Margaret Patsy Moore, is the 11th child of Charlotte Hattery and the third child of William Moore.

When Margaret was small, her mother tried to teach her about her family. She carefully explained to young Margaret that her grandmother was a Dunkard and her grandfather was an Indian. Margaret promptly went to school told them her grandfather was an Indian and her grandmother was a Drunkard. An episode not greatly appreciated by Grandma.

Mom enjoys taking about her childhood and those who were close to her."I went to the old Lincoln school, in Rochester, that was the first and second grade, then to Washington in Plymouth. Marvin and I flunked the second grade, me because they had Marvin behind me and I always had to see him. I think, I spent that whole year screwing my neck around to see where he was at. So I flunked the second grade.Then we went to the second grade again in Plymouth at the old Washington School, then Lincoln Jr. High and the Lincoln High School. In Rochester they took us to the park, and they had that bumpy slide. Marvin went down it and he fell and he was crying and they had to carry him over to a bench and set him down. A little while later I fell on my back and knocked the wind out of me, they had to pick me up and carry me over and set me on a bench next to him. Another thing the school used to do was they'd take you for a walk and at Rochester I remember we went for a walk and looked at flowers, and pussy willows and stuff. I don't remember taking walks in Plymouth. They had monkey bars at Plymouth that they didn't have at Rochester and we always liked to play on the monkey bars."

"Marvin was always beating me up when we were kids. He'd pound me on the back. Mrs. Relos said one time she thought he was going to cripple me. It wasn't until I was seventeen that I finally got mad. I grabbed a broom and run him down the street passed the bridge almost to the four corners hitting him every step of the way, Whack Whack. That's the last time he ever hit me."

"The neighborhood kids always played together. There was a big field behind us where we played soft ball. One time our skating rink burned and they put a tent on the lot and a wood floor and that was our skating for a whole summer till they built a new rink. Then the kids got together, we didn't have television. The kids would get together and we'd play games like Red Rover, Red Rover won't you come over and Hide and Seek, Blind Man's Bluff, and Soccer."

"Some summers the Medicine Shows would come back into that field. With the Medicine Shows they'd have little shows like cartoons. The elixir they sold was a dollar a bottle and it was a cure all for everything but I think there was alcohol in it. I think, if you'd drink enough you could get drunk off that elixir. Mom always used Lydia Pinkham's Elixir."

"The Rex Theater was on the east side of main street. When you went to that theater you sat with your feet in the seat cause there was rats and you didn't want rats running over your feet."

"Mom was a good mother and Dad was a good father, we didn't have a lot of money and we didn't have a fancy house or a lot of clothes but we always had food in our stomach and we always knew we were cared for. There was no question about that. Dad thought we were the best thing he had. What more could a kid want? In those days a lot of people didn't have things. A lot of people had outside johns and a pump you had to prime. In the winter time you had to pour warm water down it to get your water. The house in Plymouth was the first one with electricity, the rest had coal oil lamps, old irons that you heated on the stove. I could iron the hankies and Mom ironed the rest. The first washing machine we had was in Plymouth and the wringer had a release to it and I got my hair caught in the wringer and my head was going closer and closer to the thing. My head hit the release and it let go of my hair. Otherwise I may have been snatched bald headed or something."

"Mom had a way of sneaking up on us. She was a real quiet walker. If we were doing something she'd catch us. One time Renee and I were late coming back from the show and she was out by the road watching for us. We came down the street and Mom was standing behind a tree but a truck came down the street and the lights illuminated her face before she stepped out and scared the daylights out of us both."

"Poor Mom always had to put up with embarrassing stuff. She got to where she wouldn't go to the store with Dad anymore the men at the meat market liked to get him going and when he'd get going he'd get to cussing. Marvin and I would go back there and they say Mr. Moore have you got your grand kids with you today? and he'd start cussing. Mom wouldn't go with him anymore. She's let him go to the store and get the groceries. He'd embarrass her so. She was religious. He wasn't a bad man. Just a typical bachelor. I guess he just didn't know how to behave around women. He was 13 years older than Mom and didn't marry until he was 52."

"Dad was pretty much of a jolly kind of guy, he could talk to just about anybody. He didn't take any bull off anyone."

" I guess we were about eight when we moved to Plymouth. Then he worked at Morse's Lumber company and took care of the furnace there for a long time, that's where I'd go meet him. I wanted roller-skates and I met him at work and on the way home, I told him I'd have Mom divorce him if he didn't get me those roller-skates. We made a detour down town and he got me the roller-skates. We got home and Mom really balled him out because he got those skates."

"When Dad was alive, I can remember a lot of good times. It seems like life changed after he died and it was never the same. Like I said, he kept things pretty well peaceful around home, he didn't let people come in and stir up trouble so everything was kept pretty even. After that they could come in an say anything they want. If they didn't like him, they'd come in and talk about him in front of us. It was never Mom, it was usually her family who said things. She never stood up to anyone. People would tell you I'm more like Mom than any of the other kids. If I can say I'm as good as my Mom, I'm pretty good."

"I think maybe she was waiting for me to be married before she died. She was sick for a long time, there was a lot of things wrong with her and she always hung in there. She always wanted to see me married and taken care of before she died and she did. She died six months after we were married. I guess she accomplished what she wanted there."

As Margaret was beginning her new life, as the wife of Roland Carr and they began to build their family, many major events were effecting the world. Dwight D. Eisenhower was president followed by John F. Kenneddy. The Civil Rights Movement was underway, Segregation gave way to Integration, President Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. were assassinated. Space flight was expanding our horizons and man walked on the moon.

All the while, Margaret and Roland went about their business of ensuring our family's place in history.

About the same time, Elvis Presley "The King of Rock and Roll" was entering the army with the full attention of the world's media, Roberta Kay, the first child of Margaret and Roland was being born, in South Bend, Indiana at Memorial Hospital.

Two years later, a son, Roy Allen joined the family.

In August 1961, while the world was coping with the sudden appearance of the Berlin Wall. A abomination that separated families, and divided a nation for the next 28 years, Margaret and Roland were preparing for the birth of their third child, and second daughter Robin Charlotte.

During these years, we lived at 55194 Sundown Road, South Bend, Indiana. It was a small house converted from a garage. The yard was large but had many sand burrs, the driveway way cinders. There was a large Weeping Willow tree between us and the neighbor's garden. Joe lived next door. He was a kindly man who had the most tempting strawberry patch. If you knocked on the door, he'd give you whatever you wanted. Problem was, everyone knows the best berries are swiped. We were frequently in trouble for sneaking into his garden. It was a time of lemonade stands, a stray dog named "smokey", (some sort of collie mix, I think), bicycles and penny candy. My first camping trip was in the back yard with a blanket over the clothes line. There was a whole pack of kids on that street, so there was always someone to argue with or to play "Barbie". I lost the head to one of mine but it didn't bother us any. She worked just as well without it. Imagination, ran rampant. Every year just after the Wizard of Oz aired on TV there would be a pack of kids, skipping down the street singing "We're off to see the wizard". Dorothy and Toto never had so much fun.

We had the only outhouse on the street and every fall we'd go out one morning and find it pushed over on it's side. Dad used lots of colorful words those days.

Dad trimmed trees for a living in the early years. In 1958 he fell - "Tree Worker Hospitalized after Plunge -- South Bend Tribune Roland Carr, 24, of 55194 Sundown Road., Warren Twp, was taken to Memorial Hospital shortly before noon today after a 30 foot plunge from a tree he was trimming in the front lawn of a home of Jacob Miller, 2345 Lawrence St., Ardmore.

Carr suffering from back and head injury, fell while attempting to change positions from one limb to another. He had loosened a safety rope to make the change.

St. Joseph's Sheriff's Deputies Joseph Forrest and Alonzo Poindexter said Carr was being employed by the H.W. Moore Co., tree trimmers, when the accident happened. Carr was taken to the hospital in a private ambulance."

Unfortunately, Mom didn't mark the exact date on the newspaper clipping, and now no one remembers. Fortunately, Dad recovered nicely and the only lasting sign of his fall was nerve damage to his scalp. As a result of this, he kept his hair cut almost to the scalp for the rest of his life. These days he's right in style. My son Randy and his friends came in just the other day with the same haircuts.

Dad later went to work at Bendix Corp, where he made breakshoes on the night shift until his retirement. Mom remained at home and tried to exercise some control over us heathens. I swear, I can still hear her say "Roberta, act like a lady". I guess, it must have worked as none of us are convicts or weirdo's.

Just as they finally got all their children into school, Margaret discovered she was expecting yet again. Roland Francis, Jr. their fourth child, was born October 1st 1967.

It was just about this time, we moved to LaPaz, Indiana. We lived in a white farm style house on US Highway 6.

Poor Mom, she made a great target for obnoxious children. She believed everything, and was easily shocked. Why she didn't kill at least one of us, I'll never know. Dad on the other hand always knew everything. I still don't know who his sources were. Dad is more flamboyant than Mom and he enjoys making people laugh. When I was about 14, he lost the front teeth out of his dentures. Being short on money, as usual, he repaired them himself, he bought the pink stuff to repair the gums and built teeth out of it. I was horrified. Life was over and I'd never be able to show my face again! Low and Behold, when my friends saw them they thought it was great, and I became famous for having a Dad with pink teeth.

After we all grew up, Mom started working at Easy Heat, in Lakeville. I also worked there two years when I finished high school. We made wire stuff for other companies.

Mom always regretted that she wasn't able to graduate from High School. She took great pride in earning her High School Equivalency Certificate July 5, 1989, South Bend Community School Corporation, and an Associate of Science- Business Administration degree from Ancilla Domini College, Donaldson, Indiana, May 29, 1993. Good Job, Mom !!!! I had an unfortunate flight and a late arrival, and was enroute from the airport courtesy of my brother Roland and we both missed the ceremony, but arrived in time for cookies. Mom fell and broke her shoulder just shortly before graduation requiring the temporary use of a wheelchair.

Mom started this genealogy project. She wanted the answer to just one simple question. What was Daniel Hann's Indian background? We have found lots of answers and even more questions, but have not found even a hint of the one thing that started it all. We have all enjoyed puzzles so it is only natural that we are now genealogy junkies. Robin, the lucky duck, was laid off her job for about a year and had lots of free time to search. Occasionally, my poor husband reminds me that a live husband is better than dead relatives, but he's really a sport. We've started on some of Dad's family too but regret not being interested years ago, before the ones who knew were all gone. If this book accomplishes only to keep our heritage alive for the future generations then it'll have been worth while.

All their children are grown and now Mom and Dad have a pack of grandchildren and great grandchildren running in and out. Mom spoils them unmercifully and they all adore her. All is right with the world.

Descendents of Margaret Patsy Moore:

1 Margaret Patsy Moore b: April 25, 1935 in Akron, Henry Twp., Fulton County, Indiana . +Roland Francis Carr m: October
27, 1956 in Rochester, Indiana b: October 30, 1934 in Rochester, Fulton County, Indiana
2 Roberta Kay Carr b: March 21, 1958 in South Bend, St Joseph County, Indiana
+James Brian Sapp m: July 01, 1978 in North Liberty, St Joseph County, Indiana b: April 27, 1958 in South Bend, St Joseph
County, Indiana Marriage ending: July 22, 1993 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, ElPaso County
*2nd Husband of [1] Roberta Kay Carr:
+Kurt Richard Wunder m: June 02, 1995 in Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado b: January 27, 1959 in Pueblo,
Pueblo County, Colorado
2 Roy Allen Carr b: April 09, 1960 in South Bend, St Joseph County, Indiana
+Yvonne Gail Atkins m: May 13, 1977 in Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana b: May 19, 1960 in Marshall County, Indiana
Marriage ending: August 17, 1978 in Plymouth, Indiana, Marshall County
*2nd Wife of [2] Roy Allen Carr: +Karen Layton m: November 25, 1978 in Culver,Marshall County, Indiana b: October 18,
1956 in Illinois Marriage ending: 1990 in Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana
*3rd Wife of [2] Roy Allen Carr:
+Roberta M. "Bobby" Ault m: November 17, 1995 in Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana b: August 25, 1950 in Indiana
Marriage ending: December 12, 1996 in Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana
2 Robin Charlotte Carr b: August 28, 1961 in South Bend, St Joseph County, Indiana
+Kris Lee Morcombe m: October 11, 1987 in Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana b: August 13, 1947 in Cleveland,
Cuyahoga County, Ohio
2 Roland Francis Carr, Jr. b: October 01, 1967 in South Bend, St Joseph County, Indiana
+Nanette Torrence Beadin b: October 15, 1957 

Submitted by: Roberta Wunder
Excerpts from her book "History of the Hann Family 1822 - 1999"

William Lake, who owns a farm of 120 acres in Sections 8 and 9, Maple Grove Township, came here when the settlers were few and scattered, and took his share in the development which has resulted in the prosperity of today. He has many interesting stories to tell of those days, when comforts were few and hardships were many, and when it took the utmost courage and perseverance to persist in one's efforts to carve a home and a farm from the wilderness. He recalls with interest the fact that when he first came here he acquired a few bushels of potatoes, all he could get in the neighborhood, a few bushels of rutabagas which had been raised among the stumps, and a dressed pig, this being practically all the meat and vegetables his family had until he was able to get some crops raised. Mr. Lake was born Sept. 12, 1858, in Marshall County, Ind., the son of Joseph and Cynthia (Fuller) Lake, natives of New York State, who settled in Indiana, and there farmed, the father dying in 1868, and the mother in 1904, after spending a quarter of a century with her son, William. In the family there were six children: Lawrence, David (deceased), William, Nancy (deceased), Cassie (deceased), and Alice (deceased). William Lake received his early education in the district schools, and as a youth did farm work and was engaged in railroading. In 1885 he came to Barron county, and settled in Maple Grove Township, making his home with an old friend from Indiana, and devoting his time to farm labor. In 1887, he was enabled to purchase his present place. He cleared 60 acres, placed fences about the fields, erected buildings, and successfully carried on general farming and dairying for many years. In addition to this he rented other farms from time to time and assisted in their development. In 1917 he rented the home farm to his son, Lawrence, but continues to reside there. He has been active in the affairs of the community, and has served on the school board for six years. Mr. Lake was married Dec. 30, 1881, to Emma McDonald, daughter of Samuel and Maria (Springer) McDonald, who spent their lives in Indiana, the father dying there, and the mother died on Feb. 25, 1875. In the family there were seven children: Jessie (deceased), Thomas (deceased), Simion (deceased), John, Oliver (deceased), Sherman (deceased) and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. Lake have nine children; Lawrence N., who rents the home farm, was born Jan. 26, 1883; Arvilla L. was born Oct. 30, 1884, and is now Mrs. Alfred Cobb, of Maple Grove Township; Jesse F. was born Oct. 8, 1887, and lives in Maple Grove Township; David W. was born March 23, 1890, and lives in Barron. Anna M. was born June 14, 1892, and is now Mrs. Clarence Olson, of Barron; Cora I. was born March 7, 1896, and is now Mrs. George Raven, of Barron; John S., born Feb. 10, 1898, works on a farm in Prairie Farm Township. He was inducted into the United States service June 12, 1917. Edith E. was born March 18, 1903, and is at home. Harold was born July 14, 1908 and died the following day.

Submitted by: Victor R. Gulickson
Taken from: History of Barron Co., Wisconsin, H. C. Cooper, Jr., & Co., 1922, pp. 420-421.

James Parks was born on March 10, 1776 in Maryland. His father is also said to be named James as well as his grandfather who married a Polly Martin. James ancestry has not been proven as of yet. He married Elizabeth Hughes around the year of 1807. She was born on February 14, 1788 in Virginia. Most of their 12 children were born in in Bourbon County, Kentucky so it is assumed that James and his family moved to Kentucky before 1807. He may have been young and it is not yet known where he and Elizabeth were married. Here is an excerpt taken from an article written in 1966 (possibly in a local newspaper) entitled "Bourbon Through The Years".

......."in the spring of 1836 when James and Elizabeth Parks, their sons James, Edward, John, Grayson, George, William, Toliver and Isaac; daughters Penelope Parks Greer and Polly Parks Linn; their husbands John Greer and Solomon Linn and their children; came from Bourbon County, Kentucky, after stopping off two years in Rush County, Indiana. They chose a wooded spot on some hills along a little stream a little over a mile east of present Bourbon. They brought cattle, horses, wagons and tools. They named their settlement "Bourbon."

"During the first winter they cleared 10 acres, and in the spring of 1837 purchased seed from the Hall family near Clunette (west of Leesburg) and planted the first corn in the newly settled area. Also in 1837 a general purpose cabin was built and used for meetings, occasional religious services, and as a school for the children. The same year, James (should be John) F. Parks, age 19, was appointed to receive and hand out the mail that came by horseback from Plymouth and Warsaw. In 1840 a cabin was built for use as a church with services provided by a Presbyterian circuit rider. It was known as the Shiloh Church and soon had a regular minister. In 1841 a Methodist minister from the Plymouth Mission organized classes, and by 1854 the United Brethren was active in the community."

"The first death in the new settlement was that of James Parks Sr., Aug. 18, 1839 (should be Aug. 28), from typhoid fever. A tombstone was ordered from New York and delivered by ox-cart and placed at his grave in the new burying ground laid out near the meeting cabin. (This stone has since been moved to the Parks Cemetery in Bourbon, standing at the entrance). The old burying ground may be seen today just back south of Road 12-B just over a mile east of Bourbon."

From the "History of Marshall County" it is mentioned that James Parks suggested the name for the township of Bourbon and was one of the petitioners for it's organization. He and his family became very prominent in the early settlement of Bourbon. His son Edward R. Parks was the first school teacher in 1838 with six pupils and John F. Parks was the first physician in 1839 as well as the first postmaster in 1839. The first town election was held in 1863. at the house of Elizabeth Parks. It was then that the town was incorporated and the first town board members were elected.

Submitted by: Pamela Bellanca, 4th great grandaughter of James Parks, Sr.

William L. Sarber - Indiana in the early '30s was a region in the outskirts of civilization, inhabited by the red men, wild game and the animals of the forests, and few remain to tell the story of those who tarried here to lend their brain, energy and heart to the making of homes and the establishment of legitimate enterprises. In 1835 there wended his way from Ohio to the Hoosier state one whose name was afterward enrolled among the commonwealth's brave and honored pioneers, Christian Sarber. He was one of the first to enter government land in Harrison Township, Kosciusko County, he having been obliged to walk to LaPorte to make his land entry, traveling through the wilderness and blazing his own way through the woods to his destination, there making his land entry and starting on the return journey. On his arrival home found the Indians had made a raid on the family larder, his wife having given them nearly all the provisions their little cabin home contained. Mr. Sarber was a successful business man, having owned at one time nearly one thousand acres of land. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church from his early boyhood until his life's labors were ended in death September 1, 1883. He was born in Franklin County, Ohio, September 20, 1813, and in Putnam County, Ohio, he was married to Mary Ann Lee, who was born near Lebanon, that state, in 1815, and her death occurred in 1862. Of their seven children five are now living; Catherine, the wife of Charles Gibbs; William L., the subject of this review; Harriet, the wife of Isaac Bell, of Los Angeles, California; Martha, the wife of Jefferson Eley, of Chicago; and Dr. H. O. resident of Rockford, Michigan, where he has been in practice during the past thirty years.

William L. Sarber was born on the 13th of May, 1849, on the farm which his father entered in 1835 in Harrison Township, Kosciusko County, Indiana, where the city of Mentone now stands, and his boyhood days were spent in assisting his father to clear the place and put it under cultivation, his educational training having been received in the subscription schools of the neighborhood. Soon after his marriage he embarked in the mercantile business in Palestine, Indiana, but after about one year his store was burned and he lost nearly everything and was in debt to the amount of nearly eight hundred dollars. His father, however, signed his notes, and this enabled him to start in business in Silver Lake, Indiana, but two years later he removed to Sebastopol, where he was engaged in business for five years, from the close of that period until 1893 was numbered among the business men of Claypool, and he then became a resident of Argos. In 1894, the year after his arrival in this city, he erected the Sarber Brick Block and has ever since been engaged in business here. He is a staunch Democrat in his political affiliations.

At the solicitation of his many Democratic friends, Mr. Sarber has announced himself as a candidate for representative of Marshall County. The primaries were held in the county, May 2, 1908, and out of a total vote of 2,300 he received the handsome majority of 539, which is equivalent to an election, from the fact that Marshall County has a Democratic majority of from 800 to 900. Hon. Daniel McDonald, the historian of the "Twentieth Century History of Marshall County", is the present incumbent, and Mr. Sarber succeeds him in this important office. He has spent many years in Marshall County as an honorable citizen, a general merchant and a supporter of Democratic principles, and the people know where he stands.

Mr. Sarber married, in May 1881, Miss Martha Dulany, who was born in Kosciusko County, Indiana, March 11, 1850, a daughter of David and Barbara (Daugherty) Dulany, natives of Marion County, Ohio. They were married in that state, from whence in 1841 they came to Indiana and located in Palestine Township, Kosciusko County. Mr. Dulany there purchased timberland and began the making of a home, first erecting a little log cabin, and on this farm which he cleared and cultivated he spent the remainder of his life. He was a member and for a number of years a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in political matters he upheld the principles of the Whig Party. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Dulany was blessed by the birth of five children, namel: Sarah, the wife of Adam Stout, and they reside in Warsaw, Indiana; Martha, who became the wife of Mr. Sarber; Susan, the wife of Ezra Creiger, of North Manchester, Indiana; Dennis, also a resident of that city; and Annie, the wife of Isaac Mullenour. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Sarber three are now living: Dr. Wallace C., whose wife was Katherine Bowell; Myrtle, the wife of Roy Konouse, and Charles M., the eldest son, who is in partnership with his father. He married Miss Elizabeth Cadwallader.

(Source for this biography: History of Marshall County, pg. 410-411.

Died January 23, 1909, Argos 2-92 Marshall Co.
Cause of death: Apoplexy (TRI-COUNTY GAZETTE, January 28, 1909)

1900 Census, Marshall County, Argos, Page 246b, Reel 2
238 Sarber, Wm. L.
" Martha
Stephenson, Chas.

Submitted by: Victor & Virginia (Sarber) Gulickson

Deb Murray