Death of Louis Waller

Louis Waller, a Civil War veteran and a member of L. M. Mosley Post, G. A. R., Dexter City, Ohio, died at his home on 12th street at Colorado avenue at 7:30 Friday evening, June 2nd, after a long illness. Funeral services were conducted by members of Staunton Post No. 2, G. A. R., and their Chaplain, Rev. M. D. Cooley, at the home of L. W. Gessel, on Florida avenue, on Saturday, and on Tuesday morning the remains were taken by his daughter, Mrs. Elmer Wickens, to his old home in Macksburg, Ohio, for interment. Louis Waller was born in Noble county, Ohio, January 20, 1846, and departed this life June 2, 1922, being 76 years, 5 months and 12 days of age. He was a volunteer in the Civil War, having been enrolled as a private in Company D, 17th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on the 18th day of August, 1864, at Lowell, Ohio, by Lieut Hussey. He served his country faithfully, participating in a number of engagements, and was mustered out on July 14th, 1865, at Camp Dennison, Ohio.

He was married to Miss Atherton on June 14th, 1871. To this union were born six children, three sons and three daughters. Two sons and one daughter deceased, also the mother, who preceded him three and one-half years ago. The living children are Mrs. Elmer Wickens, Mrs. Minnie J. Lee and Frank Waller, all of Macksburg, Ohio. Mr. Waller was an uncle of Louis W. and Benjamin Gessel, of this city.

He was an upright, public-spirited citizen, and leaves a host of friends to mourn his passing.

"PANAMA CITY PILOT", Panama City, Florida
June 8, 1922
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Frank Young

On November 29, 1848, a baby boy came into the home of a German Sea Merchant in New Orleans. The lad was soon christened Francis Young in the German Lutheran church of that city. But when Francis, who soon became better known as Frank, was only 18 months old the sad news of his father's death at sea struck terror to the heart of his mother, and she closed her eyes in the endless sleep, leaving Frank, a tiny infant brother and also one older brother in an orphan home.

The older brother died a few years later and Frank and Robert were adopted by friends of the parents, but each into different homes. Thus Frank was brought up as an only child by devoted foster parents.

When only 13 years of age he ran away from home and enlisted in the war of 1861-1864. He served as drummer boy throughout the entire four years. After being mustered out in New York City, Frank went to Indiana where he secured work on a farm. There he stayed until 1880 when he left to go to the state of Washington, where he established his own dairy farm and served patrons in Portland, Oregon for over thirty years.

Selling out in Washington in 1911, he brought his foster mother and came to Lynn Haven, both of them very sick people. Florida sun shone kindly on them for a while until the mother passed away a few years ago. Mr. Young improved in health and grew in strength and for years has been on of Lynn Haven's most able old men.

Three years ago he was united in marriage to Miss Elsie Rice of this city. Now his passing away, in the Veteran's Hospital at Bay Pines, Fla., leaves her his only surviving relative.

Mr. Young died March 18, 1936, and was laid to rest in the National Cemetery at Bay Pines, complying with his request. A military funeral with all the accompanying homers due an old soldier, was accorded him.

He has long been the Commander of the local G. A. R. Post here in Lynn Haven, and his going leaves only two remaining members, and only a very few more of the Boys in Blue in the city.

"St. Andrews Bay News", St. Andrews, Florida
April 2, 1936
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Charles R. Merrill Died Saturday

Charles R. Merrill, aged 73, died at the family residence on New York avenue on Saturday afternoon, death resulting from an illness of several months' duration. The funeral service, held Monday afternoon, was conducted at the G. A. R. Hall by the Rev. Mr. Post, the G. A. R. and Rebekahs. The Sons of Veterans and Odd Fellows had charge of the service at Lynn Haven cemetery, where interment was made.

Our departed friend and comrade was born December 25th, 1848, at Washington, Maine, where he remained until his twelfth year, when he entered the U. S. service in the capacity of personal servant to his father, Capt. Henry E. Merrill, of the 1st. California Infantry. In May, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, of the 16th Maine, commanded by his father, and was assigned to active duty with the 19th Corps under General Howard. He was subsequently with the Army of the Potomac, participating in the Second Battle of Bull Run, the Battle of Gettysburg, where the 16th Maine was almost annihilated, and other great battles in the eastern theatre of operations. Following his discharge on March 13, 1866, Mr. Merrill enlisted in the 9th Massachusetts, National Guard, with which he served eight years.

He was married in 1868 to Miss Emma Hale, of Hudson, Massachusetts, their union being blessed with six children, three of whom are living. In 1892, some years after the passing of his first wife, he married Miss Madeline T. Howard, of Charleston, Mass., a niece of General Oliver Otis Howard, of Civil War fame. To them was born a son, Morris, who was with his father when the end came.

Since coming to Lynn Haven in 1911, Mr. Merrill has been an active member of Staunton Post No. 2, G. A. R., serving as Junior and Senior Vice-Commander, and was for two years Commander of the Post. At the time of his death, he was Junior Vice Commander of the Sons of Veterans, the territory under his jurisdiction including seven southeaster states.

Mr. Merrill's personality was one that commanded the high esteem of his associates, and his passing is greatly deplored by his surviving comrades of Staunton Post, and a large circle of friends in the city, who extend their sincere sympathy to the widow and children.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
May 25, 1922
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

George Foster

George Foster was born in Franklin county, Indiana, in 1838, of pioneer parents in what was then one of the wilderness outposts of civilization. When the Civil War broke out in all its fury, young Foster hastened to join the Union ranks and enlisted in Company F, 18th Infantry, with the rank of musician, in July 1861, serving until August 16, 1864, when he was honorably discharged from the service.

After the war he made his home in the Hoosier state until 1912, when, with scores of his old comrades, he came to Lynn Haven to found a new home in the sunny Southland. Although a quiet and unassuming man, Mr. Foster's sterling worth was at once apparent to his new neighbors and he quickly enjoyed the cordial esteem of a large circle of friends here, who viewed with deepest regret his passing on May 17th, after all that the tender care of a loving family and the best medical skill obtainable could do had been done to prolong his life.

The funeral services were held at the residence last Thursday afternoon, with the beautiful and impressive ceremony of the G. A. R. for their departed comrades. Veteran Foster is survived by his wife, five children, twenty-three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, to mourn his loss. The body, accompanied by his wife and daughter, was taken to his old home near Metamora, Indiana, for interment.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
May 25, 1922
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

C. J. Walker, War Veteran, Passes To His Reward

C. J. Walker, one of Bay County's most highly respected citizens, answered the final summons Friday evening. He has been in feeble health for the past year, and his death came quietly.

Mr. Walker was born in Chicago, Ill, July 9, 1845. Both of his parents died while he was an infant, and his early training was given by foster parents. Reaching manhood, he moved to Minneapolis, Minn., accepting employment as millwright in one of the flour mills, and it can be said that he grew up and spent his business life in the development of many of the greatest plants of the middle West, among them Pillsbury Mills, and others of equal importance. At the age of 18, he entered the U. S. Army, serving through the war of the States, as a gunner in the light artillery.

Returning from the war, he re-entered the milling business, and was married, his wife dying in 1908, leaving Mr. Walker three sons and two daughters, now living.

In the summer of 1910, Mr. Walker visited St. Andrews Bay, spending some weeks here. In 1912, he built a home on East Bay near Martins Bayou. That year he was united in marriage to Miss Euphrasia Franz, who survives him. Mr. Walker was an honorable member of the Catholic church and the Grand Army of the Republic.

The funeral took place Monday afternoon, Rev. Father Meyer of St. Dominic's Church officiating. Burial was at the Catholic Cemetery.

Mr. Walker resided in Lynn Haven for some time and was a member of Stanton Post, G. A. R. Lynn Haven friends regret to learn of his passing, and deepest sympathy is extended Mrs. Walker in her bereavement.

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
December 31, 1932
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Pioneer Citizen is Dead

C. J. Demorest Aged 84, Passed Away Saturday, Once Owned Much of This City C. J. Demorest, one of the pioneer residents of this city, and who at one time, some thirty years ago, owned an interest in the greater part of what is now the business section of the town, passed away at his home here on Saturday after a long illness.

Mr. Demorest was born in Rochester, New York, 84 years ago last Monday. He was a member of the G. A. R., having served the Union during the conflict of the Sixties. Some thirty or more years ago, he became interested in a townsite consisting of nearly all that property lying west of Magnolia avenue, south of Fifth street and extending to a line running approximately due north from the residence of Dr. W. J. Lee. This property was platted under the name of Park Resort, and later the name was changed to Harrison, the same as that of the first postoffice at this place. When the boom of the Eighties feel thru he went west, with his family, but upon the birth of Panama City, he returned and had made his home here for some nine or ten years past.

The funeral was conducted from the Methodist Church by the pastor, Rev. W. C. McConnell, and Rev. W. F. Moore of the 1st Baptist Church. The City officials acted as pall bearers, and a guard of honor composed of his surviving comrades of the local G. A. R. Post accompanied the remains to the cemetery from the church on Monday afternoon, and the Grand Army burial service was conducted at the grave.

Mr. Demorest is survived by his wife and two children, one, Mrs. O. W. Tedford, wife of Marshal Tedford, of this city, the other, Mrs. W. R. Jamison, of Sacramento, Calif.

Card of Thanks

We take this method of expressing our heart-felt appreciation of the many kind acts and words of sympathy and beautiful floral offerings received from our friends and neighbors during our time of trial and bereavement in the loss of our dear husband and father.

May God richly reward you and may you not have lack of friends when you are called upon to pass through similar grief and loss. Mrs. C. J. Demorest, Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Tedford, Mrs. Ida M. Curd.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
March 13, 1919
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

James W. Blaney, 88, died at his home on Louisiana avenue at 5 o'clock Sunday afternoon, August 28, after an illness of eight years. Mr. Blaney was born in Ireland, September 15, 1844, and came to America with his parents at the age of six years. He enlisted in the Navy on March 7, 1865, and served on the U. S. S. "Galena" at Fortress Monroe for two years. He was married in 1887, his wife living three years. After her death, he never married again. Mr. Blaney came to Lynn Haven in 1911. He was a man of fine moral character, who lived nobly and died peacefully at an advanced age. The Grim Reaper found him "as a shock of corn ripe for the harvest." The funeral service was held on Tuesday at 9 o'clock A. M. in St. James Catholic church, Rev. Charles D. Meyer conducting the service. Interment was made in the Lynn Haven cemetery.

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
September 3, 1927
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Artemus W. Judd, the last of a large family, was born in Canada in 1840 while his parents, citizens of the United States, were making a brief sojourn over the line. At the age of 8 years he moved with his parents into Lake county, Illinois, and from that State at the age of 20 he enlisted in Company F, 37th Regiment of Illinois volunteers and served through the duration of the Civil War.

In 1866, he was married to Miss Julia Sisson, of Minnesota, to which state he took up his soldier's claim of 320 acres and established his home. To this union was bon one son, Artemus W. Judd, Jr., now a Baptist minister living in Pana, Ill. Beside his son, he leaves a wife and four grandsons to mourn his passing which occurred on September 2nd at his home in this city.

In 1920 his first wife died, leaving a beautiful life of service and good works to bless her memory, and after a lapse of several years Mr. Judd was married to Mrs. Lena Murphy, of Dothan, Ala., on September 18th, 1922. She has blessed his declining years with the most careful and faithful attention. Mr. Judd had been failing in health for five years prior to his death, was often bedfast and required constant care, both day and night. He was a faithful Christian, prominent in the life of the Baptist church, having served as a deacon in the Lynn Haven church of that denomination for several years until he moved his church membership to the First Baptist church of Southport, of which he was a member and a deacon at the time of his death.

For a number of years following the destruction of his home in Minnesota by a prairie fire, Mr. Judd was somewhat of a wanderer. He passed a period of seven years in Texas, then moved to the state of Washington, where he remained for twenty years, and when the Lord took away his only child for the Gospel ministry, the lonely old man moved to California, remaining there for two years. He next moved to Illinois, then to Virginia for several years, then to Illinois again, whence he moved to New Mexico, and from New Mexico to Lynn Haven.

Mr. Judd ends his life here but his influence and loving character will remain with us. He leaves here his devoted wife who has nursed him faithful, prayerfully, through shade and shine, both day and night. May God's blessing rest upon her, keep her and reward her in that sweet by and by.

"Lynn Haven Free Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
September 17, 1927
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Louis H. Sprecher

We are in receipt of the Lanark Gazette which contains the news of the death of Louis H. Sprecher, prominent farmer and business of Lanark, Illinois, and who, with his daughters spent two winters in Lynn Haven. Mr. Sprecher was a native of Pennsylvania and was born in 1840, in which state he remained till his enlistment in Co. I, 21st Penn. Cavalry. He moved to Illinois in 1877, where he made his home till 1902, then retiring from active business. The death of his wife in 1910 served to further impair his already failing health, and in 1915, he suffered a paralytic stroke from which he never fully recovered. In the long years of his residence in Lanark he was identified with many business pursuits and public works and had been a lifelong and faithful Republican to politics. He was an eminently successful agriculturist, with well formed and firm opinions upon whatever subject he discussed. He is mourned by the following children, Ora M. A. Lincoln, of Miss; Anna Weed, William Huber, Elizabeth E. and Louis H., and five grandchildren. Misses Ora and Elizabeth accompanied Mr. Sprecher to Lynn Haven and made many friend here who extend sympathy in their loss.

"Bay County Tribune", Panama City, Florida
July 25, 1919
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Rev. D. A. Tucker

On last Sunday evening, Lynn Haven, was plunged into mourning, when it became known that Rev. Tucker had passed away.

He was one of our pioneer citizens, having come here 15 years ago, and through all these years has been an active citizen in helping to develop our city and in advocating those principles of morality and justice which mean so much to the healthy growth of any community. He was an aggressive man, living, as he said, "at war with Satan and at peace with God." As a neighbor he was peaceable and accommodating, always ready to help those in need, and his passing has thrown a pall of gloom over that section of our city. For many years he was patriotic instructor for the G. A. R. and his fervent loyalty to the old flag, and his patriotism and love of our country and its institutions, leaves an imperishable monument to his memory. How sadly he will be missed by Stanton Post and the Ladies Circle!

Rev. Tucker lived a long and consistent Christian life, and for 51 years was actively engaged in the work of the ministry. His funeral was held in the G. A. R. Hall at noon on July 11th, where a large crowd of sorrowing friends had assembled to do him honor. Rev. Burns officiated and in well chosen remarks, compared the life of Rev. Tucker with the Christian standard laid down by Christ and Paul. The choir, composed of Messrs. Dunscombe and Mesdames Barnes, Cook and Jarvis, sang "Sweeter as the Years Go By," as one of Rev. Tucker's favorites. Mrs. Barnes, at his request, sang as a solo, "We'll Never Say Goodbye in Heaven," and Mrs. Cook sang "Asleep in Jesus." after the regular services the Ladies Circle, of which he has always been an honorary member, took charge with their ritualistic memorial service. The many beautiful floral emblems was an expression of the love and devotion and great esteem which the people of Lynn Haven held for our dear brother and friend. This heartfelt sympathy of everyone goes out to his faithful companion, whose loving ministration held out to the close, and who has so bravely bore up under the great bereavement.

Rev. Tucker was 82 years, 1 month, and 20 days old, and leaves twelve living children and many grandchildren. He served in the Union Army for 4 years, 8 months and 8 days. He leaves behind him a record of years, well rounded out in usefulness and service to humanity and loyalty to God and Country. Immediately after the funeral his remains were taken by rail to his old home in Greensburg, Indiana, where they will be interred in the old home church yard.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
July 14, 1927
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Mr. Dixon Passes

P. C. Dixon, one of the oldest business men of this city, finished his earthly life about seven o'clock on December 31st. Funeral services were held at the G. A. R. Hall on Thursday and interment was made in Lynn Haven cemetery.

Mr. Dixon was a soldier in the Civil War and a native of Pennsylvania. He was one of the early settlers of Lynn Haven and kept one of the leading grocery stores of the city. He was generous, accommodating, and kind. In his generosity he trusted both white and black alike, and furnished food for many a poor man and his family until he could get work and pay the bill. He lost some, but one man proving ungrateful did not hinder Mr. Dixon from helping another. Mr. Dixon left many grateful friends among the poor who will recall the name of Harry P. Dixon with feelings of gratitude and kindness. It is the good that men do that lives after them.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
date missing
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

G. J. Smith, of Mt. Gilead, Ohio, who had a shock some days ago, died at the Moss apartments about 6 a. m. on Wednesday.

Mr. Smith arrived here on New Year's day in feeble health, not having fully recovered from a former shock, and seemed to be gaining some, but last Sunday he had another shock, from which he never rallied. His children were telegraphed, and his son-in-law, L. W. Linn, arrived here on Monday night in time to see his father-in-law a few hours before he passed away.

Meesers. Brake and Sharpe, undertakers, prepared the remains for burial, which will take place at Mr. Gilead, Ohio. Mr. Linn and Mrs. Smith started North with the remains on Wednesday morning. The funeral will be held on their arrival at Mr. Gilead, the home town of Mr. Smith. The deceased leaves a family and many friends to mourn his death.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
date missing
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

Colon James Ball was born at Athens, Vt., June 21, 1844, and died in Lynn Haven, January 31, 1932. The passing of Mr. Ball closed a long and useful life. He enlisted at Saxtons River, Vt., in Co., F, 4th Vt. V. I. at the age of 17 years and served three years, being in ten engagements in Virginia and Maryland. He was wounded at Antietam.

For a number of years he worked at the making of scythe snatha in Bellows Falls, Vt., and in his brother's factory in Canada. He engaged in farming at South Acworth, N. H., for 20 years before coming to Lynn Haven. He married Georgianna Hudson, a native of Stratton, Vt., at Brattleboro, Vt., Dec. 31, 1870. To them were born seven children, only three of whom survive. The survivors are a son, Carl A. of Waterville, P. Q., Canada; Mrs. Walter G. Smith of South Acworth, N. H., and Mrs. J. H. Pitkin of Winchester, Mass. Eleven grandchildren and four great grandchildren also survive.

In November, 1911, Mr. Ball and his brother, Joseph, came to Lynn Haven and built a home on Mississippi avenue. The following autumn, Mrs. Ball accompanied him back from New Hampshire, and Lynn Haven was their home until their death, Mrs. Ball passing away in June, 1918. For the past 12 years Mr. Ball has been faithfully cared for by Mrs. E. P. Rowland. Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church Tuesday, Feb. 2, being largely attended. Rev. Thomas Holcombe, assisted by Dr. W. J. Hall and Rev. Dunton, officiated. The choir sang two selections, and Mrs. Fringer, whom Mr. Ball had loved to hear sing, sang Abide With Me. The Ladies' Circle of the G. A. R. and 10 surviving veterans attended and the G. A. R. gave its impressive service.

Mr. Ball was a life-long member of the Methodist Church and served on the official boards wherever he lived. He was a charter member of Stanton Post, G. A. R., and served as commander two years. At the time of his death he was officer of the day of the post. And so one more good soldier has answered the last roll call.

"Lynn Haven Press", Lynn Haven, Florida
February 7, 1932
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

The funeral of A. Strehle, a veteran of the Civil War, was held in the G. A. R. Hall at 2:30 p. m. on Sunday, January 4th.

It was one of the largest funerals ever held in Lynn Haven, many friends, comrades, and neighbors of the deceased attesting their sympathy by their presence. Mr. Strehle was a man who made many friends, and no enemies. He was one of the loyal pioneers of our city, having come here in 1911, and taking an active part in building our town, as one of her leading aggressive citizens. The Arlington, one of the very first hotels, was built by him. He was a man who loved order and cleanliness, the immaculate condition of his home and premises bearing testimony to this fact. He was a great lover of music, having a fine discriminating ear for it.

Rev. Cooley, an old comrade and friend, officiated at the funeral, and spoke in glowing terms of the many fine qualities of the deceased, and of the mutual bond of friendship which has grown since their first meeting in 1911. Mr.. and Mrs. J. M. Johnson, Mrs. Pomeroy and Mr. Brown furnished the music. One song, an old favorite of Mr. Strehle's, "The Cross and the Flag," was rendered beautifully by the quarter as a token of respect to his memory.

The G. A. R. service followed the regular service, quite a number of the old veterans taking part in an able and impressive manner. The remains were laid to rest in the Lynn Haven cemetery. A large number of floral tributes bore witness to the love and esteem of friends. Mr. Strehle will be sadly missed by the habitues of the Adamson House, where his friendliness and pleasing personality welcomed the many guests in the reception room.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
date missing
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

John E. Whinnery, a resident here for about a year and a half, died last Saturday at his home on Seventh street, aged 84 years. Funeral services were held Sunday at the residence, conducted by Rev. Mills, pastor of the Methodist church. The services were under the auspices of Kimball Post, G. A. R., and the interment was in Oakland Cemetery.

Mr. Whinnery was born in Columbiana county, O., and for the greater part of his life followed the occupations of farmer and carpenter. In 1850 he married Miss M. L. Crews, near Salem, O., and of this union three children were born, Lucinda J., Josiah, and Albert. Mrs. Whinnery died in 1855. In 1861, Mr. Whinnery enlisted in the Fourteenth Indiana Infantry, and after about, a year's service was wounded and discharged. In 1862, he married a second time, to Miss Mary Fawcett, near his old home, Salem, O. Four children were born to them, three of whom are living. He became imbued with the western fever after the war, and lived in Iowa, Kansas, and Colorado. From the latter state he came her accompanied by his widowed daughter, Mrs. Lucinda Ainsworth, with whom he lived at the time of his death. During his residence in Colorado he served as Justice of the Peace, and always took an active interest in public affairs. He was also post commander of the G. A. R. He was born a Quaker, but early parted company with that church, and though a man of religious views, was not identified with any denomination.

Mr. Whinnery was able to be about until a short time before his death. He passed away peacefully and painlessly, from heart trouble.

"Panama City Pilot", Panama City, Florida
May 29, 1913
Submitted by: Barbara Walker Winge

© 1998 Deb Murray
This page may not be copied or reproduced
in any way without the written consent of the author

Graphics courtesy of