ALDRED. The following record of the early history of the Aldred family is from data obtained from the old Delaware home of the family.

(I) The American founders of the family, William and Catherine (Robinson) Aldred, and several children sailed from Liverpool, England, in the good ship “Pennsylvania,” Capt. David Harding, Aug. 26, 1794. They arrived in Philadelphia the same year, and settled near Wilmington, Del., on a farm. In England, William Aldred, who was a dyer by trade, had been a member of the Ancient Guild of Dyers, and in America followed his trade in conjunction with his agricultural operations. A complete list of his children is here given: Richard, born May 22, 1784, died Oct. 23, 1786, in England; Sarah, born June 18, 1785, died Oct. 25, 1787, in England; John A., born Aug. 11, 1786; Lydia, born March 8, 1788, died in America, Jan. 18, 1798; Mary, born Sept. 24, 1790; Ellen, born April 18, 179-, William Aston, born in Wilmington, Del., Jan. 11, 1797; Sarah, born Sept. 7, 1801, and Thomas J., born Oct. 3, 1803. Other records of these children are as follows: Ellen married John Day; Sarah married Adam Talley, and one married a Mr. Grub. The marriage of William Aldred, Sr., to Catherine Robinson occurred in England, July 5, 1783. He died in Delaware, March 13, 1835, and she Oct. 25, 1835, aged seventy-five years, eight months, eleven days.

(II) John A. Aldred, son of William and Catherine (Robinson) Aldred, was born in Manchester, England, Aug. 11, 1786. He was a boy of eight years when he came with his parents to America, was reared a farmer, and married Mary Talley. Her brother, Major Talley, married a sister of John Aldred, and removed to Indiana, thence to Ringgold, Iowa, at an early day, where his descendants are still living. Leaving Delaware May 12, 1835, John A. Aldred removed to near Thornville, Perry Co., Ohio, where he cleared up a farm of 160 acres. Here he made a good home and farm, and erected good buildings. He was a substantial pioneer of Perry county, a man of retiring disposition, and a good citizen of straightforward and honest character. Mr. Aldred, wife and family were members of the Methodist Church. He died on his farm in Perry county, in September, 1852, his wife having passed away the preceding April, and a daughter, Rebecca, died unmarried, the same year. John Aldred was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Aldred were the parents of the following children: William M.; Adam; John D.; Thomas; Sarah, who married Dr. Bryson; Rebecca; Catherine; Ellen; Mary, who married John Woltmire; and Eliza, all of these children, except Eliza, being born in Delaware, and she in Perry county, Ohio.

(III) William M. Aldred was born Dec. 28, 1817, in Delaware. His family records are copied from his family Bible. He married March 12, 1840, in Perry county, Ohio, Mary R. Henderson, daughter of James Henderson, a pioneer farmer of Perry county. Mr. Henderson was of Scotch stock, and was a substantial farmer. His children, besides Mrs. William M. Aldred, were: Nancy, who married George Leslie; James; John; Hinman, and Joseph. Mr. Henderson lived to be eighty years old. He made a trip on horseback to Indiana from Ohio to see his daughter, and returned. This was in 1850, and at that time Mr. Henderson was anything but a young man. After marriage Mr. Aldred and his wife lived on a farm in Perry county for about nine years, and in 1849 came to Indiana. He made the journey with two two-horse wagons, the family camping out at night part of the time, and at times sleeping in the homes of settlers. There were then the following children: Sarah Ann, born Jan. 26, 1841; Marion, born Nov. 29, 1842; Emma E., born Jan. 19, 1846; and in Indiana was born Mary C., Jan. 16, 1851. Mr. Aldred settled in Wayne township. His father had come out previously and purchased 160 acres of heavily timbered land, and this he gave to William M. and John, another son who had come out with the party. William sold fifteen acres to his brother John, retained sixty-five acres and bought forty acres adjoining which had thirty acres cleared, a good orchard and a log cabin built upon it, and this gave them a home and a good start. They raised a fine crop on the new land, which produced well from the start. Mr. Aldred cleared up his land from the heavy timber of black walnut, oak, poplar, etc., much of which had to be burned, the best being split up for rails for the fence. There was a saw mill on Stony Creek,within one-half mile of them, and they had some of the black walnut sawed up into timber, from which they built a house, the weather-boarding and sash and doors all being of black walnut. Mr. Aldred was a pioneer local preacher in the Methodist Church, in which he was also a class leader. He aided in building and establishing the Methodist Church in his community, and in building the schoolhouses there. In politics he was an old-line Whig, and later became one of the original Republicans. His wife died Oct. 26, 1860, and he married (second), March 19, 1861, Paulina McKinzey. They had one child, Amanda L., who died young. Mr. Aldred died on his farm Oct. 30, 1866.

(IV) MARION ALDRED, son of William M., and Mary (Henderson), was born in Perry county, Ohio, Nov. 29, 1842. He was reared on a farm in Wayne township, Hamilton county, Ind., and he attended the district school, held in a log cabin, for a short time. He worked on farm during the summer months until he was twenty-one years old, attending school in the winter months. He thus obtained a good common school education, and became very proficient in arithmetic, his teacher, Rev. Michael Black, being an expert in mental mathematics, which was practically taught in those days. After his school days Mr. Aldred continued to work on the home farm. His mother died when he was about sixteen years old, and his father in 1866, and he then took the home farm to work. In April, 1864, he enlisted in Noblesville, in Company B, 136th Ind. V. I., to serve 100 days. His services took him to Murfreesboro, Tenn., where he had several skirmishes with guerrillas, and he was honorably discharged at the end of his term of enlistment in Indianapolis, returning then to Hamilton county. Mr. Aldred began in his young manhood, to trade and deal in stock, and he shipped his first car load in 1876, and in that year attended the Centennial at Philadelphia. He followed the stock business exclusively for about sixteen years, being very successful. He bought more land, owning a fine farm of 186 acres, with good buildings, and then purchased another farm two miles north of Noblesville, consisting of 260 acres. In 1879 he located in Noblesville, and one year later bought and improved his present residence. In March, 1893, he was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Noblesville, and was elected president on its organization. He is a very substantial citizen. In his political opinions Mr. Aldred is a stanch Republican. In his religious faith he is a Methodist and his fraternal relations are with the K. P. of Noblesville.

In February, 1865, when only twenty-two years old, Mr. Aldred married, in Wayne township, Mary J. Ford, who died in 1861, 1869, the mother of one son, James William. He married (second), Feb. 13, 1873, in Arcadia, Ind., Margaret R.Gentry, born May 7, 1844, daughter of Thomas P. and Paulina (Wright) Gentry. To this union was born one child: Nellie Idonia, born Jan. 29, 1875, in Wayne township, is a graduate of the high school; she married, June 16, 1897, William E. Axline, a druggist, son of Dr. J. A. Axline, and has one child, Margaret C. James W., born Dec. 28, 1869, of his father’s first marriage, was educated in the public schools, including the high school at Noblesville, and for seven years he held the position of bookkeeper in the First National Bank, but he has since engaged in stock farming, and is now established in that business on a farm north of Noblesville; in Fortville, Madison county, he married Maude Watts, and has one son, Marion W., born May 7, 1905.

The Gentry family to which Mrs. Marion Aldred belongs, was early planted in North Carolina. Richard Gent her grandfather, was born April 30, 1773, and lived in Guilford county, N. C., where he was the owner of 600 acres of land. He built and operated a flour mill, and was also a slave owner. He died May 14, 1831. He married April 19, 1796, Rebecca L. Barnett, who was born March 8, 1779, and who died at Bloomington, Ind., Nov. 18, 1858. Their children, according to records copied from the old family Bible, were: William B., born March 20, 1797; Nancy, Oct. 5, 1798; Eliza, Sept.20, 1800; James, Oct. 2, 1802; Ira G., June 26, 1804; Harriet, Dec. 20, 1806; Richard, Dec. 3, 1808; Frances C., Feb. 4, 1810; Joel A., June 10, 1813; Thomas P., Oct. 30, 1815; Rebecca L., April 26, 1820; and John F., Oct. 26, 1821.

Thomas P. Gentry, son of Richard, born Oct. 30, 1815, in Guilford county, N. C., received a common school education, and then engaged in farming. He remained in Guilford county for two years after his marriage, and then accompanied his wife’s people to Indiana, settling first in Hamilton county, and a short time afterward going to Marion county, where he settled on a part of the land owned by his father-in-law. Here he cleared up his farm, made a good homestead, and here died April 30, 1854. In Guilford county, N. C., Mr. Gentry married Pauline Wright, who was born June 26, 1818, daughter of Rev. James and Ruhamah (McEnnally) Wright. She died July 6, 1863, in Marion county. They were both members of the Methodist Church, and Mr. Gentry was one of the founders of the Methodist Church at Allisonville, Ind. Their children were: Eliza R., born Feb 25, 1839 (in Hamilton county); James T., Dec. 12, 1840; William, Aug. 12, 1842 (in Marion county); Margaret R., May 7, 1844 John W., Oct. 15, 1846; Mary E., Jan. 3, 1849; Joseph H., Dec. 8, 1850; and Pauline Isabella, April 3, 1853.

Rev. James Wright was one of the early local pioneer Methodist ministers. He was of Irish birth, and as a small, boy came to America with relatives. He came to Indiana as a pioneer, and entered 600 acres of land at Castleton, ten miles north of Indianapolis, where he established his home, clearing up his farm in the woods. He was one of the substantial farmers and at his death left all his children land. He was one of the faders of Methodism in Indiana, and his brother, Rev. J. F. Wright, was also a pioneer Methodist minister, and the editor of the Western Christian Advocate, in Cincinnati.

FRANK EMERSON CARLISLE, of Mooresville, is a citizen of Morgan county who has ever taken pride in the standing of his community, and has shown many substantial evidences of his intelligent citizenship. His town and county, on the other hand, have every reason to be proud of this native son, and he has received many marks of honor at the hands of his fellow citizens. His efforts in behalf of the public welfare have received cordial support and appreciation, from the best class of residents in the section, and if he has given liberally of his time and means to various objects intended to raise moral and intellectual standards, he may feel well repaid for the outlay in the success of his enterprises. He has been successful in business, conducting a furniture and undertaking establishment which would do credit to one of the larger cities. But he has found time for public service, and for the promotion of various causes which have appealed to him as worthy of the attention and sympathy of thinking men. His life has been busy and useful, and lightened with the rewards of well-directed labor.

Mr. Carlisle was born in Mooresville, Aug. 8, 1862, son of William Carlisle, a native of North Carolina, born May 10, 1805. William Carlisle’s father entering the service as a soldier in the war of 1812, the son was early obliged to care for himself, and at the age of fifteen years he was working at the blacksmith’s trade. He came to Indiana in 1833, first settling near Monrovia, in Morgan county. About one year afterward he removed to Mooresville, same county. His first wife, Lovey Jackson, lived only a few years, and he was afterward married to Delilah Dorrell, on Sept. 10, 1843. Mr. Carlisle was a man of very decided traits of character. He followed his convictions of right, but while differing sometimes from his friends he never forsook them, and was exceptionally faithful in all of his associations, especially in the church. In the year 1839 he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Mooresville, of which he was a very active member, serving as a class leader about thirty years, and as steward for a number of years. He was always ready to perform any duty that was required of him in the church, and was much devoted to the stated means of grace. His death occurred Oct. 26, 1877, at which time he was the eldest male citizen of the village except the founder, Samuel Moore. His wife, Delilah Carlisle, the daughter of Redman and Elizabeth Dorrell was born near Cincinnati, Ohio, July 7, 1819, and was but a child when her parents removed to Morgan county, Ind., settling on a farm near Martinsville. Here they remained some years, then going still farther west, to Missouri. At the age of fourteen she came to Mooresville, where for the first six years following she made her home in the family of Samuel Moore, founder of the town. After her marriage, Sept. the 1843, to William Carlisle, she stood by his side for thirty-four years, through the trials prevalent in life. Then came the husband’s death, and her subsequent struggles as the head of the family perhaps took the bloom, as they will, from her face. But what was that in the brave efforts of devoted, untiring love for her family? The world has much to say of its grand old men, and something comparatively of its grand old women, but attention is called to the one who quietly, modestly and full of courage gave her life, her all, to the children she had borne and most tenderly nurtured, unremittingly, through many years, proving herself equal to the task of caring for them. When years brought physical weakness and dependence to her, she did not sigh for the appreciation of those for whom she had spent years of toil and sacrifice. Their expressions and tributes of love came to her to gladden her heart in the weary wandering down age’s vale of tears. For two years the sands of life were gradually running lower, until, on the eighty-fifth recurrence of her birthday, the weary wheels of life stood still, while the spirit departed. Her children were dear to her, but in answer to the call she passed in peace from the land of her sojourn to the land of her abode.

Frank Emerson Carlisle attended the schools of the town where he was born until the death of his father, in 1877. Then, at the age of fifteen years, feeling the necessity of helping his mother to bear the burdens in the struggle of life, he started out to do something to repay his dear old parents for the care and good training they had given him. His love for horses and outdoor work up to this time attracted him to the farm. He cared for a physician’s horses, afterward working on different farms and teaming. At the age of twenty-four years he went to Omaha, Nebr., working there one summer for a contractor, as inspector on improved streets. Returning home, he commenced the transfer business, in which he met with success, following this for six years, after which he sold his teams and wagons to his brother. Taking the money he had accumulated, and what he received for his outfit, he invested it in the furniture business in Anderson, Ind. After being in Anderson and New Castle about one year he sold out his business interests there, returning to his home town, and establishing a furniture and undertaking business which, as previously mentioned, would do credit to any of the larger cities. He erected the first business block with a large plate glass front, and had put down the first cement walk in the town — all indications of the progressive spirit which has characterized all his undertakings. His enterprise and business ability made his business prosper from the start. Losses never discouraged him, they only stimulated him to further effort. He has maintained a place among the foremost business men of the town to the present.

As previously intimated, Mr. Carlisle has had important relations to the community aside from his business interests. In political sentiment he is a Republican. He was treasurer of the town of Mooresville; in November, 1894, he was elected trustee of his township, assuming the duties of that office in January, 1905, and holding it five years and three months, after which he was elected as a member of the school board of the town, holding that office eighteen months; he resigned to take the office of county commissioner, to which he had been elected for three years in November, 1902, taking office Jan. 1, 1903, and was elected for the second term of three years in November, 1905, serving six years on the board of commissioners of Morgan county. His special efforts have always been directed toward promoting the cause of public education, and many of the most notable improvements in that line made in the last twenty years have been set on foot by him. He was one of the first trustees in the State to advance the idea of centralizing the township schools, which was made possible by transferring the pupils in a wagon from one district to another. While serving as trustee he was among the first to grasp the idea of combining the township and town schools in one, so as to enable towns of certain size to build and maintain modern school buildings. He even went before the Legislature and helped to get an amendment to the proportion of population, so as to benefit Mooresville, his home town, which was afterward successful in combining the schools of Mooresville and Brown township, now having one of the finest and best school buildings in the State outside of the largest cities.

Mr. Carlisle has always been instrumental in advancing the cause of temperance and while commissioner of his county was outspoken in his opinion as to the fitness of applicants for saloon licenses. He asserted that no man who would engage in the saloon business was of good moral character — which fact should be sufficient to bar him from receiving a license — and said he “would like to see the photograph of the court that would say he was.” He stood by this conviction and remained in office to see his county cleared of every saloon in it. He never was defeated for any office for which he was a candidate, and he holds the esteem of all who know him. Mr. Carlisle is a member of the M. E. Church, and fraternally of the Free Masons, Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias.

In 1895 Mr. Carlisle was married to Ivalue Lawrence, oldest daughter of Thomas E. and Delfina Lawrence, and they have had these children: Irene Lucile, born Aug. 1, 1896; Milford Emerson, born Dec. 10, 1897; and Donald Dorrell, born Jan. 11, 1905. They live on East High street, and have one of the most modern homes in Mooresville, one of the nicest little cities in the State.

SAMUEL EVINGSTON EARP, M. S., M.D., of lndianapolis, has during his quarter of a century of professional life experienced almost every phase of a physician's usefulness. He has won reputation as a general practitioner, as au educator, as a public servant in the field of his chosen work, and as a contributor to medical literature and research. His success in all these lines is ample compensation for the years of hard work which lie behind his accomplishments. He began modestly, at the close of the regular student period, as a teacher in his alma mater and in regular practice. As his prospect widened new interests came in which a man of progressive and helpful spirit could not conscientiously neglect. His resposibilities increased rapidly, but not too rapidly for his energetic spirit to grasp and master them, and though his best efforts have been put forth with the object of helping others he has forged ahead with his ambitions until he is now in the front rank of the eminent physicians and surgeons of Indianapolis.

Dr. Earp was born Dec. 19, 1858, in Lebanon, Ill. and is of English descent, being a son of Joseph and Margaret E. (Walls) Earp, natives respectively, of Derby and London, England. The Warp family was lonng settled in England, and traced its ancestrv back through Lord Melbourne and Oliver Cromwell's time. The Doctor's paternal and materrnal grandfathers died in England, and the latter owned a landed estate, his name is now lost to the memory of the Doctor.

Joseph Earp was a cloth cutter during his early life, in England. When still a young man he came to Amcrica and became a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, serving in Southern Illinois. He died in 1898 at the age of seventy-five years, long surviving his wife, who passed away in 1875, aged fifty-five years. Of their four children the Doctor is now the only survivor. Rev. Joseph Earp was one of the preacher friends of Abraham Lincoln, being well known in southern Illinois, in what is known as "Egypt." His influence was such that he was frequently called into the councils of Mr. Lincoln and his friends, among his associates being Gen. John A. Logan, Governor Oglesby, Lyman Trumbull, Gen John M. Palmer, and a number of other men of national reputation. After the assassination of President Lincoln, Rev. Joseph Earp delivered the memorial address in the chapel of McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill., and the audience was so large that only a portion could gain admittance. The address was spirited, patriotic and eloquent, such as a high-spirited Union man, unless very brave indeed, would have hesitated to deliver at that period.

Samuel E. Earp lived with his father at the various place to which he was assigned as pastor, and obtained his literary training in the high school at Alton, Ill., at Shurtleff College, in Upper Alton, and in McKendree College, at Lebanon, Ill., from which latter institution he was graduated in 1879. Meantime he had commenced studying medicine in 1874 under Dr. C. M. Smith, of Alton, Ill., and in 1879 studied under Dr. Gonsalvo C. Smythe, of Greencastle, Ind. He was graduated from the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis in 1882, and at once began practising in Indianapolis, where he has remained to the present day, achieving fame and fortune in the calling of his choice.

The year of his graduation Dr. Earp became a member of the Faculty of Central College, with which he continued to be identified in an educational capacity until 1902. He was first engaged as Professor of Chemistry and Toxicology, later was in the department of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, and in 1899 was elected Professor of the Principles and Practice of Medicine and Sanitary Science. He was secretary and Dean of the college and was re-elected for four terms. His work as an educator has not, however, been confined to this institution. For seven years he was Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics in the Central College of Dentistry; he is one of the corps of instructors of St. Vincent's Training School for Nurses, his subject being the Practice of Medicine and Dietetics; and in July, 1906, he was elected Professor of the Practice of Medicine in the State College of Physicians and Surgeons, in affiliation with the University of Indiana.

The Doctor's public services have been of the kind that require not only wide profes-sional knowledge but also kindliness of heart and good judgment in the discharge of the duties attaching to the various positions he has filled. For two years he was chemist of the Health Department of Indianapolis; for four years he was a member of the Board of Health of the city, and acted as the executive officer of that body, to which he was unanimously elected, by both Democrats and Republicans; later he became a member of the Board of Public Health and Charities; filled out an unexpired term as police surgeon, and later was elected police and fire surgeon for two consecutive terms.

Dr. Earp is on the consulting staff of the Indianapolis City Dispensary, the Indianapolis City Hospital, the Protestant Deaconess Hospital and St. Vincent's Hospital. He is a contributor to a number of medical journals, and is quoted in several textbooks for original work in chemistry. His services to the profession outside of his work as a teacher have been considerable, especially as editor of professional journals. He was first editor, of the "Medical and Surgical Monitor," which was inaugurated in June, 1898, and associated with him were Drs. Joseph Eastman, Allison Maxwell, L. L. Todd, G. V. Woollen, and others. In November, 1903, Dr. Earp resigned his position as editor of the "Medical and Surgical Monitor" and became editor of the "Central States Medical Magazine," and when, in November, 1905, the two journals were amalgamated under the title of the "Central States Medical Monitor," Dr. Earp became the editor-in-chief, with Drs. S. P. Scherer and S. C. Norris as associate editors. This monthly journal is one of the leading medical publications, and has for its collaborators and contributors some of the most prominent men in the United States. Its contents are freely quoted by the best medical journals.

The Doctor is a member of the Indianapolis Medical Society, and the Indiana State Medical Association. In fraternal connection he is a Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias, being prominent in both organizations. He is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, and a member of Mural Temple of the Mystic Shrine, at Indianapolis; in the Knights of Pythias he belongs to the Uniform Rank, is brigade surgeon, with the rank of colonel, is past chancellor of Capitol City Lodge, No. 97, and has been representative to the Grand Lodge five times. In political connection he is a member of the Republican party.

On June 29, 1898, Dr. Earp married Miss Evelyn M. Byers, daughter of David A. and Emma (Sheets) Byers, and this union has been graced with two sons, Evanson B. and Leon S. Mrs. Earp is a member of the Meridian Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The family occupy an elegant home at No. I121 North Illinois street, and the Doctor's office is at No. 24/12 Kentucky avenue.

The opinion of Dr. J. A. Sutcliffe, one of the Doctor's friends and admirers, will be of interest at the close of this brief sketch of his career: "For a quarter of a century I have watched with pride and pleasure the intellectual achievements of Dr. S. E. Earp. He was born of a will and determination which knows no failure, of an energy and devotion to effort which is well nigh irresistible; and with it all with a due appreciation and regard for what is fair and right toward his fellow-men and the medical profession. In the many positions of trust and honor which he has occupied his work has been characterized by integrity and justice. As a writer and scholar he is a man of exceptional merits. Many practitioners and former students watch with eagerness for his editorials and other articles as the latest exponents of medical literature. As a teacher in medicine, his clear analytical and philosophical mind fits him pre-eminently, for his work and easily adorns the chair which he occupies."

Dr. William N. Wishard writes: "Dr. Earp is a man who has been regarded as a physician of ability from the time he first graduated in medicine. During the past quarter of a century he has been recognized as one of the leading men in general medicine and chemistry, to which departments he has given a great deal of attention. He is well and favorably known as a teacher and editor and a genial, pleasant gentleman."

The venerable Dr. W. H. Wishard says: "Dr. Samuel Earp has always sustained himself well as a reputable physician, a gentleman and citizen."

John H. Holliday, a distinguished financier of Indianapolis and founder of the Indianapolis News, of which he was for many years the successful editor, writes of Dr. Earp under date of Jan. 7, 1907: "Dr. Earp is nothing if not energetic and thorough. As a student of medicine at Greencastle he helped to support himself by corresponding for the Indianapolis News, the editor of which marked and appreciated his services. He would have made a good newspaper man, in fact he has that all around combination of good qualities that would have brought him success in any calling he might have tried. But he chose to be a doctor and he has made a good one, having steadily gained in the estimation of his patients, the public and his professional brothers, so that he now holds an enviable reputation and rank in the profession. But it took work, hard work, to achieve it, and the reward has been fairly won. His career has been one characteristic of our American life, but none the less is it a shining example for all young men."