William Thomas Harry, one of Jackson township's well-known farmers and a veteran of the Spanish-American War, is a native son of Fayette county and has lived here nearly all his life. He was born on a farm in Jackson township, not far from the place on which he now resides, August 7, 1867, son of John and Catherine (Spears) Harry, natives of Virginia and the former of whom was an honored veteran of the Civil War, whose last days were spent in this county, his death occurring when his son, the subject of this sketch was four years of age. His widow later remarried and is still living, now a resident of the adjoining county of Wayne.

John Harry was but a lad when his parents, Allan Harry and wife, moved from Virginia to Kentucky, shortly afterward coming on up into Indiana and locating in Grant county, where John Harry's boyhood and young manhood were spent. He then went to Franklin county, this state, and there married Catherine Spears, who also was born in Virginia and who had come into this state, by way of Kentucky, with her parents, the family settling in Franklin county. When President Lincoln's first call for seventy-five thousand volunteers to put down the Southern rebellion was made, John Harry responded to the same and enlisted as a private in Company C, Sixteenth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. At the end of his initial term of enlistment he re-enlisted and served altogether as a soldier of the Union for four years and ten months, during the most of which time his command was attached to the Army of the Potomac. During his army service Mr. Harry was on one occasion captured by the enemy and for nine months thereafter was confined in Libby Prison, the terrible deprivations he suffered there so weakening him that he had to be carried out on a stretcher when he finally was exchanged. Upon the completion of his military service Mr. Harry returned to his home in Jackson township, this county and attempted to resume his farming, but his health was so badly broken by the sufferings he had undergone in a Rebel prison that he was practically an invalid from that time on and he died in 1871, the subject of this sketch being then but four years of age. John Harry left a widow and four children, all of whom are still living, the subject of this sketch having a brother, John Harry, and two sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Reed and Mrs. Matilda Maple. Some time after the death of her soldier husband the mother of these children married Richard Daniels and is now living near Milton, in Wayne county, in the eightieth year of her age.

William T. Harry was reared on a farm and has spent most of his life farming, though for some time in the days of his young manhood he worked in a spring factory. When the Spanish-American War broke out in 1898 he enlisted his services and was assigned to Battery L, First Heavy Artillery, United States Army, and served until the end of his term of enlistment, chiefly on coast-guard duty, though for awhile he was stationed on shipboard, on patrol duty. Mr. Harry has traveled over a considerable portion of the United States, including Oregon, California, Florida and other sections. In 1901 he married and since then has been chiefly engaged in farming. For the past three years he and his wife have been making their home on the old Brumfield farm in Jackson township, where they are very pleasantly and very comfortably situated. Mr. and Mrs. Harry are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a warm interest in the general social activities of the community in which they live. Mr. Harry's paternal grandfather was a pioneer Baptist preacher and rode a circuit on horseback through Grant and adjoining counties in early days, being for years one of the best-known and most influential figures in that part of the state.

On February 14, 1901, William T. Harry was united in marriage to Rosella Brumfield, who was born on a pioneer farm in the western part of Jackson township, the daughter of Daniel and Hannah (White) Brumfield, both of whom also were born in this county, members of pioneer families. Daniel Brumfield was born in the western part of Jackson township in 1841, a son of John and Catherine (Myers) Brumfield, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Virginia, who were married in Ohio and later came to Indiana, settling in this county, where their last days were spent. John Brumfield was born in Bracken county, Kentucky, in 1806, a son of William Brumfield and wife. William Bmmfield died in Kentucky and his widow and children moved to Miamisburg, near Dayton, Ohio, where John Brumfield grew to manhood and where he married Catherine Myers, who was born in Virginia and who had moved to Miamisburg, Ohio, with her parents, John and Catherine (Neff) Myers. About 1830 the Myers family moved over into Indiana and settled in the western part of Jackson township, this county. About three years later John Brumfield and wife also came on over here and located on a farm adjoining the Myers place and there both families spent the remainder of their lives and are buried in a little family graveyard at the top of the bluff just south of the Brumfield home, where Mr. and Mrs. Harry are now living.

John Brumfield had been trained to the trade of a wagonmaker in Ohio and for five or six years after coming to this county followed that same vocation, after which he entered upon the life of an agriculturist and farmed for the rest of his life. When he took possession of his farm but a small portion of it had been cleared and the task of preparing the place for cultivation fell upon him. He and his wife were the parents of twelve children, but six of whom grew to maturity. Henry, George, John and Susan dying of typhoid fever about 1856; another died of scarlet fever at the age of two years and a daughter, Amanda, died in girlhood. Of the other six, Sarah remained a spinster and lived to the age of seventy-nine, her death occurring in April, 1915. Of those who married, Daniel, Mrs. Mary Jane Elliot and Benjamin are now deceased, there being but two survivors of the family, Mrs. Kate Neff, of Connersville, and Alonzo D. Brumfield, of Hancock county, this state.

Daniel Brumfield spent his life as a farmer on the farm in Jackson township where the Harrys are now living. He erected a handsome and substantial home and had a good farm of one hundred and thirty-one acres there and another tract of good farm land at Mt. Zion. In addition to his general farming, he gave much attention to the raising of pure-bred live stock, with particular reference to Aberdeen cattle, and did very well in his operations, long having been regarded as one of the most substantial and progressive farmers in that part of the county. His wife, Hannah White, who was born in Waterloo township, a daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Boyd) White, died on February 5, 1884, leaving two daughters, Mrs. Harry having a sister, Mrs. Clara Lockhart, of Connersville. Daniel Brumfield later married Anna Trusler, also a native of this county, born in Jackson township, a daughter of Milton and Isabel Trusler, and to that union was born one child, a son, Daniel Milton Brumfield, who is now living at Iowa City, an instructor in Iowa University. Daniel Brumfield died on August 29, 1915. His wife, Anna, had preceded him to the grave about two years, her death having occurred in 1913. They were members of the Universalist church and Mr. Brumfield was a member of the Everton lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Daniel Brumfield was born on March 10, 1841, and his early schooling was obtained in the little log school house near Smallwood, his teacher having been the late John Lockhart. He later entered the seminary near Knightstown and finished the course there. He was twenty-one years of age when he married and he and his wife started housekeeping in a cottage on the place where Walter Neff now lives and there their daughter Rosella was born. In 1865 he bought the Jarvis Ball place, where his daughter .Clara was born, and in 1875 erected the present house on that place. There he spent the remainder of his life. He was an active, energetic man and did much toward the general development of that part of the county in which he lived so long.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Ulysses Grant Hinchman, one of Fairview township's best-known and most substantial farmers and for years actively identified with the public life of that community, was born on the old Hinchman farm, over the line in Union township, Rush county, a farm that had been settled by his grandfather, and has lived in that vicinity all his life. He was born on October 15, 1868, son of Allen and Nancy (Moffett) Hinchman, prominent residents of that community, both of whom were born in that same vicinity and both of whom are now deceased.

Allen Hinchman was born on a pioneer farm in Union township, Rush county, now far from the Fayette county line, February 3, 1836, son of John and Margaret (Nickell) Hinchman, natives of Virginia and early settlers in Rush county. John Hinchman was born in Monroe county, Virginia, October 10, 1801, a son of John and Sarah (Vinson) Hinchman, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Virginia. The senior John Hinchman was the descendant of an Englishman who came to the American colonies when the Calverts were the governors of Maryland colony. When fourteen years of age the place of his residence was changed to Monroe county, Virginia, where he grew to manhood and where he married Sarah Vinson, who was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, but who had moved to Monroe county with her parents when she was a girl. To that union were born six sons and five daughters, Joseph, William, Thomas, James, John, Andrew, Polly, Melinda, Nancy, Elizabeth and Cynthia.

The junior John Hinchman grew up in the Old Dominion and in 1822, being then twenty-one years of age, he and his brother James came out to Indiana and entered land from the government in Union township, Rush county. Returning to Virginia, he there, on August 12, 1823, was united in marriage to Margaret Nickell, daughter of George and Margaret (Nelson) Nickell, natives of Monroe county, that state, the former of English descent and the latter of Irish descent. In the fall of that same year he and his bride came out here into the then "wilds" of Indiana to make their home on the land he had entered from the government the year before. Upon his arrival in Rush county, John Hinchman had but fifty cents remaining, but he and his wife had stout hearts and willing hands and they lost little time in getting their humble home established in the "spice brush." He would work all day at clearing the place of its dense growth of timber and underbrush and at night his wife, whose days would be equally well filled with the manifold duties of her household, would help him in the task of burning the accumulated brush. Thus facing difficulties that would have discouraged less dauntless hearts, they persevered and in time had a comfortable home and were on the highway to prosperity. John Hinchman was a good manager and as he prospered he added to his land holdings until he came to be the owner of more than one thousand acres of land in Rush county, besides valuable property in Connersville, his estate at the time of his death being valued at above seventy-five thousand dollars, a considerable fortune for those days. Originally a Whig, he became a Republican upon the organization of the latter party and was an ardent supporter of the principles of the same. From the very beginning of the general wave of anti-slavery sentiment he was an out-spoken Abolitionist and was one of the foremost leaders in that movement throughout this part of the state. Two of his sons, Ira and Morris, served as soldiers in the Union army during the Civil War and Ira Hinchman was severely wounded. Ever an active participant in public affairs, John Hinchman served his township in a number of positions of trust and also was for some time a member of the board of commissioners of Rush county. He gave freely to churches and schools and during the days of the railroad agitation contributed thousands of dollars to the promotion of railway projects in Rush county. He also contributed earlier to the building of the White Water canal and was equally liberal with his contributions to the cause of better roads and public improvements in general. His death occurred on June 2, 1865, and his widow survived him for more than thirteen years, her death occurring on October 5, 1878. She was one of the thirty persons who founded the Union Church of Christ on Ben Davis creek on June 20, 1839, one of the first organizations of the Christian church in Indiana, and was ever a leader in good works in the community which she had seen develop from log-cabin days, both she and her husband ever striving to-make better conditions of living in the neighborhood in which they took so much pride and delight. They were the parents of thirteen children, Joseph, William, Madison, Margaret, James, George, Allen, John H., Sanford, Ira, Morris, Marshall and Jacob.

Allen Hinchman grew to manhood on his father's farm and his life proved him worthy of his parents. He was a man of large physique and was equally strong morally and mentally, like his father ever taking a warm interest in movements designed to advance the common welfare. He was an ardent Republican and in 1895 was elected to the board of commissioners of Rush county. It was during that incumbency that Rush county's new court house was built and Mr. Hinchman, as a member of the board, from the very first insisted on a building commensurate with the growing greatness of the rich county. any shouted "economy" and he met with a storm of opposition, but he persevered, traveling to other states to get the latest ideas concerning court-house construction, and finally won out in behalf of the plans for a good court house. Before the building was completed all were applauding the spirit that had prompted him to stand out for the best. Mr. Hinchman also was vitally interested in the religious life of his community and for years was an office-bearer in the Christian church, to the affairs of which both he and his wife gave their most earnest attention.

On December 22, 1858, Allen Hinchman was united in marriage to Nancy Moffett, who was born in Fairview township, this county, April 23, 1840, a daughter of Andrew and Athalia (Rees) Moffett, worthy pioneers of Fayette county. She joined the Wylie Chapel Methodist church when a girl, but after her marriage joined the Ben Davis Creek Christian church, with which she and her husband remained affiliated until their retirement from the farm and removal to Rushville in 1900, when they transferred their church letters to the church at that place. There Mrs. Hinchman died on December 25, 1912, she then being seventy-two years of age. It has been written of her that "her Christian character shone out in her everyday life. She was cheerful in spirit, a woman of prayer, and left a legacy of an example of goodly living." After the death of his wife Allen Hinchman made his home with his son, the subject of this sketch, where his death occurred on June 4, 1915. He and his wife were the parents of seven children, but two of whom now survive, Minnie, wife of Albert E. Rich, and Ulysses G., the subject of this biographical sketch, the others having been, Margaret, who married Milton T. Smiley, and died on June 18, 1912; Nora, who married M. W. McCann, and died on July 30, 1907; George W., who married Pearl Shank, and died on September 7, 1908, had one daughter, Ruth E., and two who died in infancy.

Ulysses G. Hinchman grew up on the paternal farm over the line in Rush county, attending the Glenwood high school, Fairview Academy and Butler College, in which latter institution his father was a stockholder. After leaving college he began farming and after his marriage, in 1890, he established his home on the old Andrew Moffett homestead in Fairview township; the home of his mother's father. There he lived for four years, at the end of which time, in 1894, he bought the eighty acres known as the Jesse Shortridge farm, a mile and a half south and a mile east of Fairview, and there has lived ever since. About ten years after taking possession of that place he bought an adjoining eighty and thus has a quarter of a section there, besides a quarter of a section over in Union township, Rush county, a part of the old Hinchman homestead farm there. His father gave him an "eighty" there and he later bought an adjoining tract of eighty acres, his combined land holdings now amounting to an even half section. Mr. Hinchman is a Republican and has held some local offices, as a matter of public duty, ever taking an earnest interest in local civic affairs, as did his father and his grandfather. Besides his farming operations he is interested in some other enterprises of a business character and is a stockholder in the Glenwood Bank. He and his family are members of the Christian church and have ever given earnest attention to church work, as well as to other community good works.

On October 22, 1890, Ulysses G. Hinchman was married. His wife, Eva M. Huston, was born at Orange, this county, April 30, 1870, and was educated in the school at Orange. She is a daughter of Thomas M. and Mary E. (Harris) Huston, both also natives of this county. Thomas M. Huston was born at Orange on February 2, 1840, a son of William and Jane (Ramsey) Huston, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of the state of Ohio. Huston was born in County Antrim, Ireland, and when a lad was left an orphan. He later came to Indiana with his aunt, Rosanna Houston, and settled in this county, locating north of Connersville. He married Jane Ramsey, who was born in Preble county, Ohio, the first white child born in Israel township. After his marriage he located at Orange, where he spent the remainder of his life. Thomas M. Huston grew up at Orange as a farmer and remained there until 1890, when he moved to a farm near Knightstown, later removing to the city of Knightstown, where he now resides. He is a veteran of the Civil War, having served as a member of Company L, Third Regiment Indiana Cavalry, during the struggle between the States, later being transferred to the Eighth Indiana Cavalry. Five of his brothers and brothers-in-law also served as soldiers of the Union during that struggle. He was present at the raising of "Old Glory" over Fort Sumter, April 14, 1565, just four years after it was pulled down. Mr. Hinchman's wife, Mary E. Harris, was born in Fayette county, a daughter of William K. and Sarah Ann (Sutton) Harris, who came to this state from Pennsylvania. Sarah Ann Sutton, a native of Pennsylvania, was an orphan and came here with the McCready family. William Harris, a native of Delaware, was a school teacher in Pennsylvania, his home being along the Schuylkill river. His mother and the mother of Governor Morton, Indiana's war governor, were relatives. When a young man he came down the Ohio river on a flatboat to Cincinnati and thence on up here, and was married after he came to Franklin county on March 18, 1842. He later moved to this county and during the greater part of his life here he was engaged in the making of boots and shoes, being a skilled craftsman in that line. Mary E. Harris grew up here and. was married in this county. Both Thomas M. Huston and his father took an active part in local affairs. Eva M. Huston grew up at Orange and accompanied her parents when they moved to the farm near Knightstown, where she was living when she married Mr. Hinchman. To that union three children have been born, Clarence Paul, Allen Berle and Mary Athalia. Dr. Clarence Paul Hinchman, now a practicing physician at Geneva, Indiana, was graduated from the Connersville high school in 1910, having had his earlier schooling in the Fairview schools. In the fall of that year he entered Indiana University, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1914, and from the School of Medicine, of which institution he was graduated in 1916, following which he was given a year of hospital work as an interne in the City Hospital at Indianapolis. He then passed the examination of the state board of medical examiners and was licensed to practice medicine, having passed with a grade of nine hundred and forty-nine points out of a possible one thousand points, the highest record made for many years. Doctor Hinchman is a member of the Delta Upsilon and Phi Chi fraternities, and takes a warm interest in the affairs of these organizations. On April 17, 1913, he married Nellie Lee Shortridge, daughter of Sanford and Ida (Dora) Shortridge, and to this union twin sons were born, one of whom died in infancy, the surviving child being Wayne Deryl.

Allen Berle Hinchman was graduated from the Connersville high school in 1912, his previous schooling having included a course of three years in Fairview Academy. He then spent the terms of 1912-13 and 1913-14 as a student in the agricultural department of Purdue University, during which period he became affiliated with the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. On December 11, 1916, he married Vera V. Poppoon, daughter of John and Florence (Griffin) Poppoon, of the Raleigh neighborhood, over in Rush county. Allen Berle Hinchman and wife live on the old Allen Hinchman farm in Rush county, thus occupying in the fourth generation the place originally entered by his great-grandfather back in pioneer days and which is now owned by U. G. Hinchman.

Mary Athalia Hiilchman was graduated from the Fairview high school in 1913 and in 1911 was graduated from the commissioned high school course in the Muncie Normal School. She then entered Butler College, but on account of illness was compelled to abandon her studies there in February, 1915. She has made a special study of elocution and oratory and has become quite proficient along those lines.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Thomas C. McBurney, long a resident of Fayette county, and now a well-known, retired citizen of Connersville, was born in Preble county, Ohio, on May 21, 1815, the son of Samuel and Jane (Hall) McBurney.

Samuel and Jane (Hall) McBunley were natives of Ireland and there they received their education in the public schools, grew up and were married. They established their home in their native land, but soon thereafter decided to come to America. On their arrival in the United States they settled on a farm in Preble county, Ohio. Mr. McBurney was not to long , enjoy the pleasures of working for a home in the new land, for his death occurred in 1848. The widow continued to live in the county and rear her children, and there she died in 1888. She was a woman of remarkable ability, and a splendid manager. Her life was for the most part a busy one, yet she took much pleasure in the care and attention of her children, after the death of her husband. Both Mr. and Mrs. McRurney were hardworking people and were greatly admired for their many qualities of true manhood and womanhood. They were the parents of five children, as follows, Eliza Ann, William John, James B., Margaret and Thomas C., all of whom are now deceased with the exceptions of James B., of Kingman county, Kansas, and Thomas C.

Thomas C. McBurney received but a limited education in the schools of Preble county, 0hio where he was born and reared. Circumstances made it necessary that he should begin life's battle for himself at the age when most boys are in school. He worked as a farm hand and thus supposed himself and assisted his mother, as much as it was possible for him to do. He learned the painter's trade at which he worked for about three years. In 1868 he was united in marriage to Etta Campbell, of Bloomington, Indiana, and the daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Payton) Campbell. For two years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. McBurney lived in Preble county, when in 1870, they came to Rush county, Indiana. Here Mr. McBurney engaged in general farming by the day and for two years he worked for J. B. Cook. He then came to Fayette county, and for eight years he farmed on the Robert Martin place in Orange township. The family then moved to Glenwood, Indiana, where Mr. McBurney engaged in teaming until 1882, when he came to Connersville and engaged in the lumber and timber business. He continued in this business until 1901, since which time he has devoted himself to the interest of his farm of two hundred acres in Connersville township, one and one-half miles west of town. He is successful in the management of his farm and his stock and insists upon the best cultivation, and keeps some splendid stock. In addition to large interests in the farm, he is a stockholder in the Fayette Farmers and Merchants Trust Company at Connersville and a director of the Bank of Glenwood, at Glenwood, Indiana.

Mr. and Mrs. McBurney are the parents of one child, Rossie M., who received her, education in the local and high school, and is now at home with her parents. The mother and daughter are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take much interest in all church and religious work. The family are prominent in the social life of their home city, where they are held in high regard.

Mr. McBurney is a Republican and has always taken a keen interest in local affairs, and was for six years a member of the county council of Fayette county, and for two years a member of the city council of Connersville, in which capacity he was recognized as a faithful public servant. His best efforts were exerted in the interests of the general public and for the growth and betterment of the county and city. He was most progressive and advocated improvements that would bring the most good to the greatest number of people. He believed in substantial public improvements, and the enforcement of the laws as they are written. He rendered much valuable service to the city and assisted in the inauguration of reforms, that will have a lasting effect on the future greatness of the city. He has always taken the deepest interest in the success of the sc~mls, for he has known from experience the hardships of a limited education. The present beautiful high school was built while he was a member of the city council.

Mr. McBurney has had a busy and eventful life. Thrown upon his own resources, when he was but a lad, he has known what it was to shift for himself. Starting life with a limited education, and with no finincia1 support, he has risen to a position of influence, and is today recognized as one of the substantial and successful men of the county. He has always-been a hard worker and a good manager. His early life on the farm and in the timber business was to him what school would be to most boys. His desire was ever to give to his employers the best service that was his to give, and whether he was in the log lumber business, on the farm or teaming, he felt the dignity of his work, and when yet a lad, became impressed with the notion that to succeed one must do well the work in hand, and not wait for another position to demonstrate his ability. Today, the orphan lad of marry years ago, in that Ohio county, is an honored and respected citizen of one of the thriving little cities of Indiana, for here Thomas C. McBurney is held in the highest esteem by all who know him.

In 1903 was organized the Fayette county Free Fair, and Mr. McBurney was one of the organizers, he has been superintendent of the fair ever since except for one year and was president for one year.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Josephus Wright Holter, a well-known and prominent resident of Connersville, Fayette county, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, on November 24, 1871, and is the son of Gen. Marcellus John Wesley Holter, whose wife was Helen Jefferies. The parents were natives of Ohio and there they were educated in the public schools; grew up and were married. The father enlisted in the army at the time of the Civil War, and entered the service as a private, and was mustered out as a brigadier-general.

Marcellus John Wesley Holter was born on a farm near Olive Branch, Clermont county, Ohio, January 10, 1834 and was in his eightieth year at the time of his death. He inherited a vigorius physical and mental constitution. His education was rounded out by one years attendance at the Farmer's College, College Hill, Ohio, when Freeman Carey was its president. He was teaching school at the oufbreak of the Civil War and resigned his position to enlist as a private soldier. He first enlisted in Company E, Twenty-second Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served during the three months memorable campaign in western Virginia, during which time he was promoted to orderly sergeant.

On September 3, 1861, Orderly-sergeant Holter enlisted in Company F, Fifty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and in a few weeks was appointed first lieutenant, serving until August, 1862, when he was made adjutant of the regiment. On May 27, 1864, he was taken prisoner at the battle of New Hope Church, Georgia, in which battle his brother, Rufus, was killed. He was confined in three southern prisons and in November, 1864, was exchanged by a mistake. In March, 1865, General Cowen appointed Holter, who was then a captain, to be lieutenant-colonel of the One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, by telegram without previous notice. The regiment was placed in his command and sent to Shenandoah Valley.

In July, 1865, the regiment was ordered to Alexandria, Virginia, where the government stores were placed under Colonel Holter's charge. While at Alexandria he was commissioned colonel, and in April, 1865, he was brevetted brigadier-general for gallant and meritorious service. He was stationed at Alexandria until December, 1865, when he was mustered out. General Holter participated, among others, in the following battles - Ivy Mountain, Pittsburg Landing, Stone's River, Crab Orchard, Perryville, Wild-Cat Mountain, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. He was with Sherman's army in the Atlanta campaign and was engaged at Tunnel Hill, Buzzard Roost, Adamsville, Dallas and New Hope Church, where he was captured. He was wounded but once and then not seriously. He was among the first to reach the top of the crest at Missionary Ridge, where he planted the regimental colors on a Confederate battery. While doing this, the scabbard of his sword was shot off.

As a husband, father, friend and private citizen, his life depicted a pastoral. His career as a soldier developed an epic. His memory will shed a perpetual benediction.

Josephus Wright Holter received his primary education in the public schools of his native state and then took a course in a business college and engaged in the work of a bookkeeper. He came to Indiana in the year 1892, and engaged with the Indiana Furniture Company, with whom he remained for several years. He was later with the McFarlan Company and is now employed with the Rex Company, whose service he entered as an inspector and now has charge of the stock department.

On November 22, 1897, Josephus Wright Holter was united in marriage to May Webb, who was born eight miles southwest of Connersville, in Columbia township, and is the daughter of Forrest M. and Cornelia (Jones) Webb. Her father was born on the farm in the county, that his grandfather Edward Webb had owned. Both her father and mother were born in Columbia township, Fayette county. Great-grandfather Webb, who was Edward, was born in 1769 in Virginia. He went to Boone county, Kentucky, then to Indiana Territory, near Harrison, Ohio, and later, in 1811, to Fayette county, Columbia township, where he died on July 21, 1851. He was one of the associate judges for twenty-seven years. Since that time the farm has been out of the family for but thirty years, and is now owned by May Webb Holter. Forrest Webb received his education in the old log school house. He continued to reside on the old Webb homestead, until the death of his wife, Cornelia (Jones) Webb, on May 24. 1880, when he retired from the farm, and was later married and moved to Laurel. In addition to being a successful farmer, Mr. Webb, at one time operated a grist-mill at Milroy, and was interested in a drug-store with Doctor Gifford. He was also an extensive dealer in live stock, and was known as one of the substantial and influential men of the county. He was a stanch Republican, and his father had been a supporter of the principles of the Whig party. He was always active in local affairs and held many of the township offices. He was an active member of the Christian church and of the Knights of Pythias lodge. By his first wife he was the father of three children, Forrest, who died in 1876; Nellie May and Paul Jones, who is now deceased. By his second marriage one child was born, Harry I., a conductor on the Big Four railroad. The Webb family were always prominent in the activities of the county, and had much to do with its development and improvement. The early members of the family having come to this section of the state when the greater part of the district was an undeveloped wilderness, and when the government was still having 'much' trouble with the Indians. Their lives were hard ones, and much honor and credit are due them for the work that they did. They assisted in the laying of a foundation for a splendid government, the establishment of good schools and the building of churches. Today the splendid farms, modern schools, beautiful churches and up-to-date towns and cities are due to the men and women who first settled in this county.

Josephus Wright and May (Webb) Holter are the parents of one child, Forrest Webb, who was born on September 6, 1899. He is now a student in the high school at Connersville and will finish the course of study with the class of 1917. Mr. and Mrs. Holter have long been prominent in the social and the religious life of their home community, and are a most worthy people, who are held in the highest regard by all who know them. Their families have had much to do with the history making of the United States, as well as the state of Indiana. Representatives of the family were active in the War of the Revo1ution, the Indian wars, as well as the wars in which the nation has been engaged. They are of families of patriots and noble citizens, who have rendered valuable services at all times. They have been closely identified with the interests of Fayette county and the city of Connersville for many years, and their best efforts have always been given for the advancement of their home community. "History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

William W. Wainwright, president of the Wainwright Engineering Corporation, of Connersville, has been a resident of that city since the year 1871, and has had much to do with the later development of the city in an industria1 way. He was born at Cottage Grove, in Union county, this state, June 7, 1854, son of Benjamin J. and Huldah (Miller) Wainwright, the former a native of the state of Virginia and the latter of Preble county, Ohio, and who were the parents of six children, those besides the subject of this sketch being as follow: Anna M., who married Dr. T. P. Wagoner, of Knightstown, this state, and is now deceased; Luella, who married John Todd, of Logansport, this state; Lucy, who died in infancy, and Ida Belle and Charles Franklin, who died in youth.

Benjamin J. Wainwright was but a child when his parents, Isaac and Margaret (Johnson) Wainwright, moved from Virginia to Indiana and settled on a farm in Union county and there he grew to manhood. Isaac Wainwright was born in the city of Philadelphia and his wife was a native of Virginia. He died in Union county, this state, at the age of eighty-four. He has thrice married; the grandmother of the subject of this sketch having been his second wife. Benjamin J. Wainwright married Huldah Miller, who was born in the neighborhood of Eaton, in Preble county, Ohio, daughter of Melyne and Huldah (Ayers) Miller, early settlers of that county, the former of whom, a native of New.Jersey, was a surveyor and engineer. Melyne Miller and his wife spent their last days in Preble county, both living to advanced ages. Not long after his marriage Benjamin J. Wainright moved to Iowa and settled on a homestead farm near Wapello, in Louisa county, which he proceeded to develop and on which for some years he was actively engaged in the raising of live stock. He later disposed of his interests there and returned East, making his home for some time thereafter at Eaton, Ohio, but later went to Black Rock, Arkansas, where his death occurred in 1898. His widow survived him for about eight years, her death occurring at the home of her son, the subject of this sketch, at Connersville, April 11, 1906, she then being eighty-two years of age. Benjamin J. Wainwright and wife were members of the Methodist church and their children were reared in that faith.

William W. Wainwright was but a small child when his parents moved from Indiana to Iowa and much of the time m his early boyhood days was spent in the saddle, herding cattle on his father's ranch in the latter state. He was not yet sixteen years of age when the family returned East, December 29, 1869, and he completed his schooling at Eaton, Ohio, where he began working in a brick yard. In August, 1871, he came over into Indiana and began working in the old Eagle mills in East Connersville, and was there employed until the day before Christmas Day of that same year. On the day following Christmas he started to work in a machine shop at Connersville, with a view to learning the machinist's trade, and he ever since has been engaged along this line, long having been regarded as one of the leading machinist-engineers in this part of the state. After his marriage in 1876 Mr. Wainwright further qualified himself by technical study and was not long thereafter made foreman of the machine plant in which he was working and was later made superintendent of the same. In 1903 Mr. Wainwright started in business for himself, establishing a small machine shop and undertaking general manufacturing, engineering and contracting. From the very beginning of this venture the business proved successful and the establishment has been enlarged from time to time until it now employs nearly two hundred persons. In May, 1905, Mr. Wainwright associated with him in the business his eldest son, Harry A. Wainwright, and in 1916 another son, Benjamin F. Wainwright, was taken into the concern, which at the same time was reorganized and incorporated as the Wainwright Engineering Corporation and has since been doing business under that firm style, but later severed his connections and moved to Macon, Georgia, to organize a manufacturing company in which he was to be largely interested. Mr. Wainwright is independent in his political views and has never taken a particularly active part in political affairs. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, affiliated with Warren Lodge No. 15, Free and Accepted Masons, at Connersville, and with the consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, at Indianapolis.

On June 11, 1876, William W. Wainwright was united in marriage to Wilhelmina C. Baker, who was born at Essen, the seat of the great Krupp gun works, in Germany, daughter of Leopold and Wilhelmina (Wickahoff) Baker, also natives of Germany, both now deceased, who were the parents of six children, those besides Mrs. Wainwright being Henry L., Maximilian, Charles, Lena and one who died in infancy. To Mr. and Mrs. Wainwright six children have been born, namely: Harry A., who is associated with his father in the Wainwright Engineering Corporation and who married Emma K. Frank and has three children, Francis Jack, William Nelson and Richard Denman; Mabel C., who is at home; Charles F., who married Hazel Gibbs and lives in Chicago; Benjamin F., who married Marie Fowler, of Macon, Georgia; Emmet P., an artist and newspaper cartoonist, who married Ella Cornell, of Logansport, Indiana, and William Warren, Jr., a machinist, who lives at home. The Wainwrights have a very pleasant home at Connersville and have ever taken a proper interest in the general social activities of their home city.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Alanson Adams, a well-known manufacturer of pumps, and now living a retired life at Connersville, Fayette county, was born at Lodi, New York, on December 6, 1835, and is the son of Wilson T. and Elizabeth (Fruits) Adams.

Wilson T. Adams was born in Maryland in the year 1796, where he lived until the time of his marriage to Elizabeth Fruits, who was born in Kentucky, at the head of Lucky river, in 1800. They were educated in the schools of their respective states, and soon after their marriage they came to Indiana and established their home at Franklin, in the year 1817. As a young man, Mr. Adams learned the trade of a cabinet-maker, at which he worked in Franklin and later moved to Brookville, where he had a mill. His home near Brookville was in the heavy timber and during a part of the year, he did much hunting and trapping, and met with considerable success. He and his wife later moved to the state of New York, and located in Cattaraugus county, where they lived for thirty-five years, and reared a large family of children. Mr. Adams at this time in his life decided to return to Indiana, and made much of the trip by river boat, loaded with lumber. He purchased one hundred pumps made out of cucumber timber, and on his arrival in the state, he 1ocated in Fayette county, near Everton, on Ellis creek. He did much business in the pump business and was the originator of the Adams pump, the first modern wood pump of its kind put on the market. He also invented the cylinder pump, for which he gained much recognition. He lived on Ellis creek for many years and later sold to his son, Sabine, and took up his home on Bear creek, where he died some years ago. His widow died at the home of her son. Alanson, Jr. and Mrs. Adams were the parents of the following children: an infant, Ambrose, Andrew, Sabina, Martin, Lydia, Marion, Alanson, David, Sarah and Wilson. The family are now all deceased with the exception of Alanson, David, who lives with his children; Sarah, the widow of John Hamilton, and Wilson, of Kokomo, Indiana.

Alanson Adams received his education in the old log school house, with a slab for a seat and a shelf on the side of the building for a desk. He remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he started in the pump business for himself on Bear creek. He remained there for seven years, when he purchased land on Ellis creek, and in 1898 moved to Jonesboro, Indiana, where he remained for twelve years and for one year he lived at Lyonsville. In February, 1862, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Taylor, who was born in Jackson township, Fayette county, and was the daughter of Samuel and Lunda (Water) Taylor.

Alanson and Elizabeth Adams were the parents of twelve children, four of whom are now living: William Henry, Elizabeth, Samuel, and Wilson T. William Henry was born in Fayette county, where he received his education and grew to manhood. He engaged in the pump business and now lives at East Connersville. He is married to Elizabeth Crolley and they are the parents of six children, Walter, Robert, Nellie, Marie, Kenneth and Homer. Elizabeth was also born in Fayette county, and here received her education in the public schools. She was first married to George Horning, and after his death was united in marriage to Lucas Browning, of East Connersville, and to them have been born five children: Ralph, Rufus, Frank, Curtis, and Lina. Samuel, a native of the county, is now successfully engaged in general farming, and the mill business in Jackson township. He is married to Mary C. Bradburn, and they are the parents of the following children: Edward, now deceased; Arvilla, Stella and Effie. Wilson T. is a teamster of East Connersville, and is married to Grace Fleming, and to them have been born three children, Wilburn, Josephine and Russell. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Adams is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias. William Henry is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and Wilson is a Mason, a Red Man and a Moose.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Edgar Dwight Johnston, president and general manager of the P. H. & F. M. Roots Company at Connersville, president of the Connersville Hydraulic Company, president of the Hydro-Electric Light and Power Company and a member of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Connersville, is a native of the neighboring state of Ohio, but has been a resident of Connersville since 1885 and has thus been a witness to and a participant in the wonderful development that has marked the industrial and commercial life of that city within the past thirty years. He was born at Cedarville, in Greene county, Ohio, October 11, 1861, son of David and Eliza (Bogle) Johnston, natives of that same state, both now deceased, whose last days were spent in the city of Tacoma, Washington.

David Johnston was born on a farm in Adams county, Ohio, son of David Johnston and wife, pioneers of that county, the latter of whom died in Ohio and the former in the state of Iowa, who were the parents of several children, among whom were Robert, David and Sallie. The younger David Johnston became engaged in the wool trade and also was interested in the pork-packing business. He later became engaged in the piano business in Cincinnati and from that city moved to Tacoma, Washington, where he engaged in business in the same line and where he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1913, at seventy-seven years of age. His wife had preceded him to the grave about seven years, her death having occurred in Tacoma in 1906, at seventy-three years of age. She was a daughter of James Bogle and wife, who were early settlers in the Springfield neighborhood, in Clark county, Ohio, and who were the parents of eight children, those besides Mrs. Johnston having been Retta, Jennie, Elmira, Cora, Mattie, Joseph and James. David Johnston and his wife were reared in the old Covenanter or Reformed Presbyterian church, but later became members of the Presbyterian church, in which for years the former was an elder, and their children were reared in that faith. There were six of these children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth, the others being as follow: James Stewart, deceased; Howard Agnew, of Chicago, Illinois; Mary Elizabeth, wife of James Simon, of Chatham, Ontario; Jennie Retta, wife of E. W. McKenna, of New York City, and David Walter, of Chicago.

Edgar Dwight Johnston spent his childhood in Cedarville, Ohio, and there received his early schooling, continuing his studies in the public schools at Portsmouth and later taking up the study of music and voice culture at Cincinnati. Upon completing his studies in that connection he was made a teacher of piano and voice in the College of Music at Cincinnati and continued thus engaged there until 1885, when, after his marriage, he became connected with the P. H. & F. M. Roots Company at Connersville and moved to this city, where he has made his home ever since. This company was incorporated in 1887, with a capital stock of one hundred thousand dollars, and has since been engaged in the manufacture of positive pressure blowers, gas exhausters and pumps. The company employs about two hundred and fifty men and its products are sold in all parts of the world. In 1889 Mr. Johnston was elected vice-president and general manager of the company and in 1898 was elected president of the same, a position he ever since has occupied. He is also president of the Connersville Hydraulic Company, president of the Hydraulic-Electric Light and Power Company of that city and a member of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Connersville. Mr. Johnston is a Republican, but has not been a seeker after public office.

On October 8, 1885, Edgar D. Johnston was united in marriage to Jane Lewis Roots, who was born in Connersville on October 17, 1864, daughter of Francis Marion and Esther E. (Pumphrey) Roots, the former a native of the state of Vermont and the latter of Virginia, both now deceased, who were for many years regarded as among the most substantial and influential residents of Connersville. The Roots came over into Indiana from Oxford, Ohio, who settled at Connersville, where, in 1859, Francis M. Roots and his brother, P. H. Roots, founded the P. H. & F. M. Roots Company for the purpose of operating a woolen-mill. During the Civil War period this company filled extensive contracts for woolen- goods for the manufacture of the uniforms of the Union soldiers and, after the war, continued to extend their operations, the company gradually expanding into its present prosperous proportions. Francis M. Roots and his wife spent their last days in Connersville, where their family was reared. They were the parents of six children, those besides Mrs. Johnston being Albert, Daniel T., Esther, Sylvia and Hal. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnston three children have been born, Francis, Esther Elizabeth and Sylvia Yale. Francis Johnston, who was attending New York University, was drowned while home on a vacation, he then being twenty years of age, and his body never was recovered. Esther E. Johnston, who was graduated from Tudor Hall at Indianapolis and later spent a year at Mrs. Somers' finishing school for young women at Washington, D. C., married Earl G. Meeks, of Muncie, this state, and has one child, a daughter, Sylvia Jane. Sylvia Yale Johnston also was graduated from Tudor Hall and was later graduated from the finishing school for young women at Briarcliff, New York. She married Logan G. Thompson, of Cincinnati, and has one child, a son, Dwight Johnston. Mr. and Mrs. Johnston are members of the Presbyterian church at Connersville, in the various beneficences of which they have for years taken an active interest, and Mr. Johnston is a member of the session of the same.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Though it has been many years since he left his boyhood home in this county to seek success in other lines and in other fields, William Winfield Scott, a well-known and successful druggist of Indianapolis, has never lost his love for the old home and the familiar scenes of his native county and among the works of art hanging on the walls of the library of his beautiful home in the capital city there are several paintings by the late R. B. Gruelle, depicting scenes in Fayette county. Among these is a painting of the old brick house in Orange township where Mr. Scott was reared, together with the noble grounds surrounding the same, and a view of that neighborhood looking far east to the blue hills beyond the White Water, and a scene near the point where Mr. Scott taught school in this county in the days of his young manhood. Not only are the scenes of Fayette county dear to the memory of Mr. Scott, but the history of the county in which his venerated father, Judge John Scott, labored so long and so usefully is precious to him and it is therefore but fitting and proper that there should here be presented something in a biographical way concerning this former resident of Fayette county, even though his active residence here ceased long ago.

William Winfield Scott was burn on a pioneer farm in Orange township, this county, February 7, 1852, son of Judge John and Sarah Snodgrass (Carter) Scott, the former of whom was a native of the state of Pennsylvania and the latter of Wytheville, Virginia, born on July 25, 1820, a daughter of Enos and Ann (Snodgrass) Carter, substantial and influential pioneers of Orange township. Enos Carter was born in Franklin county, Virginia, November 14, 1792, and at Wytheville, in that state, about 1819, married Ann Snodgrass, who was horn in Botentout county, that state, on April 4, 1796. After three of their children were born, they came to Indiana and settled in Fayette county, locating at first south of Columbia, near the mouth of Garrison creek, about 1823, where they remained until 1825 or 1826, when they moved farther up the creek and settled on land previously entered by their brother-in-law, John Cooley, in 1822, the same being the west half of the southwest quarter of section 1, township 13, range 11 east, now owned by John R. Gray, which they bought in 1828. On August 25, 1831, Enos Carter entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 1 and in the following year built on the same a hewed-log house. He was a carpenter by trade and he afterward weather boarded the house and made other improvements to the same, that pioneer structure standing to this day and still habitable. Enos Carter died in May, 1874. His wife had preceded him to the grave nearly twenty years, her death having occurred on June 11, 1856. They were the parents of eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom are now deceased.

Judge John Scott, as noted above, was a native of the old Keystone state, born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1799, a son of Robert and Martha Jane (Mitchell) Scott, the former of whom was a son of William Scott, of Scotch-Irish blood. Another son of William Scott was Moses Scott, who held a commission as a captain under General Harrison during the War of 1812. In 1804 Robert Scott moved from Pennsylvania to Adams county, Ohio, and settled at the mouth of Brush creek, where he died in the winter of 1811-12. He was born about 1770, probably in Pennsylvania; perhaps in Virginia. His widow, Martha Jane Mitchell Scott, survived him many years, her death occurring near Warren, Indiana, August 27, 1852. She was born on June 12, 1772, and was married about 1791. In the fall of 1820, when the lands of the "New Purchase" were thrown open to settlement, Moses Scott, son of Robert and brother of John, came over into Indiana and on October 19, at the land office in Brookville, entered a tract of land in what is now the extreme northeast corner of Orange township, this county, acting in that transaction both for himself and his brother John, and the brothers almost immediately thereafter entered upon possession of their pioneer tract in the wilderness and prepared the same for habitation. John Scott built a story-and-a-half log house near the center of the south half of the northeast quarter of section 36, in the northeast comer of Orange township, and then returned down the valley trail for his family, which meanwhile had been spending the season on General Harrison's farm at North Bend, he having previously moved them down the river from Adams county, Ohio, on a flatboat made by himself without aid of tools other than an ax and an auger, and in 1822 established his home in this county, his mother, brothers and sister accompanying him. One of John Scott's first acts after effecting a sufficient clearing on his place was to plant an orchard and set out a garden. At that time wolves still were plentiful thereabout and the howling of the "varmints" in the spice bush surrounding that humble pioneer home made the nights hideous.

John Scott was an active, energetic and progressive pioneer and it was not long before he had his home well established and was on his way to ultimate success. From the very beginning of his residence in this county he took an active part in local civic affairs, served for several terms as trustee of Orange township, for several terms as justice of the peace in and for that township and from 1847 to 18j2 was associate judge of Fayette county. Judge Scott's influence in the pioneer community ever was exerted in behalf of the good and not only in his magisterial capacity, but in his capacity as a citizen he was for many years a potent force in all good works in this county. It is said of him that perhaps there never was another man in this county who was so often chosen to administer the affairs of decedent's estates as was Judge Scott and he also served on innumerable occasions as an arbiter in disputes between neighbors, thus averting many a lawsuit. A notable instance of the high regard in which his services in this connection were held by his neighbors was in the case of a neighbor who for forty years had disagreed with the Judge over the location of a line fence, but he was chosen by the children of this neighbor as administrator of his estate. For many years Judge Scott served as a member of the board of directors of the Fayette County Agricultural Society and in that capacity and in other ways did much to promote the betterment of rural and general industrial conditions in this county. About fifteen years after he had built his log cabin in the wilderness he erected a substantial two-story brick house, made from bricks burned on the place, and in that fine old house he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring at Rushville, suddenly, December 2, 1871, he then being seventy-two years of age.

Judge John Scott was twice married. In 1831 he was united in marriage to Julia Orr, who was born in Kentucky in 1811, a daughter of John and Susan (Luke) Orr, who came to this county from Kentucky in pioneer days, and to that union four children were born. Julia Orr Scott died at her home in Orange township on January 3, 1846, and on March 30, 1847, Judge Scott married Sarah Snodgrass Carter, who was born in this county on July 20, 1820, daughter of Enos and Ann (Snodgrass) Carter, mention of whom has been made above, and to that union seven children were born. Mrs. Sarah S. Scott survived her husband many years, her death occurring at her home in Indianapolis on July 17, 1896. She was an earnest member of the Christian church and was ever devoted to good works, a strong and helpful influence in the social life of the community in which she lived during her many years of residence in this county. Of the eleven children of Judge John Scott, but two now survive, the subject of this sketch and his younger brother, John Mitchell Scott, who also is engaged in the drug business in Indianapolis and a biographical sketch of whom is presented elsewhere in this volume.

William W. Scott was reared on the paternal farm in Orange township and as a lad was a valuable assistant in the labors of improving and developing the same. He supplemented the schooling received in the local schools by a course in the Northwestern Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, and from 1870 to 1875 was engaged during the winters in teaching school in this county, teaching one term at the Samuel Little school and four terms in district No. 3, in the southwestern part of Connersville township. In the meantime he had been studying medicine with a view to devoting his life to the medical profession, but in the spring of 1875 became diverted from that course by a proposition from his medical preceptor, Dr. James W. Barnes, to engage with the latter in the drug business at Oxford, in Benton county, this state, and he formed a partnership with Doctor Barnes and went to Oxford, where he opened a drug store. In September of that same year Mr. Scott dissolved his partnership with Doctor Barnes and moved to the neighboring village of Otterbein, in the extreme southeastern corner of Benton county, and there formed a partnership with John A. Savage and with the latter was engaged in the drug business at Otterbein for about two years, at the end of which time he gave up the business there and moved to Indianapolis, where he ever since has made his home. When Mr. Scott went to Otterbein that place was just finding its place on the map, the village consisting of but a few houses, two stores and a grain elevator. During his residence there he served as postmaster of the place. In the fall of 1877 Mr. Scott took up his residence in Indianapolis. He had been married during the summer of the previous year and upon moving to Indianapolis established his home there and has ever since made that city his place of residence, for about forty years continuously engaged in the drug business, and is thus recognized as one of the veteran druggists of the capital city. Mr. Scott is a far-sighted business man and about ten years ago, recognizing in advance the wonderful strides the city was making toward the north, moved his drug store to its present site at College avenue and Maple Road boulevard and the success which has met him there affords ample evidence of the excellence of his judgment in making the change of location.

On August 16, 1876, William W. Scott gas united m marriage to Ida Gray, who was born in Indianapolis, daughter of Robert Patton and Lucinda W. (Clark) Gray, he a member of a pioneer family in the northeastern part of Orange township, this county, and she born in Maine. These parents had moved back to Fayette county, from Indianapolis when their daughter, Ida, was fourteen years of age. Robert Patton Gray was for some years engaged in the milling business in Indianapolis in association with his brother-in-law, John Carlisle, and later moved to Xenia, Ohio, where, from 1858 to 1861, he was the owner and publisher of the Xenia News, during which ownership he employed as editor his cousin, Whitelaw Reid, afterward owner and editor of the New York Tribune, who died while serving this country in the capacity of ambassador to England. Mr. Reid was succeeded in Mr. Gray's employ by Coates Kinney, who was a noted writer and poet. From the days of her childhood Mrs. Scott has taken much interest in music. After a course in music in the conservatory at Xenia she was employed as a teacher of music in Geneva College and was later engaged in operatic and other musical work in New York City. During her long residence in Indianapolis she ever has taken an active part in club work and in the work of promoting various modern reform movements and has been particularly active in her efforts in behalf of woman's suffrage. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have a delightful home in College avenue, Indianapolis, and have ever given proper attention to the general social activities of their home town, helpful in good works.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Azariah T. Beckett, one of Jackson township's well-known farmers, was born in the upper part of that township, in the immediate vicinity of the place on which he now lives, and has lived there all his life. He was born in a log house on the old Beckett homestead, January 31, 1852, youngest son of Azariah T. and Emily (Ross) Beckett, who were for years among the best-known residents of that section of the county and whose last days were spent there.

'The senior Azariah T. Beckett also was born in Jackson township, December 16, 1816, the year in which Indiana was admitted to statehood, and he lived to see this section develop from a wilderness to a highly developed land. He was a son of William T. and Dosia (Thorn) Beckett, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Indiana Territory in 1814 and settled in this county, becoming early recognized as among the most substantial and influential pioneers of the northeastern part of Jackson township.

William T. Beckett's father was a native of Ireland and had been educated in his native land for the priesthood. Coming to America, he settled in Pennsylvania, where he abandoned his plan of becoming a clergyman, married there and later moved to Butler county, Ohio, settling in the neighborhood of Hamilton, where he spent the remainder of his life. It was from that neighborhood that William T. Beckett and his wife moved up here into the then "wilds" of Indiana and established their home in Fayette county. Upon coming to this county William T. Beckett entered a tract of three hundred and twenty acres of "Congress land," later increasing his holdings, but afterward lost the greater part of his property through unfortunate investments. During the old "muster" days he was captain of the local militia and took an active part in public affairs. He served for years as justice of the peace in and for his home township and in other ways contributed to the public service. The log house in which he established his home in 1814 is still standing on the old homestead, now owned by his grandson, William E. Beckett, on the eastern edge of Jackson township. It was in that log house that Captain, or "Squire," Beckett used to hold court on the rare occasion that some local misdemeanant would be called before the bar of the court. The jury on such occasions would be sent to the upper room in the little cabin and would not be permitted to come down until a verdict had been reached. Happily, there was not much trouble or litigation in that neighborhood, for it was in the midst of a Quaker settlement and peace was the watchword of the settlers thereabout. There formerly stood just west of the Beckett homestead a Quaker meeting house, erected about 1816, but which has for many years existed only in the memory of a few old settlers, who still recall its appearance; the only present physical evidence of the former location of the little meeting house being the little pioneer graveyard amid the trees on the nearby hill.

It was on that pioneer farm that the elder Azariah T. Beckett grew to manhood. He received but a limited education, the school facilities of those days having been hardly organized to any formal extent, and he early began doing for himself, presently becoming engaged in the teaming line between Connersville and Cincinnati. He later and for some years was interested in a packing-house at Connersville and while thus engaged probably bought more hogs throughout this section of the country than any other man doing business here at that time. Following his trips to Cincinnati with flour and produce, it was nothing uncommon for him to drive back at night, without delay, in order that the "wild-cat" currency he would receive for his merchandise would not depreciate too greatly before he could pay it out. He presently began investing in farm lands and became the owner of a fine farm of five hundred acres in Jackson township, besides three hundred and fifty acres of land he gave to his children. It was in 1838 that he married Emily Ross, who was born on July 17, 1814, and to that union eight children were born, five of whom grew to maturity, but of whom but two are now living, William Edwin Beckett, who is living on the old Beckett homestead, and the subject of this sketch. The mother of these children died on October 28, 1881, and the father survived for many years, his death occurring on October 28, 1904. He had long taken an active part in public affairs and for years was accounted one of the leaders of the Republican party in his part of the county. He was twice appointed county commissioner, to fill vacancies on the board, and was afterward elected for four terms as a member of the board, thus having filled that important office for fourteen years. He also held numerous minor offices. He was an earnest member of the Masonic fraternity and was the first person initiated by the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Everton after the institution of that lodge.

The junior Azariah T. Beckett was about a year old when his father moved from the old homestead to another nearby farm and there erected the house in which the subject of this sketch is now living and where, with the exception of a few years, he has lived all his life. That house, despite the fact that it has weathered the storms of more than sixty winters, is still in excellent condition and Mr. Beckett and his family are very comfortably situated there. Mr. Beckett completed the course in the local school before he was seventeen years of age and then entered Earlham College, where he remained two years, at the end of which time he returned to the home farm and has since continued to make that his place of residence, with the exception of two or three years, and has been successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising. He formerly owned one hundred and eighty-six and six-tenths acres, but has recently sold part of this farm to his son, Erwin, who is managing the place.

Mr. Beckett has been twice married. On his twenty-fourth birthday he was united in marriage to Eleanor Taylor, who was born in the eastern part of Jackson township, this county, daughter of Richard Taylor and wife, and who was left an orphan at a tender age and was reared by her maternal grandfather, Thomas E. Curry, an old resident of Jackson township. To that union two children were born, daughters, Lina, who married Cort Heim and lives at St. Bernard, Ohio, and Esta, who married Raymond Beckett, also of St. Bernard, Ohio, and has two sons, Edward and Charles. The mother of these two daughters died in 1879, when the lastborn was but an infant, and in 1883 Mr. Beckett married Cora Murphy, who was born at Everton, this county, a daughter of William and Jane Murphy, and to that union four children were born, namely: Horace, who died when about three years of age; Emily, who died at the age of two years; Erwin, who is farming the home place, and Catherine, also at home. Erwin Beckett married Sarah Davis, who was born at Alquina, this county, daughter of Leander Lee and Elizabeth (Volland) Davis, the former of whom also was born at Alquina and the latter in Ohio. Mrs. Cora Beckett died on October, 1909, and Mr. Beckett is now making his home with his son and the latter's wife, on the old home place. Mr. Beckett is a member of the Universalist church. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, with the Knights of Pythias and with the Improved Order of Red Men and in the affairs of these several organizations has for years taken a warm interest.

"History of Fayette Counties, Indiana"
published by B. F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis, IN 1917

Deb Murray