Johns parents were immigrants from Holland who had moved to the Somerset, New Jersey. where they raised their family.

John was born on the 11th of November, 1758. It is unknown if there were other siblings and little is known about his youth.

When he turned 17 , we know he enlisted as a "Drummer Boy" In the New Jersey Continental Line Army, answering to an advertisement for young men between ages of 16 and 20, that were of good character, and references to apply for the position of "Drummer Boy" with the New Jersey Continental Line Army.

His enlistment was at Rare ton, New Jersey, on January, 1777, he attained the rank as a Private, and served as such until his three years was over, during this time he saw action with Col. Matthias Ogden's, 1st. Battalion, N.J. Cont. Army. at the Battles of "Clay Creek" on September 9 to 11, 1777, and Brandywine .Germantown on October 4-5,1777 at Monmouth on June 27-28th, 1778.

He spent the winter of 1777-1778 at Valley Forge enduring the extreme freezing weather, and lack of supplies that an Army needs, little food, clothing and shelters.

In January of 1780 he re-enlisted for the duration on the war and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, again serving in the Maxwell Brigade, under Captain Aaron Ogden's Company, Col. Matthias Ogden's, 1st Battalion.

In his records from the Nation Achieves it shows a rather Spartan existence for the soldiers, his issue for two weeks included a quart of Rum, 1 pound of sugar, 2 ounces of tea, 1/3 of tobacco, 1/4 soap , 1.6 ounces pepper.(January 28th).

In June, 1783 he was present at the capture if the British General Lord Cornwallis when he turned his sword over to General George Washington in a surrender at New Windsor.

He was discharged there and was later given a Land Grant near Lexington, Kentucky (Mercer County.Ky) involving nearly 100 acres.

He was married to a Delilah (last name unknown) and they raised a family having two daughters Mary and Elizabeth. Delilah passed away prior to 1836, and no record was found of this event.

John remarried on September 30th,1836, to a Rebecca Gilprin according to the Mercer County records.

He then moved to Indiana (Marion County), to be with his children, showing he was a widower.

He passed away on the 28th of November 1842 at age 84 , and was buried at "Round hill Cemetery".

Daughter Mary George had married a Peter Stuck who was a War of 1812 Soldier, and they had several children, she died on the 14th of August, 1804, her husband Peter died on January 25th 1845. They are buried in Round hill Cemetery, she is next to her father and Peter on her other side. Some of the families headstones are broken and missing but records shoe they are buried there.

Johns gravesite is marked with a "Drummer boy Blue" sign stating George Washington's Drummer boy. and Mary George / Stuck is marked with "Drummer boys Daughter."

Submitted by his 5th Great grandson, Frank Henry Kautsky ,IIIon September, 2009

Frank Henry Kautsky, Sr.

Grandpa Frank was the only son of his parents (born on 30-Sept.-1915), his father Frank V. Kautsky(Kaucky) and Mother Louisa A. Muegge, a blood line from Bohemia, and from Germany. Both were just hard working people as were their parents before him.

They had three other children all girls. Emma ( married George Bixler ,Sr.), Minnie (married Bert Carson) and Clara (married Harrison Wright). All of them in their own way became "Movers and Shakers in the Indianapolis & Indiana areas. See Biographies on them (INDIANA BIOGRAPHIES).

Frank H. Kautsky Sr, married Loretta Hazel Stuck , at the Southport A M E Church on the 2nd of November of 1912, with The Reverand Cross presiding.

The family was a close and they supported any financial endeavor that was undertaken by family members. And there was never a special occasion nor Holiday that family didn't gather , and all the cousins enjoyed these gatherings. As I remember there was a lot of our friends that joined in and it was never noticed.

Great grandpa was a farmer and he sold his goods off the farm by trucking to the neighbors in the community, My dad Frank Jr "Fronnie" & Brother Laurence "Cycle", and Sister Esther "Betty" all took orders and delivered products to homes.

Betty always was upset about Grandpa giving her a brand new shiny nickle , and Cycle a dime , because she was younger , and she was quick to tell you she was faster.

All the grand children loved him and grandma, My dad always said that she was always cooking and everything was good.

This type work ethic continued when Frank Sr. bought a grocery store on Madison and Epler, in Edgewood (,The kids would take orders and then fill them and deliver to them to the customers.

The stores moved and changed, always a better size and were always on Madison Ave.. He first bought out a Gregg Waddell's store on the corner of Madison and Epler (about 1922-3) Then the store relocated to Madison Ave. & Thompson Rd., then to the south west corner of Madison Ave and Epler, this was a two story building that Grandma Louisa lived up stairs , since her husband had died., the next move was into a new building that he had built in 1949 on the site of the first store and had the name of F. H .Kautsky & Sons. There was a old gate on that store that Announced "Stuck Farms", even though I never seen that gate closed it was a favorite place for the young men to sit on and drink their soda pop. I guess they were the "Drug Store Cowboys" of that era.

I will never forget the day that the building (New Grocery Store)was finished and the name was placed on it, he drove to the building and parked out front and we got out of his car and said "What does that say?" I replied Frank Kautsky & Sons" and he came back with thatís you and your Uncles, and dad.

He was a industrious man with a drive to compete at all levels even sports he played baseball for several years, he sponsored both Men and Woman's ball teams, He also played golf regularly and loved it.

Later a friend who was principal of Edgewood Grade School, a Pete Bailey asked him one day if he had ever seen a Basketball game before, and if he wanted he could come to the gym tonight and see a "pick up game," well that night changed directions for Frank Kautsky Sr, he was hooked big time.

The next day he went back to see Pete and wanted to know what it would take to put a team together and how much it would cost. and they set down and made a list of players and contacted Emroes Sporting goods store and figured that out.

The Kautsky A.C,s were born, and they barn stormed for a season or two and the wheels were turning in Frank Sr's head, Not long from then "The Indianapolis Kautsky's" evolved and they were playing all over. True to the families ethics, all the Girls and Mother would load into the back of the Stores truck and sit on milk crates with blanket and pillows and attend the games with all the support they could muster.

Grandpa use to take the team in his Chrysler Limousine, and it got crowded and he bought a big Blue bus for this. I was so proud, because I could play in it.

My grandma Hazel was still his greatest supporter, she stayed home with the children and always washed ,starched and ironed the aprons, jackets and white shirts for the store employees, yes even for the players she did the uniforms and clothes when they returned home.

In the mean while grandpa had moved his grocery around to 4 different locations on Madison Ave, enlarging all the time and Donnie was managing it with Norman helping.

The children were Frank H. Jr., Dorothy Mae, Laurence Theodore, Esther Louise ,Donald Lee, and Norman Eugene They all were in businesses, Dad was a milkman for Golden Guernsey Dairy, as was Laurence, Dorothy married and worked with her husband, Esther married and was a house keeper.

In 1947 "The Indianapolis Kautsky's" won the then World Championship. Boy! were we all proud. The whole town of Indianapolis went wild have a championship team based there.

Grandpa use to give tickets to all the Star /News paper boys and girls for the games, and people who attended the games could come to the grocery store and bring the ticket stubs and get a free loaf of Colonial Bread, I have seen two big trucks full of bread going out the doors in two days.

During the depression gave turkeys to a lot of families that wouldn't have had much of a Holiday, He also carried a lot of local families on "the cuff" that wouldn't have made it during the depression.

I remember his telling me back when we bagged eggs in brown paper sack s that a half dozen was 6 eggs, and a dozen eggs were 13, people buying a 5# bag of potatoes got a extra small one, 10# got a good sized one extra, I remember that this was his ethics and they had paid off for a long time.

This my Grandpa and Grandma Kautsky, who I will always love and hold Near and dear to me.

By his Grandson Frank Henry Kautsky ,III who lived in his hip pocket for years. September, 2009.

Wenzel Kautsky

He started his life on October 15, 1828, in House #24 in Lounin, Bohemia to parents Joseph & Maria Smolcnop-Kautsky. He was christened on 16th of October 1828 in the Roman Catholic church in T-Man.

His father was a master cabinet maker, and Wenzel loved to work by his fathers side.

He married Anna Stetka (Stetkova) from Suchomasty, he was 26 years old and she 22years old. Upon marriage they moved to the town of Hyskov. Their family was started there and enlarged to nine children:

Kaetjon 1862 (died in 6 months)
Wenzel J.-1868
Mary-1871 in Chicago, Ill.
Minnie- 1876-in Indianapolis, In.

The family migrated to the United States by getting passage on the German Sailing steamship named "THE NEW YORK" in those days this trip took 17 days by steam ship going from Hamburg, Germany to New York City,USA. upon arrival they were processed at Castle Garden a pre- Ellis Island. The arrival was on July 5th, 1864.

They were shown as Austrian on their passports because they were officially from the Austrian- Hungarian Monarchy ,The passports showed their names as KOTSKA.

They went to Watertown by train from New York, then traveled down the Great Lakes to Chicago, Il. where they settled.

Wenzel and family enjoyed the social atmosphere in Chicago by going to concerts, skating and enjoyed the new "Palmer Marble Palace" and it new gas lighting. Business opportunities were numerous and financial help was plentiful, if a man knew his trade and was willing to work hard at it. Wenzel had 11 in his family and was good at his trade.

History records show on the 7th of October, 1871 that the weather was hot and dry on the day the first fire started in Chicago which Wenzels business was on the southern boundary on Van Buren Street, this fire continued , with all the death, destruction and homeless people. This was an unimaginable disaster and it left several families out of housing and businesses in ashes. Not to be overlooked the death and injuries were almost not countable.

Frederick Dietz, from Indianapolis offered Wenzel help to re-establish his business in Southern Indianapolis, The Wenzel Kautsky family picked up and moved to a New home in South Indianapolis, Ind..

They located in July 1874, Wenzel worked as a superintendant with the "Indianapolis Molding and Picture frame Co." but by 1877 he had formed the "Kautsky & Co." with F. Dietz and F. Ballweg as partners.

During these days the "Mule Cars" rolled along Washington Street on a schedule, and charged 5 cents for adults, and children were free.

The name was changed to "Wenzel Kautsky & sons" in 1875and was located at 600-Madison Ave. there his sons Edward was the book keeper, Joseph was a carver, and Wenzel was shown as Superintendant.

The family moved to 172-East Morris Street, then to 400- Madison Ave., next to the plant.

The city directory (R.L.Polk) shows for the first time a Frank Kautsky working for Wenzels business as a laborer, then later as a gilder. He had been sponsored by Anna and Wenzel. (Frank and Wenzel's daddies were brothers)

He remained active in Gymnastic club and social clubs He entertained many well known Czech musicians at his home, and had made the wine that was enjoyed at the gathering, and for many years he held ice cream socials until his death on November 29th, 1893 at age 65.

His funeral at Crown hill Cemetery was held on December the 2nd 1893 and the snow was so high people had difficulty getting out of the carriages at the cemetery to attend the 2:00 PM ceremony.

There is a section dedicated to his family and a huge monument that cost $300.00 at that time.

Submitted by Frank Henry Kautsky ,III with excerpts from his families Story by Virginia Bryce et al

Harrison Wright Family

Clara A. Kautsky born to Parents Frank V. Kautsky and Louisa A. Muegge-Kautsky in Indianapolis ,Ind. she later married a farm boy by the name of Harrison Wright.

I remember that about the time it was cold that Clara (my Great Aunt Molly) always had sheep babies thatís mothers wouldn't take care of them in cardboard boxes on the edge of her furnace grates.

Her kitchen was always smelling good for she was the Baker of the family and could bake "Cross cut buns that would melt in your mouth and all her pastries were a thing to behold as all the family enjoyed them.

Together they ran a farm, where they acquired acreage and enlarged the farm until their son Oren A. Wright ,born August 27th, 1911 could take over this farm which had by account some 600 acres plus.

Oren was a good farmer and was a good manager, and a hard worker. He married a Ida Ray, also a good manager. They had a child Newton H. Wright, aka "Noodie".

Oren upon his death had acquired a vast number of accomplishments as follows:

A large herd of cows that produced quality milk, raised sheep that were State Fair Grade, include show sheep that he introduced to the state.
For many years he was the President of the Indiana State Fair.
Served as Chairman of the Johnson County Republican Committee for 22 years.
Past President of the Dorset Sheep Association.
Had produced a number of Championship Sheep.
Was past President of the Indiana Dairy Association.
Was the Director of the Indiana 4-H Foundation
Past President of the Johnson County Fair Board.
Member of the Greenwood Lions Club
Director of the Union Bank and Trust Co. of Franklin, In. for 15 years.
Received an Honorary Alumni Award for his distinguished work in Agriculture Field.
Was a member of the ODD fellows Lodge.
Was a Mason in lodge 814, member of Scottish Rite, Murat Shrine, as well as The Eastern Star.
Was a member of The Mt. Pleasant Christ Church

Oren passed away May the 11th of 1980 shortly after his mother passed away.

He and his family make a big footprint in Indiana's history in the Agricultural area, and helped make Johnson County a better place to live, and helped young adults to learn the agricultural importance in the State of Indiana.

Researched and written by Frank Henry Kautsky ,III. September, 2009.

Peter Stuck( 1830-1863)

A successful farmer in Marion County (Perry Township), He was born there on February the 15th, 1830. to Parents Daniel and Sarah E. (Demott) Stuck, Daniel was the son of Sgt. John George's daughter Mary (George Washington's drummer boy during the Revolutionary War-buried in Round Hill Cemetery-In.) and her husband Peter.

The Stuck family is reported to have German descent in their back ground in Marion County, Indiana grand father named Peter is reported to have served in the War of 1812.

Daniel and Sarah were Married in Kentucky and later moved to Indiana, they had eight sons and three daughters

Mary who married a Davis Meyers, Martha Jane who married a Preston Hankins of Southport, Ind. William C. of Indianapolis., Peter ,

Peter was an example of devotion to his family, he one of eleven children himself, he was born with a drive to work hard and complete his family obligations.

He was 15 when his father died leaving him to help his mother and siblings, some of which had disabilities. for example William could not walk but had to crawl, Peter learned that William could go to a Cobblers School and there in learn a trade to help sustain himself, another brother was blind living be drinking Milk and coffee-lived to be 64 yrs old, His mother died at approx. 68 years old.

Peter had his good health and was thrift with his earnings and in spite of these challenges he never acquired any wealth for his own family.

He was wise beyond belief, he would lease land then rent it out, allowing him to eventually purchase it, in 1861 this was 167 acres in the beginning he later added 80 more acres, most of which he cultivated and cleared the stands of woods himself.

He married a Ms. Cather Elston in 1854,the daughter of David and Sarah Admire)Elston they had one daughter Sarah, shortly here after she died in 1862.

He remarried a Mary Nelson Milburn in 1862, in Kentucky she was a Christian Lady who had the same hard work ethics as Peter, they produced 9 children, six sons and three daughters;

Rosa who married Charles Scott
Alice married Wilbur Eubanks
Harry and Orval died
Lee married Daisy Tingle
Peter married Ella Frazier
Edward married Cora Wycoff
David married Stella Kegley
Cora lives in Indianapolis.
Frank married Grace Adams

Both Mr. and Mrs. Stuck passed away in 1904.

Mr. Stuck was a Republican and served as he road commissioner for several turns, and was an Odd Fellow n his local Lodge.

More highly thought of man and family , from his neighbors and business contacts and children have never been found.

This is the biography of my Great Great Grandfather, Peter Stuck and his life and family in the south side of Indianapolis, Indiana, (Marion County).

By his Great-Great Grandson Frank Henry Kautsky ,III Material gathered thru his Commemorative biographical Record September, 2009.