ben. Spooner, the latter of whom lost an arm at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. After enlistment, Mr. Darling remained eight weeks at Lawrenceburg, then went to Cairo, Ill., then by water to Memphis, and was one of the gallant soldiers who gained the approbation of the loyal people of Tennessee by driving Gen. Price and his army out of that State. From there Mr. Darlingís command was sent to Holly Springs, and later joined the army of Gen. Sherman, in its March to the Sea, and finally enjoyed the Grand Review at Washington City. During his service he was engaged at Vicksburg, on the Yazoo river, at Haines Bluff, where the command was skirmishing for two weeks continually, and then back to Vicksburg. The regiment worked one winter on a canal around Vicksburg, and in the spring went to Arkansas Post, stormed and captured it, returned to Youngís Point, then to Yazoo City, and on to Port Gibson, crossing the Mississippi river in time to take part in the Melvin Hill fight. Mr. Darling was taken sick and was honorably discharged in June, 1865.

After his return from the army, in 1865, Mr. Darling was married to Melissa Mericle, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Gibson) Mericle, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Dearborn county, Ind., at a very early date. Mr. Mericle and his wife had a family of seven children. By trade he was a carpenter and was very well known. Mr. and Mrs. Darling had five children, namely: William, a painter at Augusta, married Lou Myers; George is a carpenter, and he married Bertha Williams; and Abigail, John and Ernest, are all at home.

Mr. Darling voted the Republican ticket. He was well fixed in a material sense, having several valuable lots in Augusta and other property, all of which he earned himself. He was well known and universally respected.

WILLIAM OLIVER DARNALL, an attorney-at-law and a loan agent in Lebanon, Boone county, was born in that county Jan. 23, 1851, the son of Harvey B. and Jane (Turner) Darnall. The Darnall family was originally of Welsh stock, and the founder of the family came over with Lord Baltimore and settled in Maryland. The earlier generations were Catholics. The great-grandfather of William O. Darnall, was named John; he was a native of Maryland and one of the pioneers of Kentucky, where he died. His son, James, was born in the latter State, and seemed to inherit his fatherís venturous spirit, for he moved on from Kentucky to Indiana in the very early days, and encountered all the hardships of frontier life. He was a large-land owner and followed farming first in Decatur and then in Boone county. He did military service in the war of 1812. He died when about seventy years of age leaving a family of six children, born to him by his wife, Jane (Bridges) Darnall.

Harvey B. Darnall was born in Decatur county. By trade a carpenter, he followed his calling there for some years, and then went to Boone county in 1849, locating in the southern part. There he worked as a carpenter and also taught singing school until his marriage, when he abandoned the latter calling and settled down to steady work at his trade. In 1863 he moved to Lebanon and added contracting to his carpenter work. He died in Lebanon in September, 1902, aged seventy-seven years. He was for many years an elder in the Christian Church, and at one time served on the school board. Harvey B. Darnall was twice married; his first wife, whose maiden name was Jane Turner, died in 1874, aged forty-five, a devout believer in the teachings of the Christian Church. She was the mother of two sons: William 0., and James S., freight agent at Lebanon for the Big Four railroad. For his second wife Mr. Darnall married Miss Ursula Kernodle, who still survives him.

The maternal grandfather of William 0. Darnall was William Turner, a native of North Carolina. He was one of the early settlers of Indiana and entered land in Boone county which is still owned by the family. Previously to his settling in Boone county he had spent a brief period in Hendricks county. He died in Boone county well advanced in years. He was an Old School Baptist. By his wife, Matilda Roark, he had a large family, but all but two of their children died duritig an epidemic of yellow fever. The Turner family is believed to be of English descent.

William Oliver Darnall grew up in Boone county and received his education in the public schools. Since 1863 he has made his home in the city of Lebanon. When only seventeen years old he began to learn the printerís trade, and followed that as long as his health permitted. He became a half owner in the Lebanon Patriot, and was editor of that sheet until his health failed, and he was obliged to give up that business. For some time he did out of door work, teaming, etc., and then for four years served as deputy sheriff under Sheriff Reynolds. During the succeeding term he was deputy recorder under Samuel S. Heath, and it was while he was there in the recorderís office that he prepared his set of abstract books and made preparation for his later occupation. When his term of deputy recorder was completed he went into the abstract and loan business, and up to 1902 devoted his attention to that. In 1885 he was admitted to the Bar, and has used his legal knowledge mainly as an assistance in his abstract business.

In 1870 Mr. Darnall was married to Miss Flora C. Scott, daughter of John M. and Mary (Bliss) Scott. One son was born to them, Harry H., now deputy postmaster in his home city. Mrs. Flora Darnall died in her native city in 1873, and on March I, 1876, Mr. Darnall married Miss Sarah E. Kemp, daughter of Christopher C. and Elizabeth (Davenport) Kemp. Of the five children born to this union, one died in infancy. Herbert 0. is a homeopathic physician of St. Maryís, Idano; he married Miss Edna Jenkins, and they have one child, Dorothy Dale. James C. is associated with his father in the loan business and also runs an abstract business. The two other children are Nora E. and William L. The family residence is at No. 324 E. South street, where Mr. Darnall owns a fine home. Mr. and Mrs. Darnall and their children are all members of the Christian Church, and he has been an elder in the Central Church at Lebanon for several years. In politics Mr. Darnall is a Republican. He is much interested in the work of the fraternal orders and is a member of several, including Boone Lodge, No. 9, F. & A. M.; Lebanon Chapter, R. A. M.; Lebanon Commandery, Knights Templar; and is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, belonging to the Indianapolis Valley Consistory.

WILLIAM DORRELL, deceased, one of Johnson county's respected citizens, was born in White River township, Johnson Co., Ind., Sept. 15, 1830, and he died April 20, 1904, respected by all who knew him.

William Dorrell, his grandfather, was a native of Maryland of German descent. He moved to Ohio in his youth, and there married, and there most of his sixteen children were born. In 1804 he removed to Indiana and settled in Ohio county, where he remained until his death, which occurred June 30, 1853. Some of the children died in infancy, and of them there is no record. The others were: Nancy, Mrs. Wynn; Katie, Mrs. Conover; Betsy; Mrs. Sedam; Rachel, Mrs. Lamkin; Sally, Mrs. Sedam; Hattie, Mrs. Sutton; Margaret, Mrs. Mandal; Rebecca, Mrs. Mitchell; Jacob; William; Daniel and Peter.

Jacob Dorrell, son of William and father of our subject, was born in Ohio, in 1801, and when three years of age moved with his parents to Ohio County, Ind., where he grew to manhood. In 1822 he married Miss Mary Alexander, who was born in Ohio county, June 4, 1804, daughter of John Alexander, of Pleasant township. John Alexander was a pioneer of Dearborn county, Ind. In 1820 he moved to Johnson county, purchased land in Pleasant township, and followed the occupation of a farmer. Later he sold this land and bought the farm on which he lived until his death. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a worthy member of the Methodist Church. In politics he was identified with the Whig party, but never sought office, although he was a leader in the development of Johnson county. John Alexander had five children, namely: Samuel, Joseph, Mary (Mrs. Dorrell), Peggy (Mrs. Means) and Anna (Mrs. Lemaster).

Jacob Dorrell moved to Johnson county in 1828, settling in White River township, where he bought land on credit from Judge Hardin. The county was then but sparsely settled, and Mr. Dorrell and wife had to overcome many obstacles to get their land into cultivation. Jacob Dorrell was compelled to use such farm implements as he could make. His plow had a wooden moldboard, for hauling be had a sled made from hickory poles with pegs for nails, the harness for his horse was quite different from that used now. The collar was made of shucks, hames of crooked beech roots and the traces of hickory bark. After having improved his first land into a good farm, be traded it for three eighty-acre lots on which he made substantial improvements, and lived for the rest of his life. Jacob Dorrell was above the average in size, with a strong constitution. of social disposition, a fluent speaker, opposed to vulgarity of any kind, broad minded and intelligent, and was known for his integrity. He was a good neighbor, always ready to assist the sick and needy, and with his horses conveyed the dead to their last resting place. He died Feb. 1, 1881. His wife died Jan. 12, 1873. Thirteen children were born to Jacob and Mary Dorrell as follows: John, who died and left two sons; Elizabeth, Mrs. Smith; James, who died and left three children; Cynthia A., who died single; William, the subject of this sketch; Daniel, of this township; Paschal, of Greenwood; Sarah, Mrs. Sedam; Joseph, who died and left two children; Mary, Mrs. H. Myers; Samuel, of Greenwood; Urzella, who married (first) W. Clara, and (second) George Hughes; and Margaret, Mrs. J. W. Shephard.

William Dorrell remained under the parental roof until he was about twenty-five years old, and in 1854 he went to Iowa, in which State he entered land, also working land on shares with another man. In 1857, having sold his land, he returned to the homestead in Indiana.

In August, 1858, Mr. Dorrell was married to Miss Marcella Bristow, born in Marion county, Ind., July 22, 1835, daughter of James and Sarah Dunn Bristow. James Bristow was born in Kentucky, in 1805, son of Payton Bristow, a pioneer of Marion county, Ind., who was well known and highly respected, and who died in Marion county. James Bristow came to Indiana with his parents and was reared among the early settlers of Marion county. He followed the occupation of a farmer, and died in Indiana in February, 1855. His wife, Sarah Dunn Bristow, died in Indiana in 1873. They were members of the United Brethren Church. The children of James and Sarah Dunn Bristow were as follows: Marcella, wife of our subject; Madison, who was a first lieutenant in the Civil war, and who, when in battle his captain fell, took command, and was killed leading his company by ten paces; Joseph, a veteran of the Civil war, residing at Indianapolis; Thomas, who died and left five children; Jane, who died single; Mary, Mrs. James Davis, of Indianapolis; Alford, deceased and Sarah, Mrs. W. Cahill.

When William Dorrell married he had but thirty dollars to start housekeeping with, but their small capital proved an incentive to the young couple. He rented a farm for a few years, and then bought the land on which he still lives. This purchase consisted of 120 acres of land with no house, and but a few acres under cultivation. He first bought a log cabin in which they lived for a number of years. His wife ably assisted him in all the hard work and struggle to succeed. On borrowed capital he bought more land, manufactured the brick and built his two-story residence. For thirty-five seasons he ran a threshing machine, and during these seasons while away from home, his wife looked after the farm. William Dorrell helped clear and put into cultivation over three hundred acres of land, he split rails, and he worked hard to de-velop the country. In 1885 he retired from active labor, attending to his farm interests only, and enjoyed. the fruits of his early hardships until his death. He had a fine farm of four hundred acres, the residence very beautifully situated on high rolling land with back ground of a large orchard and natural grove, fronting on the Three Notch gravel road connecting with Indianapolis, which city is only twelve miles north, and always proved a good market.

William Dorrell and wife were blessed with eleven children, as follows: Jacob G., a farmer; Joseph, who died young; Daniel D., carpenter and farmer; Sarah M., Mrs. J. Humbarger; Mary, who died young; Paschal E., a farmer of Greenwood and justice of the peace; William A., a farmer: Thomas, a teacher and merchant, and at present student at the State University; James M., living at home; Robert, farming the homestead; Cora J., Mrs. Repass. Mr. Dorrell never departed from the principles of the Democratic party. He filled two terms as justice of the peace with honor and credit and discouraged lawsuits when they could be avoided, settling many disputes out of court to the satisfaction of the people. He was a worthy member of Mt. Auburn M. E. Church, the rolls of which contained the names of eighteen members of the Dorrell family, including Mrs. Dorrell's. The history of Mr. Auburn Church dates back to 1826. The few Methodists of this vicinity at that time worshiped in a frame church 24x30 feet called Pleasant Hill, and located on the banks of Pleasant Run, one miles west of the present site of Fairview Church. The names of some of the members are still remembered and are Henry Britton, Abner Leonard and wife, George Wright, Jesse Hughes, Julia Pruitt, Frank Sanders, Margaret Smart, Thomas Davis, and Nichols Orme. This was a flourishing church for many years, but as the county became better settled other societies were formed. In the year 1835 the first Methodist class was formed in the neighborhood, being organized at the home of William Harrell, which is now owned and occupied by George Hughes. From this cant Hill Society some of the members of which were: Jesse Hughes and wife, John Surface and wife, William Harrell and wife, John Robe and wife, Amos Smith and wife, Jane Ross, and about thirteen others, making a class of about twenty-four. About 1836 this society erected, about one-half mile west of the present church, a small frame building with walls of mud, and used it for school and church purposes. It was familiarly known as the Mud School House, and was used for thirteen years, during which time twelve ministers worked in the field, and in 1843-44-45, successful camp meetings were held on the land of David Melton, now owned by Paschal Dorrell. In 1848-49 the present church was erected, and although not entirely finished was used as a house of worship. In 1853 through the efforts of George Hughes, who passed around the subscription list, enough money was obtained to finish the building. This church has always been an important factor for good in the community, and has had many able pastors. The Sabbath school of this church had its Origin in the Old Mud School House, and has become one of the largest and most active in the State.

Mr. Dorrell was affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of Southport Lodge, No. 270, and with his wife belonged to the Eastern Star.

MARION EATON, late of Indianapolis, was born in Hendricks county, Ind., Nov. 27, 1850, son of Greenup and Jane (Smith) Eaton, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Indiana. His paternal grandfather was a Kentuckian, and died in his native State. He was the father of a large family.

Greenup Eaton was a brickmaker and mason when a young man, and later a farmer in Hendricks county, north of Brownsburg, having come to Indiana with his mother when a small boy. He lived there the remainder of his life, dying July 25, 1867. His wife died about 1853. Both were Missionary Baptists in religious faith. They had six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom two are still living Willard F., a brickmason of Indianapolis and Perry Hardin, of near Traders Point, Marion county, Ind. The father of Mrs. Jane (Smith) Eaton was a native of Indiana, a farmer, and died in middle life.

Marion Eaton was reared in Hendricks county on a farm, and was educated in the district schools. He learned the plasterers trade when young, following it through later life in connection with farming. He began for himself by renting a farm, and when able bought forty acres in Boone county, all covered with forest, he cleared the land and made brick from the clay soil for two seasons, and then bought another forty and improved it, living there about eight years. Then he sold out and bought eighty acres of the home farm in Hendricks county, living there from 1878 to 1887, when he was elected treasurer of the county, and served as such two years. He lived in Danville, the county seat, until 1891, when he moved to Indianapolis, conducting a barn, livery, boarding and sales stable at No. 27 West Sixteenth street, until October, 1898, when he sold out. He then bought and sold horses until Nov. 6, 1900, when he was elected county assessor. In that office he gave his constituents eminent satisfaction.

On Jan. 6, 1870, Mr. Eaton manried Miss Josephine Hulsizer, who was born near Trenton, N. J., daughter of Andrew and Nancy (Worts) Hulsizer, the former of whom died May 8, 1876; the latter made her home with Mrs. Eaton. To this union were born one son and two daughters, namely Artie E., Reona May and Ollie. Artie E. Eaton was deputy assessor under his father he owns several teams which he hires to any and all who want teaming done. He married Nettie Cottingham, and lives at No. 921 Udell street, North Indianapolis; they have one child, Dorothy. Reona May is married to W. L. Dodd, and lives in Indianapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Eaton were members of the Missionary Baptist Church, in University place, of which he was trustee and also a deacon. Fraternally he was a member of Lincoln Lodge, No. 690 I. O. O. F Damascus Lodge. No. 384, Knights of Pythias; and with his wife belonged to the Daughters of Rebekah. In politics Mr. Eaton was a Republican.

The Eaton family are noted for their refinement and generous hospitality, and Mr. Eaton was probably one of the most popular men in the city. His progress through life was made entirely through his own efforts, and the high esteem in which he was everywhere held was the result of his personal merits.

WILLIAM ECKERT, the well known cigar manufacturer at No. 520 West Washington street, Indianapolis, was born Aug. 12, 1859, in Wasbach, Baden, Germany, son of Jacob and Barbara (Schneider) Eckert, both natives of that country. His education was acquired partly in Germany, and was finished in Indianapolis, whither he had come with his sister when he was fourteen, arriving Nov. 26, 1873. His sister, Mrs. Schlegel, still resides here.

Mr. Eckert attended school in Indianapolis for some time after his arrival. On April 1 5, 1874, he went to work at cigar making for J. P. C. Meyer, spending three years mastering the trade. For over nine years he worked as a journeyman for John Rauch. In 1886 Mr. Meyer was about to go away for his health, and wanted some honest person to close up at nights for him, and to take his receipts for each day. Knowing Mr. Eckert's reliability, he asked him to do this work, and on his return Mr. Meyer showed his appreciation of the favor done by Mr. Eckert, by offering him better inducements than he found at Mr. Rauch's. Mr. Eckert made the change and remained with Mr. Meyer for over five years. At the end of that time, Mr. Eckert, from ill health, was obliged to rest, and when he regained his health, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, to try his luck for one year. At the expiration of that time he found that "there was no place like home," and he returned to Indianapolis, going to J. Wenger & Co. he recognized the fact that the work he turned out for others was largely patronized, and he began to save up his dollars until on Jan. 22, 1894, he opened up a business for himself at No. 211 Blake street, in a small room. He lived on the premises, and his patronage was soon increased to such an extent that his quarters were too small. In the latter part of 1901 he moved his business (factory and office) to No. 520 West Washington street. Mr. Eckertís friends always speak of him as a straightforward, sober man, honest in his business dealings, and his success is due to his business methods which are entirely his own. While his business is located, as stated, at No. 520 West Washington street, he has a comfortable home at No. 406 North West street.

On New Yearís eve, 1902, Mr. Eckert was married to Bessie L. Stone. Mr. Eckert belongs to the Knights of Fidelity, Improved Order of Red Men, Knights of Pythias, Haymakers and the Badischer Unterstuetzungs Verein.