Col. Gideon Passes Away

Again has the angel of Death visited, our quiet little city, and called to his eternal rest one of our well known and highly respected citizens, Colonel Frank M. Gideon.

The subject of our sketch was born in Green county, Missouri, in February, 1849. He was too young to enter the service when the war began, but enlisted in the cavalry at 16 years of age, and served until the close of the war.

He was a graduate of the law department in the University of Indiana, at Bloomington, and practiced law eight years in Kokomo, in that state. He then moved to Washington, D. C., where he was for many years in the government employ. Resigning that position, he entered the employ of the railroads, looking after land cases at the capitol.

Fifty years ago, the 24th of December, he was married in Kokomo, Ind., to Miss Rosa Ingels, of that city, and they were planning upon celebrating their golden wedding next month. Three sons and two daughters were born to this couple, Clyde, of Washington, D. C.; Carl of this city; Walter, of New York city; Mrs. Dr. J. N. Sutton, of Washington; and Mrs. J. N. Horn, of Baltimore, all of whom, with his widow, and many grand-children, survive to mourn their great loss.

Colonel Gideon, with his wife and five grand-children, came to West Florida some years ago, camping near where their present camp is now located at Greenhead. Some ten years ago he bought the Bracken place, in West End, where he has since resided, except for the time he has so pleasantly spent at his camp.

On Monday of last week the Colonel had a stroke of paralysis, from which he never recovered, dying on Wednesday. His body was taken to his old home at Kokomo, Ind., leaving here Thursday morning, where interment took place on Sunday afternoon. The remains were accompanied by his wife, and son, Walter. They were joined at Cottondale by his son, Clyde, of Washington, and the two daughters who were enroute here when notified of their father's dangerous illness.

Undertaker A. H. Brake had charge of the preparation and shipment of the remains. Many friends paid their last tribute to their worthy friend, by their loving sympathy and assistance.

Colonel Gideon was a well known worthy citizen of Bay county, an ardent republican in politics, and had a most agreeable personality. He was public spirited, and desired to see St. Andrews take the position that its natural advantages entitled it to. His Greenhead camp was his great delight, and its peaceful beauties were often shared by his relatives and friends. To his widow and children the heart-felt sympathy of our entire community is extended, all feeling that they have lost a most valuable citizen, and the family, a most devoted husband and father.

"St. Andrews Bay News", St. Andrews, Florida
November 15, 1921
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Death of H. G. Taylor

Though aware of his illness the many friends of Mr. Taylor did not expect so soon a fatal termination, but death came on Saturday and called him to his eternal rest.

We had expected an article upon his life from the pen of Mary Orr Andrew, of San Blas, for this issue, but she writes that she could not prepare the same before next week.

Mr. Taylor was a well known resident of San Blas, an old Veteran, and was buried in the G. A. R. lot at Oakland cemetery here on Monday. The following notice of his funeral, and vote of thanks, is published at the request of Kimball Post, G. A. R., Panama City, of which the deceased was a member.

"On August 15th Kimball Post No. 39, G. A. R., met at the First Baptist Church to pay their last tribute of respect to our noble comrade and Senior Vice Commander, Captain Henry Greenwood Taylor, of Cook, but for eight years a resident of San Blas, who answered the last roll call on Saturday, August 13th.

Kimball Post desires to tender a vote of thanks to one and all of the many friends who so kindly assisted at the funeral, and who so willingly offered the use of their care between the city and the cemetery."

Card of Thanks
We wish to extend our very sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for the many kindnesses shown us through the illness and death of our father, Henry G. Taylor.

We are especially grateful to the good people of Panama City for such splendid considerations as we received at their hands. Father is absent from us, but not forgotten.

Mr. and Mrs. William S. Hunter, Cook, Florida

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
August 18, 1921
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Colonel Charles Doty Passes Away

It is with deep personal regret that the editor of the News announces the death of this prominent citizen, who passed away, like one falling asleep, at his residence here shortly after eight o'clock this morning.

Colonel Doty was born in Shantytown, now Green Bay, Wis., on August 17th, 1824, and was therefore ninety-four years and four months of age.He was the son of Judge Duane Doty, one of the prominent pioneers and officials of the territory of Michigan, and of Wisconsin after it was taken from Michigan. His services in the Civil Ware were in connection with the commissary department of the Army of the West, following his entry into the service in May, 1863. His position in the Army and as a noted early settler of Wisconsin, his close acquaintance with men of prominence in military and civil life, and his remarkable memory which he retained to the end, cause him to speak authoritatively of the early days in Wisconsin and of the Civil War and Reconstruction Days, and his reminiscences were both instructive and entertaining.

For the past few years the writer has spent an hour or two each Sunday with the Colonel, a weekly visit which he most thoroughly enjoyed. But few younger men retained such a vivid and full knowledge of the past, and in consequence his discussions and dissertations were of the most entertaining character. He was a close observer of Nature, and an interesting conversationalist upon almost any subject.

He has had fair health during the past few years, and most thoroughly enjoyed his home, where he resided with his only surviving child, Lieutenant Webster Doty. He read much in French, the classics - having a well selected library of both French and English works - history, etc., besides keeping thoroughly posted on the events of the day, through reading contemporary magazines and papers, his health permitting this right up to the day of his death.

Funeral; services will be held at the house at 10 o'clock tomorrow forenoon, with interment in the St. Andrews cemetery. His surviving relatives here are his son, Lieut. Doty; his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Doty; and his grandson, Capt. A. Duane Doty, wife and two great grandchildren. the children of Capt. Doty, all of these relatives being here except the Captain.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
April 10, 1919
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Capt. C. N. Gray Passes

The following newspaper clipping, under date of Sept. 9th, was sent to the Free Press by P. C. Richards and will be of interest to many of our readers. Capt. Gray and wife have spent many winters in Lynn Haven and were well and favorably known here. "Capt. C. N. Gray, aged 84 years, and who was Barwyn's (Ill.) last surviving Civil War veteran, died on Thursday morning at the home of his son-in-law, T. R. Kreuder, 3227 Wenonah avenue. "Funeral services are being held this (Friday) morning at the Baptist church, conducted by Rev. F. Paul Langhorne, the body being taken to Washington, D. C., for burial."

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
September 17, 1927
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

B. F. Waite of this city passed away on June 20, 1919, aged 81 years. He was born in St. Stephens, N. B. His occupation was that of lumberman. He enlisted in the service of the U. S. on April 6, 1861, in response to the first call, as private in Co. D, 6th Reg.'t, Maine Vol. Inf. On October 1st, 1862, he was promoted to 1st lieutenant of Co. F, 22nd Reg't, Vol. Inf., after having served for a time as Sergeant in Co. D. He was discharged at Bangor, Me., on August 14th, 1863, by reason of expiration of term of service, having served faithfully for 2 years and 3 months. He is survived by two brothers aged respectively 90 and 71 years, and one sister, aged 76.

Mr. Waite was loved and respected by everyone who knew him intimately. Being naturally of a modest and retiring disposition, he never pressed his acquaintance or company upon anyone, but those with whom he was closely associated testify freely as to his many noble attributes and sterling qualities. His nature was one of extreme kindness and tenderness and his love for children bespoke the manly characteristics which prompted the manifestation of this gift in many ways. Although advanced in years, his mind remained brilliant to the end, and he appreciated to the fullest the many little service rendered to him by neighbors and friends. The funeral services were held in the G. A. R. Hall on Tuesday, July 22nd at 10 a. m. A goodly number of comrades and friends were present. Rev. Eifert delivered the funeral address. Music was furnished by a quartette consisting of Mrs. Greene and Mrs. Tiat and Mesrs. Elfert and Bradeen with Mrs. Bradeen at the piano. The impressive ritualistic service of the G. A. R. followed. No relatives were present, but all were mourners around the casket because of the passing of a loyal friend. His remains were laid to rest in the Lynn Haven cemetery with those comrades who had preceded him, and his grave marked the final resting place of another of the brave preservers of our Union.

"Bay County Beacon", Panama City, Florida
August 1, 1919
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Richard B. Kiddle was born in England, June 19, 1843, and departed this life on Wednesday, September 14, 1927, at 11:50 a. m. He came to this country with his parents when he was seven years of age, the family settling in Illinois. Afterwards he went to Nebraska, where he lived for many years, coming to Lynn Haven seventeen years ago. Mr. Kiddle was the only surviving member of his family, a brother and four sisters having gone on before him. He served in the Civil War Company K, 31st Illinois.

At one time, Mr. Kiddle was mayor of the city of Lynn Haven, an honorable, highly respected and beloved citizen. Many kind deeds of helpfulness did he bestow where he thought it might do good, which, perhaps, the world in general knew not of.

He is survived by his wife, Caroline L, and five nieces- Miss Mae Kiddle, of Milwaukee, Wis.; Mrs. Thos. Bishop, of Racine, Wis.; Mrs. Mary G. Hodder, of South Haven, Mich.; (these three were daughters of his brother) Mrs. Elizabeth Fortney, of Chicago, Ill, and Mrs. Grace Smiley, of Los Angeles, Calif. (the latter two were daughters of his sisters).

Miss Mae Kiddle has been with her uncle since June 14, helping to care for him and looking after his comforts. He two sisters were here for a few days a short time ago, when Mr. Kiddle was able to visit with them and greatly enjoyed having them with him.

The remains were taken to Friend, Neb., Friday morning, September 16, accompanied by his niece, Miss Mae Kiddle, where interment will be made in the family lot in the cemetery at that place.

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
September 17, 1927
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

James L. Smith was born in October, 1821, and died November 11th, 1921, thus rounding out a whole century. He was born in or near Arbroath, County of Forfar, Scotland, about twelve miles from where the narrator Judge Sturrock, was born, who conducted the funeral obsequies on Saturday last, burial being in Greenwood cemetery.

Born of humble parentage, he grew to boyhood, getting an education suited to his conditions in life, and left home, taking a liking to the sea, going to the Post of Dundee, where he was apprenticed to a ship captain bound for the East Indies, and sailed with him until he reached early manhood, visiting various countries in the far East, finally returning to London, and while lying there was, with five others of the ship's crew, taken by the Press Gang and placed on board a warship of the British navy, one of the old oaken ships such as Nelson had at Trafaigs, cruising where ever required, returning to London in 1852, where he was in the naval export attending the funeral of the great Duke of Wellington in June of that year.

On the breaking out of the Russian War, in 1854, his ship was ordered to the Black Sea and stationed in front of Constantinople, remaining in that vicinity until the fall of Sebastapol in 1855, which ended the Crimean War. By this time he had attained the rank of quartermaster, about as high as one who had risen from the ranks could attain then.

In 1857 the great Sepoy mutiny broke out in India, and his ship was ordered there, where he saw and endured bitter warfare. He was present at Lucknew, whenit fell, and the mysterious disappearance of Nina Sahib ended the war. This ship returned to England, where he was honorably discharged. Learning that all his relatives had passed away, or disappeared, he went to Liverpool and shipped in a vessel bound for the west Indies, where he remained until the outbreak of the Civil War in America, when his love of adventure prompted him to become a blockade runner in the Gulf of Mexico, where he had several adventures, but passed through without any bodily harm.

At the close of this war he returned to the West Indies, and while there a tropical hurricane came on, with a tidal wave breaking on his island home, washing away all his belongings, including his truck, containing his war medals that had been given him by the British and French governments for valuable services, much to his regret, and a great financial loss. Soon after this time he came to Florida, moving from place to place, finally settling on St. Andrews Bay.

He was married here many years ago, and is survived by his wife, his only known relative. He retained his faculties to the end, also his eyesight, which had never failed him, a rather remarkable condition for a centenarian. His home place was his delight; and was kept marvelously clear of all but the growing vegetables, which he raised in profusion for home and market. Mrs. Smith was always well thought of by his neighbors, and our citizens, who tender his wife their sympathy.

Judge J. Sturrock

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
November 17, 1921
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

E. Mahan

Our whole community is saddened by the death of Mr. E. Mahan. He was the friend of all, always had a kind word for the children, and cheering helpful words for the older ones. In the few years he had lived here he had become such a dependable, "Spoke in the Wheat," that now we are at a loss how to go on without him.

He always attended Church and Sunday School, and he never failed to look after all the poor widows (and there are several) to see that they had plenty of wood.

The day of the funeral some one happened to say that he had no relatives living near. Another took up the chance remark and said, "No relatives living here? Were we not all his relatives; did we not all call him 'Uncle Ned," and mean it too?

He was born in Virginia and was about 17 when he fought in the battle of the Wilderness. He followed surveying for a profession and was a good surveyor. He was a firm believer in the dignity of useful labor, and practiced it here by making a good garden. He was the most practical gardener we had, and all last summer, when everything was parched with the drought, he had a nice garden, which was always so green and pretty. And only hand tools to do the cultivating and tilling with.

He never spared himself or seemed to think of self. If there was any errand, or something he could do for someone, he went at it right now. It is know that he suffered pain and was not in very good health much of the time, but he didn't say much about it. He never had time to talk much about himself- always seemed to think there were more important topics.

He advocated the cause of temperance and equal suffrage. He also took much interest in the present problems of our fisherman, and wanted them to get their rights. He belonged to the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities and was much attached to his fraternal brothers.

Many who now mourn this friend who is gone will still be thankful all their lives that they knew for even a season on earth this good man, and they will be the better for having known him.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
November 18, 1915
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Death Of An Old Citizen

Died on Monday, October 4, at the Lynn Haven Sanitarium, Charles Turner Porter, aged about 76. Mr. Porter had been a great Sufferer for a number of years, his health becoming bad some eight years ago, for the past three years he has been confined to his bed practically all the time, about two years ago breaking his hip which made him very nearly helpless. He had been in the home of his nephew, J. M. Poster of this place for the past three years; about two and a half weeks before his death, he was taken to the Sanitarium, where he could receive such care as it was impossible to give him in the home.

Mr. Porter's parents were among the very first settlers in what is now Bay county, they building their home on Moccasin creek, near Econfina, something (sic) over a hundred years ago.

Mr. porter was one of a family of five sons and four daughters, he being the last surviving one of that generation. He married at the early age of eighteen, his living but a short time. There were no children and he never married again, or have a home of his own, although a very home and children loving man, and children where ever he was loved him. He lived with various ones of his brothers and sisters as long as any of them lived, after which he made his home with different nephews and nieces, of whom there are a large number. Until his health failed, he was a very active man, always finding plenty of work to do, and becoming quite well fixed financially, until his ill health, doctor and hospital bills ate up his accumulations of former years.

On Tuesday the body was taken for interment to the Porter Burying ground, very close to the spot where he was born, and was followed to the grave by a large concourse of relatives and friends. From Lynn Haven were, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Porter, Mrs. Wesleys Hobbs, Mr. and Mrs. John Cox, Mrs. A. J. Gainer, Mrs. A. W. Gainer from Panama City, Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Gay, W. C. Vickery, I. H. Grant; from St. Andrews, Chas. T. Porter, nephew and name-sake of the deceased; from the Econfina neighborhood many others. As a token of the respect in which he was held by those who had known him for many years, the school was dismissed for the afternoon that all might attend the burial.

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
October 9, 1926
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

In the death of Perley E. Wilson, at his home on Monday, January 10th, St. Andrews sustained the loss of one of the oldest and most respected citizens, and the greater portion of the inhabitants of West St. Andrews, together with many friends from the town proper, and other surrounding towns gathered at the home on Tuesday, January 17th, to pay their last respect and homage to the memory of Mr. Wilson, and to express their feelings of condolence for Mrs. Wilson, who survives him.

Mr. Wilson arrived in St. Andrews in 1896, and the years which he passed in this quiet place were as a peaceful, calm after the stormy vicissitudes of a most eventful youth and early manhood.

He was born among the rugged hills of Pennsylvania, in the year 1841; the second son of a family of nine children. His parents were hard-working pioneers, of sturdy Scotch and English descent, whose ancestors had fled from their native country to this land of promise because of oppression, before the Revolution. They pledged their allegiance to the people of this western land and bravely fought with them for freedom from England. One ancestor was privileged to become a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Born with an inherited spirit of dauntless bravery, courage, and independence, Mr. Wilson at an early age was a champion for right and a protector of the weak.

He idolized his mother, and when only a youth acted as her protector on numerous occasions when his father found it necessary to travel from one section of the country to another seeking employment. At different stages of their lives they pioneered in New York, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa and Arkansas; suffering all the privations and dangers of the early settlers and coming in contact with Indians, wild animals and outlaw white men. Small of stature, Mr. Wilson, nevertheless, possessed a wonderful constitution, and his sturdy frame was capable of great feats of strength and endurance. When quite a small boy he became an expert hunter, fisher and trapper, and this served him in good stead many times when the family larder was low.

At the time the unfortunate war of 1861 was declared, Mr. Wilson was one of the first seventy-five thousand who answered duty's call in April of that year, and enlisted in Co. H, 32nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and served to the end of the war; fought in many of the most decisive battles and was cited for bravery and valor.

In the four years of struggle, privation and hardship he was fortunate in having no hospital experience; but after the battle of Bentonville, and when the troops were marching to Washington for their discharge, trudging through Virginia's heat, sand and mud; sleeping in their straps and clothing; smoke begrimed, long-haired and dirty --- fifty-four days of the hardest marching they had known- he fell by the side of the road, overcome by sunstroke and congestive chills. His recovery was slow and never entirely complete; hospital physicians assuring him that only his life policy of total abstinence from intoxicating liquor and tobacco saved his life.

He received his honorable discharge from the army in July, 1865, and went to the home of his father in Athens County, Ohio. In November of the same year he was married to Miss Lucy Ross, of Athens County, Ohio, and of this union two children were born, both of whom died in infancy. Mr. Wilson and his wife lived in perfect harmony and affection until January 24th, 1894 when she was laid to rest.

On June 29th, 1896, he was married to Mrs. May Thayer, who survives him. He was ever a loving husband, and also a kind father to his step-daughter, who is now Mrs. R. T. Hutchins.

For the last thirty-four years of his life, Mr. Wilson had been a faithful and consistent Christian, believing in the Seventh Day Sabbath and the Second Coming of the Lord, Jesus Christ.

He was laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery, there to await the coming of the Life-Giver.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
January 26, 1922
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Ephriam J. Fringer, son of George W. and Susannah Null Fringer, was born December 29, 1845, in Tawneytown, Carroll county, Maryland, where his father, a law enforcement officer of the county, died when Ephriam was a ten-months-old infant.

Young Fringer made his home in Tawneytown, where he received his education, until after the Battle of Gettysburg, when he went to Illinois to join a brother then engaged in the drug business at Shelbyville.

His acquaintance with pills and portions, however, was short, for in February, 1864, he enlisted for service with a replacement detachment that was sent to the 14th Illinois Infantry, Colonel Hall commanding. The regiment, which had been very nearly annihilated, was then in Virginia, and formed a part of the 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps.

The collapse of the Confederacy, soon after their arrival at the front, cheated Fringer and his follow recruits of the active service for which they had enlisted and their only fair chance to mix it with the enemy went glimmering when the Confederate General Bradley T. Johnson surrendered half a day before they came up with his battered, war-weary command. At the close of hostilities the 14th Illinois proceeded to Richmond and Alexandria, Virginia, then to Washington, where they participated in the Grand Review of the Union forces, after which they were transferred to the Western Department and sent to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, to take the field against the marauding bands of Indians.

From there the 14th went to Fort Kearney for a while and then in the spring of 1865 returned to Leavenworth, where the command was mustered out of the service.

Following his discharge, Mr. Fringer went to Shelbyville, where he remained for a short time and then returned to his old home in Tawneytown, Maryland. Not long after he removed to Oakland, in the same state, where he engaged in the painting and paper-hanging business until 1911, when he came to Lynn Haven and built his home on the property he had purchased on Maine avenue, between 5th and 6th streets. This place he subsequently sold, and moved to Kentucky, between 3rd and 4th, where he and Mrs. Fringer now reside. Mrs. Fringer was married first, in 1876, to Miss Amelia Bush, of Oakland, Maryland. To this union were born two daughters, Mrs. James Sincell, now living in Grafton, West Virginia, and Mrs. J. Rufus Chamblee, of Anderson, South Carolina. The first Mrs. Fringer passed away many years ago. On November 26, 1916, Mr. Fringer was united in marriage with Mrs. M. Margaret Barrett, of this city, the charming lady who shares wit him their present home on Kentucky avenue, near the water.

Mr. Fringer is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, but in the absence of a society of that denomination in Lynn Haven, worships with the Presbyterians. He is a Master Mason and a member of the Eastern Star, and now hold the post of Adjutant in Staunton Post No. 2, G. A. R., in which capacity he has served for the greater part of the time since the post was organized, except for one term as Post Commander.

Despite his 77 years, Mr. Fringer is active in business, fraternal and the church circles, and is one of the leading real estate dealers of the city in addition to looking after the rentals and other interest of a large number of non-resident property owners.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
September 14, 1922
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

© 1998 Deb Murray
This page may not be copied or reproduced
in any way without the written consent of the author

Graphics courtesy of